The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tech
Cheers for all the great links! (including the Bodies thread - I somehow missed that programme completely, but enjoying it now)

How's it feel to have your exam out of the way man? I guess there's still the OSCE to go, have you got long to wait?

NP :smile: If you find Series 2, hook me up!

Feels great. Sun's shining, I'm doing some OSCE reading and TSRing. Positively gleeful graduation is like four months away.
Reply 381
Original post by digitalis
NP :smile: If you find Series 2, hook me up!

Feels great. Sun's shining, I'm doing some OSCE reading and TSRing. Positively gleeful graduation is like four months away.

Will do!

Good stuff man :smile: Yeah it's a beautiful day - got my laptop out on the balcony to enjoy it :cool:
Reply 382
Original post by Tech
Good stuff man :smile: Yeah it's a beautiful day - got my laptop out on the balcony to enjoy it :cool:

Someone's having some luxurious student years :wink:
Original post by Kinkerz
Ultra competent graduates? I haven't seen a lot of research saying much other than "at least as good as" or "equally competent".

You don't massively change a patient's treatment if the evidence says: drug A is just as good as drug B, just the patient with drug B has to go to the willow tree and derive it themselves!

The evidence I've seen has claimed things like "better clinical reasoning" and greater long-term "knowledge retention". How these things've been measured and exactly what has been measured I'm going to be interested in reading.

From what i have read recently differences between the outcomes of medical curricular are unlikely to be statistically significant, as it is argued that the students selected for medical courses are all academically high preforming, making them homogenous. Therefore, little if any difference would be noted in outcomes.

As for the long-term effects, iv yet to see anything substantial.
Reply 384
Original post by carcinoma
From what i have read recently differences between the outcomes of medical curricular are unlikely to be statistically significant, as it is argued that the students selected for medical courses are all academically high preforming, making them homogenous. Therefore, little if any difference would be noted in outcomes.

As for the long-term effects, iv yet to see anything substantial.

I don't think it's not just long-term effects. It seems to me to be all effects.

I feel like PBL could be useful in clinical years or on graduate entry courses where the core base knowledge has already ideally been achieved and things become more application-focussed. To use it as a method of acquiring the fundamentals seems illogical to me. It's slow, inefficient and more laborious. I'm not convinced it really makes you better at teamwork, communicating or helps retention of knowledge, either.

Ultimately, I don't think the evidence around it warranted such a drastic change in the way we train doctors. Though I will read more about this over the summer and may change my mind.

Having said this, I don't think lectures are a good way to deliver material either.
Original post by Kinkerz
I don't think it's not just long-term effects. It seems to me to be all effects.

I feel like PBL could be useful in clinical years or on graduate entry courses where the core base knowledge has already ideally been achieved and things become more application-focussed. To use it as a method of acquiring the fundamentals seems illogical to me. It's slow, inefficient and more laborious. I'm not convinced it really makes you better at teamwork, communicating or helps retention of knowledge, either.

Ultimately, I don't think the evidence around it warranted such a drastic change in the way we train doctors. Though I will read more about this over the summer and may change my mind.

Having said this, I don't think lectures are a good way to deliver material either.

But realistically PBL is not used to acquire knowledge, just to consolidate it once obtained and to direct clinical learning better. We only really use the PBL issues to identify the clinical medicine we need to cover for each unit.

The fundamental basic science learning outcomes are covered elsewhere in the course and in the life sciences study guide for us.

Is this not the same for you guys?
Reply 386
Original post by carcinoma
But realistically PBL is not used to acquire knowledge, just to consolidate it once obtained and to direct clinical learning better. We only really use the PBL issues to identify the clinical medicine we need to cover for each unit.

The fundamental basic science learning outcomes are covered elsewhere in the course and in the life sciences study guide for us.

Is this not the same for you guys?

It varies between groups. Some do it by each member taking an individual ILO or few ILOs, producing some form of handout or presentation and then presenting their findings back to the group. Others do it with all members doing all the ILOs and then having a discussion about them. With the former, it's more about acquiring knowledge; with the latter it fits more into what you're suggesting.

Either way, I strongly suspect that there are better ways to consolidate material. Group sessions that are led by a good tutor (so seminars), for instance. Applying knowledge to clinical vignettes. Doing well produced questions with good explanations for answers so you can see where you go wrong.

As for students deciding what they need to learn about for a given topic: I understand that we're supposed to be mature, independent, self-directed learners, but I'm not sure I or my medical student colleagues are qualified to say what is and isn't necessary to learn.
**** me, I'm bored ****less of revising.
Reply 388
Original post by Kinkerz
Someone's having some luxurious student years :wink:

You should see the jacuzzi :wink:

Also, you know you're an idiot when you can't find the divide button on your calculator... because it's actually the phone. :doh:
**** me, I'm bored ****less of revising.

Ditto am bout the start osce "revising" soon though!

Some one is taking the complete piss, ive just got my timetable for this week.
Surgery 8-6 each day nicely topped off with 2 x 12 hour weekend night shifts in A&E. Cant leave earlier on night shifts either - no bus.
So I celebrated my sixth year anniversary with a trip to a musical (I hate musicals but did it for her) and then a delightful talk about giving her more space. We never see each other anymore as it is 'cause neither of us have ****ing time.

I have no idea how to deal with this ****, can't wait for this term to ****ing end.
Positively gleeful graduation is like four months away.

I bet you £20 that you will be bitching to high heaven next year during your FY1 job. ^_^

Wanna make a bet? :biggrin:
Original post by RollerBall
So I celebrated my sixth year anniversary with a trip to a musical (I hate musicals but did it for her) and then a delightful talk about giving her more space. We never see each other anymore as it is 'cause neither of us have ****ing time.

I have no idea how to deal with this ****, can't wait for this term to ****ing end.

Damn. ****ty bro.

Know much about newport?
Damn. ****ty bro.

Know much about newport?

Yeah, I'm from quite near there. It's about as ****ty as my relationship status. It's an alright night out as long as you know well in advance it's a dive and expect nothing else from it. The people are normally scummy as **** as well. Why?

Aww mate didn't see your post.

Daymn that sucks.

You'll pull through I'm sure...
Yeah, I'm from quite near there. It's about as ****ty as my relationship status. It's an alright night out as long as you know well in advance it's a dive and expect nothing else from it. The people are normally scummy as **** as well. Why?

Just watching a show on it! http://www.channel4.com/programmes/bouncers/4od
Original post by Philosoraptor
Aww mate didn't see your post.

Daymn that sucks.

You'll pull through I'm sure...

Meh, it'll go two ways. Either she'll realise she doesn't care about me and isn't bothered when we don't speak or she'll miss it and come back. I figure I'll realise the state of play in two weeks or so. She's on tour in a week though so I'm not holding my breath. What a ****ing waste of time.

Oh Jesus, please don't base your opinion of the Welsh/where I'm from on that. I haven't watched it yet but I've heard there's some storming one liners on there. Might watch it now, got bugger all else to do.
Reply 397
Meh, it'll go two ways. Either she'll realise she doesn't care about me and isn't bothered when we don't speak or she'll miss it and come back. I figure I'll realise the state of play in two weeks or so. She's on tour in a week though so I'm not holding my breath. What a ****ing waste of time.

Sounds like a crappy situation and I'm sorry that it's turned out like this. It's never easy no matter when it happens. If you're feeling like it's all a waste of time though, is it worth sticking with her even if she does decide she wants to?

Oh Jesus, please don't base your opinion of the Welsh/where I'm from on that. I haven't watched it yet but I've heard there's some storming one liners on there. Might watch it now, got bugger all else to do.

Oh damn. I didn't realise it was that serious as in going on a break! :s Sorry to hear that bro
Reply 399

Sounds like a **** position to be in. Best of luck whatever happens man.

Latest

Trending

Trending