Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Best places to travel to on a gap-year?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I am considering going on a gap year in some time in the future. I want to basically go crazy!

What countries are best to go to? I would like to get some past experiences.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry1)
    OK, so I am considering going on a gap year in some time in the future. I want to basically go crazy!

I did China and Mongolia this past summer, absolutely amazing. Horse trekking, Mongolian sports festival (Naadam) and a voluntary project, then visiting the sights in China (Great Wall, Terracotta Warriors and all the places in Beijing.

I also visited Panama (central america) when I was younger, which was mint, but quite a while back now. It really depends what type of travelling you want to do. Hot, cold, trekking, sight-seeing, etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well I would like it predominantly hot, and I want to just chill on a beach somewhere while all my friends are stuck in Cold England. However, I do want to see some great sights as well, hence why i'm a bit stuck lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Backpack Europe and visit the Mediterranean (Spain,Italy, Greece & Greek Islands )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    New Zealand is a good all round destination for people on gap years, especially if you're a first time traveller. Lots to see (fjords, amazing beaches, dolphins & whales, mountains, rainforest, volcanoes, penguins, Maori culture, kiwis...etc) and do (bungy jumping, kayaking, glacier walking, skydiving, skiing/snowboarding, hiking, white water rafting, general chilling out on amazing beaches). Plus the transportation options are fantastic - you can rent cars and campervans at 18, there is hop on hop off party buses that take you to the 'main' places, cheap public bus services, trains, hitch-hiking is accepted....Great party destinations if thats what you're afteer (Queenstown!) Did I mention the amazing beaches?

And if you want to make your friends jealous, you can be hanging out on the aforementioned amazing beaches in NZ's summer, which is Dec-Feb....during the UK's winter! Bonus.

You could also get a working holiday visa and prolong your stay with some casual work.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry1)

thailand

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 14, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.