The Student Room Group

Do You Support Scottish Independence?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SFsucks
Here is the question.

What about those that are not Scottish or English? Welsh, Northern Irish, Foreign from the UK? :colondollar:

(don't about it too much though. General point still conveyed :biggrin:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
I voted No i just don't think that it's viable in the long term for Scotland to go for independence.:smile:
Reply 42
For all intents and purposes Scotland has not been a country for over 300 years, merely an area of land within the country known as 'The United Kingdom'.

Any referendum should be done UK wide, as it will have far reaching implications for everyone in the UK.

Edit: Also I think it would be better to become a federation, with each state within the UK having its own parliament and Westminster acting as the federal parliament.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Umm there's a problem with the poll, the 3rd and last options are the same.
Original post by Empire08
For all intents and purposes Scotland has not been a country for over 300 years, merely an area of land within the country known as 'The United Kingdom'.

Any referendum should be done UK wide, as it will have far reaching implications for everyone in the UK.

Edit: Also I think it would be better to become a federation, with each state within the UK having its own parliament and Westminster acting as the federal parliament.

What about Scotland's right to self determination. 5 million Scots being forced to be part of a Union they do not want to be a part of would not be good for the country as a whole. Scotland would also be the place that would have the biggest change so the choice of independence should belong. I don't support independence, I just think only those in Scotland should be allowed to vote on it.
Reply 45
Original post by Stanley Baldwin
Yes - it is common sense.

There is nothing wrong with a nation running its own affairs with its own state. That being said, a bit sceptical of the EU. But that can always be tackled during independence.

How? Surely we would be at the mercy of the EU? How would we be in a strong position at all? We would be forced to accept what they want for entry surely? I don't understand how a SNP-er could be sceptical fo the EU when Salmond's plan is for EU integration at a much greater level than the current UK is? I don't really view the SNP as wanting independence, I think they just want a Scotland integrated into the core of the EU, as opposed to a Scotland integrated into the United Kingdom. Personally, I think the latter works well, which is why I would not vote for independence.
(edited 12 years ago)
At the moment I do, could change after the debates etc
Reply 47
Original post by chancellorroberts
What about Scotland's right to self determination.

The Scottish people self-determine as part of a democratic United Kingdom. "Scotland" does not have any right to self-determination, just the Scottish people - who are also the British people.

Anyway, I suspect the British people would vote against EU membership given a referendum in the past 10 years. It doesn't particularly bother me that they're not given one.

5 million Scots being forced to be part of a Union they do not want to be a part of would not be good for the country as a whole.

All states are only held together through the force of the government. If a right to secede is to be assumed, it must be justified. Norfolk couldn't go, Bristol couldn't go - why should Scotland be permitted to?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by L i b

Bristol couldn't go

Ah just you watch sir. The people of Dumnonia have not forgotten our roots.

Freeeedoooom!

Down with the Westminster parties! Down with their anti South West agenda! Down with all the London centric jokes centred around cider and farming! Down with the anti-Dumnonia agenda!

They don't understand us, those arrogant types from London :angry: We could survive by ourselves, don't you dare talk us down.
Reply 49
Original post by L i b
The Scottish people self-determine as part of a democratic United Kingdom. "Scotland" does not have any right to self-determination, just the Scottish people - who are also the British people.

Anyway, I suspect the British people would vote against EU membership given a referendum in the past 10 years. It doesn't particularly bother me that they're not given one.

All states are only held together through the force of the government. If a right to secede is to be assumed, it must be justified. Norfolk couldn't go, Bristol couldn't go - why should Scotland be permitted to?

Technically Scotland is no more of a nation than Norfolk or Bristol, but you're being very disingenuous if you're comparing regions of England seceding to Scotland seceding.

If a referendum is held and Scotland votes yes then Westminster can't (or at least shouldn't) block it. The argument that the rest of the UK should have a say in this is silly. That'd be like having an EU-wide vote on whether the UK should join the Euro.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by chancellorroberts
What about Scotland's right to self determination. 5 million Scots being forced to be part of a Union they do not want to be a part of would not be good for the country as a whole. Scotland would also be the place that would have the biggest change so the choice of independence should belong. I don't support independence, I just think only those in Scotland should be allowed to vote on it.

Like I said for all intents and purposes, Scotland has not been a country for 300 years, merely a province within the UK.

What is a 'Scot' anyway? Someone who happens to be living north of the English border at the time of the referendum? We are all UK citizens. There is no such thing as a Scottish national, only British national.

Right to self determination. What, they don't have that already? I must be imagining Scotland having it's own parliament and a separate justice system, with different laws. Not to mention MPs that sit in Westminster.

Erecting a border between Scotland and England will have huge implications for the entire UK. Any vote should be UK wide.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Hermóðr
The argument that the rest of the UK should have a say in this is silly.

So by your logic, if the people of Cornwall decided to hold a referendum on independence, no one else in the UK should have a say on the matter?

Original post by Hermóðr

That'd be like having an EU-wide vote on whether the UK should join the Euro.

Why do you think this is wrong?
Reply 52
So by your logic, if the people of Cornwall decided to hold a referendum on independence, no one else in the UK should have a say on the matter?

Well yeah.

Why do you think this is wrong?

Because the UK joining the Euro would have a much greater impact upon the UK (whether positive or negative) than it would on the Eurozone as a whole.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Like I said for all intents and purposes, Scotland has not been a country for 300 years, merely a province within the UK.

What is a 'Scot' anyway? Someone who happens to be living north of the English border at the time of the referendum? We are all UK citizens. There is no such thing as a Scottish national, only British national.

Right to self determination. What, they don't have that already? I must be imagining Scotland having it's own parliament and a separate justice system, with different laws. Not to mention MPs that sit in Westminster.

Erecting a border between Scotland and England will have huge implications for the entire UK. Any vote should be UK wide.

A bit unfair considering that England's population outnumbers Scotland's ten to one, which, incidentally, is why numerous Conservative governments have beem imposed on Scotland despite their well-documented unpopularity north of the border (there was one tory MP in Scotland last time I checked).

I'll point out that I don't support any political parties and am neither here nor there when it comes to Scottish independence. I do, however, think that in the case of a region/nation having a referendum on independence from a larger nation-state, it's folly to suggest that anyone other than the inhabitants of the nation/region in question should have a say on it.
Reply 54
Original post by Hermóðr
A bit unfair considering that England's population outnumbers Scotland's ten to one, which, incidentally, is why numerous Conservative governments have beem imposed on Scotland despite their well-documented unpopularity north of the border (there was one tory MP in Scotland last time I checked).

Here in Merseyside the Tories are also very unpopular, but I don't see anyone advocating independence to avoid a Tory government being 'imposed' on us. Scotland has about 10% of the population of the UK, so receives 10% of the votes, that's how it works. If people in Scotland do not like the Tories, it's a case of tough sh1t. Ditto with Merseyside.

Original post by Hermóðr

I do, however, think that in the case of a region/nation having a referendum on independence from a larger nation-state, it's folly to suggest that anyone other than the inhabitants of the nation/region in question should have a say on it.

Because it effects everyone, not just the region involved. You have to drawn the line somewhere, or everything will fall to pieces. Ok, so Scotland becomes independent without anyone else in the UK having a say on the matter. Then I guess Wales and N Ireland will follow. Then perhaps Cornwall, Isle of Wight, Lancashire, etc. See where this is going?
Reply 55
It affects everyone, but most of all it affects the nation/region involved.

Someone who is Scottish is someone with either Scottish parents or born in Scotland. Those living North of the border at the time of the resident may not all be Scottish but should still get a vote too if they are resident considering the possible will change will affect them greatly.

I was on about self-determination in the context of the referendum. If the rest of the UK were to vote it would be 10 - 1 against those most affected by it and a result could be imposed on Scotland which it did not vote for. You could argue the same happens in general elections, however that is a different situation as the election of a national government affects us all equally. A referendum on Scottish independence is completely different as Scotland would be affected to a much greater extent than the rest of the UK.
Reply 57
I'm no politician but I don't think Scotland could sustain itself independently. I'm all for them having their independence though, why not. I don't really understand it fully though, what would happen to the armed forces? I'm guessing they wouldn't have their own army, there's loads of Scots in the British Army. Would it basically be that they just have their own parliament to decide on things within Scotland? What would happen with tax when tax is used to fund the armed forces?

Just hope, if they do get it, they don't rip us off with north sea gas. They'd probably only end up crawling back after a period of time though, when it doesn't work.
Reply 58
Original post by L i b

UK is a joke. England occupies part of Ireland, Scotland and Wales. That is the reality. The Scottish people are not British, they are Scots. Scotland should be ruled by Scots, not by mainly English people in England. It is an extended empire, and Scots are waking up. Freedom is in sight, and in 2014 we will win back what has been a long drawn out battle for our national freedom. Scotland will be ruled form Edinburgh, and eventually Wales from Cardiff, Northern Ireland from Dublin and England from London.

All nations on this planet and their ancestors they represent have a right to sit equal with a voice at table of society of our world. Money and economical stability may rule alot but not all of us. Life is more than just a car, home and money in the bank! Its who we are while we are here that counts and fighting and understanding and listening to the voices of of those who feel there voice is being drowned out by other nations thinking there empire is far superior. Why should the interests of Scots at world summits be spoken by an English person living in England? This is Scotland and those who want to represent Scotland should be part of the Scottish nation. No problem with an English person representing Scotland and living in Scotland, but representing Scotland and being unconnected from Scotland, with a non-scottish flag and representing non-scottish interests is unacceptable to true scots. Scotland is older than the union and we have the blood of rebels in our veins, we will be free no matter what unionists say like you!
Reply 59
Original post by zuzu
UK is a joke. England occupies part of Ireland, Scotland and Wales. That is the reality. The Scottish people are not British, they are Scots. Scotland should be ruled by Scots, not by mainly English people in England. It is an extended empire, and Scots are waking up. Freedom is in sight, and in 2014 we will win back what has been a long drawn out battle for our national freedom. Scotland will be ruled form Edinburgh, and eventually Wales from Cardiff, Northern Ireland from Dublin and England from London.

All nations on this planet and their ancestors they represent have a right to sit equal with a voice at table of society of our world. Money and economical stability may rule alot but not all of us. Life is more than just a car, home and money in the bank! Its who we are while we are here that counts and fighting and understanding and listening to the voices of of those who feel there voice is being drowned out by other nations thinking there empire is far superior. Why should the interests of Scots at world summits be spoken by an English person living in England? This is Scotland and those who want to represent Scotland should be part of the Scottish nation. No problem with an English person representing Scotland and living in Scotland, but representing Scotland and being unconnected from Scotland, with a non-scottish flag and representing non-scottish interests is unacceptable to true scots. Scotland is older than the union and we have the blood of rebels in our veins, we will be free no matter what unionists say like you!

I simply cannot be bothered to wade through this cesspool of historical revisionism, bigotry and not even slightly ironic romanticism.

If I was a Scot, and you represent the nationalist movement, I would be bloody terrified because you sound like a nutter.

Original post by L i b
There's nothing wrong with it happening, but I think there's something morally wrong with seeking it. Just as there's nothing wrong with a country being composed entirely of people of one ethnicity - but to actively seek that is repugnant.

Why do you feel it is repugnant out of interest? I'm generally dismissive of nationalism in this context, but why repugnant?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending