The Student Room Group

My doctor has a Subaru car, is that unusual for a doctor? I thought they are chavvy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippyRN
are you calling Dr Gareth ( the housewife's favourite ) Davies a Chav ?

Yeahh obv! xD
Original post by Ice Constricter
At first I wanted to go with Red driving school because of the special discount (can't remember what the discount was now) I heard about online, but when I phoned them up, they said it wasn't available in my area, typical. So I decided I may as well go independent , but I came across this site (www.1stclassdriving.co.uk) and now I'm strongly inclined to go ahead with them. They even list the instructors they have available to you, based on your area, so you can see their faces before actually meeting them, so. . . . .yeah. If I don't go with them I'd probably go with a local independent ADI.

Have you ever driven before?
Because before you start you should always go on a test run with someone. To see how good you are and to get a basic understanding of the car or just go GT. I know youre probably like ''youre a girl and you dont drive so what are you talking about!'' But someone advised me to do that because the instructors try and give you as much lessons as possible to get money out of you.
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Have you ever driven before?
Because before you start you should always go on a test run with someone. To see how good you are and to get a basic understanding of the car or just go GT. I know youre probably like ''youre a girl and you dont drive so what are you talking about!'' But someone advised me to do that because the instructors try and give you as much lessons as possible to get money out of you.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but trust me this isn't me being arrogant, I already know the basic controls of a car even though I haven't driven before. The clutch, brake, gas, gears. . . .everything, I already know all their functions and how to use them, if I wanted I could have lied to you and said I drive and you wouldn't have second guessed me, cause I already know everything. Nah just kidding :wink:
But I know enough not to let an instructor scheme me outta my money by bull****ting me and wasting my time explaining things to me I already understand. Trust, I've always thought of my first driving lesson, I'm gonna tell the instructor I can already drive theoretically. Turn car on, push in the clutch, apply the footbrake, release handbrake, select first gear, then slowly release the clutch until the car starts edging forward, add some gas to increase speed.

I will say that to my instructor, if/when he asks me what I know about driving already.
Yeah I see what you're saying, but trust me this isn't me being arrogant, I already know the basic controls of a car even though I haven't driven before. The clutch, brake, gas, gears. . . .everything, I already know all their functions and how to use them, if I wanted I could have lied to you and said I drive and you wouldn't have second guessed me, cause I already know everything. Nah just kidding :wink:
But I know enough not to let an instructor scheme me outta my money by bull****ting me and wasting my time explaining things to me I already understand. Trust, I've always thought of my first driving lesson, I'm gonna tell the instructor I can already drive theoretically. Turn car on, push in the clutch, apply the footbrake, release handbrake, select first gear, then slowly release the clutch until the car starts edging forward, add some gas to increase speed.

I will say that to my instructor, if/when he asks me what I know about driving already.

Just to say that at the end there you're using 3 feet. (Clutch, brake, accelerator)
You'd generally engage first with the handbrake engaged, don't bother using the footbrake if you're on the handbrake, bring the clutch up to the bite point with enough revs to keep the engine from stalling and to give you enough grunt to move off and release the handbrake to smoothly move off, increasing the revs to build speed.

Regarding the OP, if I had to call out my doctor, and it wasn't for a 999 worthy situation, I'd want to know that they would be there quickly and an Imprezza is a darn fine way to doing just that.
Besides, if you can afford one it is a lot of car for the money.
Original post by mountainmetman
Just to say that at the end there you're using 3 feet. (Clutch, brake, accelerator)
You'd generally engage first with the handbrake engaged, don't bother using the footbrake if you're on the handbrake, bring the clutch up to the bite point with enough revs to keep the engine from stalling and to give you enough grunt to move off and release the handbrake to smoothly move off, increasing the revs to build speed.

Regarding the OP, if I had to call out my doctor, and it wasn't for a 999 worthy situation, I'd want to know that they would be there quickly and an Imprezza is a darn fine way to doing just that.
Besides, if you can afford one it is a lot of car for the money.

I know that seriously, you didn't tell me anything I didn't know already. But you're wrong about the footbrake, if you're about to release the handbrake you are meant to apply the footbrake (to stop you descending or ascending depending on whether you're up hill or downhill.
(edited 12 years ago)

Oh okay. Thats me told :smile: Did you read about this stuff? Wont it be harder to do it in reality though, because its different from just reading about it?
Are you a car fanatic by any chance?
I know that seriously, you didn't tell me anything I didn't know already. But you're wrong about the footbrake, if you're about to release the handbrake you are meant to apply the footbrake (to stop you descending or ascending depending on whether you're up hill or downhill.

Off Topic but:
Well I'm at work just now so can't check for word-of-god from the DSA Driving The Essential Skills or Roadcraft but no, you don't.
At no point in my L-test, Pass Plus, Advanced Driving Course or Assessments was that used unless you're facing downhill on a really steep incline. For all other uses you use acceleration control, the clutch and the handbrake. Especially uphill, unless you're driving an automatic, hill starts get very messy if you try to use the foot brake.
Original post by mountainmetman
Off Topic but:
Well I'm at work just now so can't check for word-of-god from the DSA Driving The Essential Skills or Roadcraft but no, you don't.
At no point in my L-test, Pass Plus, Advanced Driving Course or Assessments was that used unless you're facing downhill on a really steep incline. For all other uses you use acceleration control, the clutch and the handbrake. Especially uphill, unless you're driving an automatic, hill starts get very messy if you try to use the foot brake.

yep your right, unless your going down a steep hill where you do not need to accelerate immediately, you always start of with the handbrake, clutch and accelerator.

unless you have very good clutch control skills like moi and can release the break and find the bite + accelerate off immediately :colondollar: (on an incline this is)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending