The Student Room Group

Are A-Levels hard?

Scroll to see replies

I did zero work (literally revised about 10 mins before each exam) at GCSE, got 4 A*s/4 As/1 B, strolled into AS expecting it to be just a bit harder, and I'm failing. To be honest I think it's not that difficult if you put actual effort in, but if you - like me - don't care in the slightest, lose all your notes, never do homework and never revise, it's pretty difficult. Maths in particular is making me lose the will to live. I always enjoyed it but was never overly good at it; however, after a lot of deliberation I decided to go for it and well, biggest mistake of my life. But yeah, if you try hard and don't make the mistake of assuming you can cope doing no work, I think A-levels are manageable.
Original post by lostmymusic
I did zero work (literally revised about 10 mins before each exam) at GCSE, got 4 A*s/4 As/1 B, strolled into AS expecting it to be just a bit harder, and I'm failing. To be honest I think it's not that difficult if you put actual effort in, but if you - like me - don't care in the slightest, lose all your notes, never do homework and never revise, it's pretty difficult. Maths in particular is making me lose the will to live. I always enjoyed it but was never overly good at it; however, after a lot of deliberation I decided to go for it and well, biggest mistake of my life. But yeah, if you try hard and don't make the mistake of assuming you can cope doing no work, I think A-levels are manageable.

So you're saying put a lot of effort in? Thanks for your comment:smile:x
Original post by Id and Ego seek
It differs. If you're good at the theoretical stuff, then you'll find the looser essay subjects --English Literature, Politics -- hard, but you'll find Maths, Physics, etc. quite manageable. This is what I've heard. Maths, Chemistry, and Physics will always be hard for me.

I have never understood why people feel compelled to say this. Being "good" at theoretical stuff does not preclude you from also being good at "looser essay subjects".
Not 'VERY' hard ... AS level is OKAY if you spend time on it, you must UNDERSTAND the topics which you learn ... It is easy to copy a markscheme but understanding WHY the answer is the actual answer is what is required at A level

A2 is supposed to be a massive jump
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by BlackYellowGreen
Not 'VERY' hard ... AS level is OKAY if you spend time on it, you must UNDERSTAND the topics which you learn ... It is easy to copy a markscheme but understanding WHY the answer is the actual answer is what is required at A level

A2 is supposed to be a massive jump

It isn't. A2 is practically the same.
1st year Heriot Watt University accounting/Finance student.

I'll be straight forward.

Avoid time consuming subjects and take subjects which require intellect instead.

Examples include:
Math
Sciences: Biology, physics, chem
Economics
(Alternatively Business studies)

Have a good work ethic, you can achieve B's and A's in these subjects easily. you'll be set for a top tier uni. Hard work and Intellect are a lethal combination for success.

Cheers.
(edited 9 years ago)
This really depends on you. If you find maths easy right now, then AS shouldn't be too bad for both maths and physics.

In my opinion, I didn't feel there to be a jump between GCSE and A-level maths, in fact I did far better in my AS year than my GCSEs (due to some unforeseen circumstances).
Sorry... why are we talking about this two years after the thread was posted? lol
Alevels are brutal. The teachers aren't lying when they say there's a big jump.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're somewhat a step up. Albeit I did better in A levels than in GCSE so idk, I'm not one to talk.
In my opinion yes they are much harder, however if the effort is put in you will have nothing to worry about :smile: people seem to get paranoid because of the bad stigma around them, but it is mainly effort and you definitely have the brains.

A level is so much more interesting than GCSE's so revising is more interesting, even if it is more time consuming.

Best of luck!
If I were to put the amount of work that I did to get A's at GCSE into just AS, I would probably get D's at best.
Reply 52
Original post by justanotherindigo
Heya:smile:

I am currently in the middle of Year 11, still taking my GCSE's. I have just finished picking subjects for my A-Levels, which are: Maths, English Literature, Economics, Philosophy and AS Psychology. My parents wanted me to do mainly mathematical and theoretical subjects like Physics, Further Maths etc... (coz I'm good at maths and calculating stuff), but I didn't want to go down that route. I am predicted 7A*'s and 2A's at GCSE's , and already achieved an A* and a B. The career route I would like to follow is either journalism or becoming a social entrepreneur:colondollar: I am interested in writing and stuff so I genuinely think that this is the sort of thing for me:smile::smile:

Apart from the good news, I have a lot of good friends that have been complaining about A-Levels and how it's completely different from GCSE's. I understand that it gets more challenging as it goes along but I know people that got straight A*'s at GCSE level but scrapped an E and below at A-Level. So my question is to those who are currently studying A-Levels, how much of a jump is it from GCSE's? Especially maths, how hard is it?? I have heard a lot of complaints, and at some point, people did tell me to drop maths for a different subject (but I enjoy maths, which is why I would want to do it for A-Level)

Thanks a lot:smile:
Rahma Hussein xx

they are quite hard lol. make sure you start revising from september. i havent even started my revision yet
Reply 53
a levels are like trying to eat soup with a fork
At the start of Year 12 you go: Gah this is difficult, I wish I were doing GCSEs again.

During Year 12 you wonder if this is for you and how on earth you're going to pass, how difficult mocks are etc.

After exams you're tired and want to sleep all summer, then you get your results and feel slightly more motivated.

By Year 13 you should get the hang of it and study properly, be thinking about uni or apprenticeships or gap years or anything else.

At the start of uni you go: Gah this is difficult, I wish I were doing A-levels again.
So are some people blind at the fact that this thread is 4 years old?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Vikingninja
So are some people blind at the fact that this thread is 4 years old?

Still a valid topic though...

And the answer is that 77% get a C or better. Compared with 69% at GCSE.

Also 8.2% get at least one A*, vs 6.6% at GCSE.

So, A-levels are easier :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Still a valid topic though...

And the answer is that 77% get a C or better. Compared with 69% at GCSE.

It's more that a few have directly said their post to the OP who as far as things look isn't active and this thread got dug up.
Yes. The jump to A levels from GCSE's is pretty big. Since most courses are now linear (you do not do an AS exam, and instead only sit one exam at the end of A2), it is very difficult to find out where you are at. I have found the work load to be much more, and whereas for GCSE's you could get away with little revision, A levels require constant work. They are worth getting and can open many doors for you, but be prepared to work hard!

Quick Reply

Latest