The Student Room Group

CRB Check - Has anyone had problems with a caution?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adam16
Hello,

I received a caution for theft in September 2015 when I was in a bar and stole someones mobile phone. I was arrested and given a conditional caution for theft and ordered to pay £200 fine. I wanted to get out of the station as soon as possible so I agreed to all this instead of going to court.

I recently applied for a job within the Government and did great on all the interview etc but when they did an enhanced check it came up which I expected. I did tell them about this but I still did not get the job.
I understand I made a huge mistake, I had drank a hell of a lot that evening and do not even remember much of the evening.
Since I have been turned down for that job, I have been suffering constantly thinking about it everyday and how it is going to affect my future. I made one mistake and I feel like I will be punished for life.

Please can someone explain to me what will happen with it being a 'Conditional Caution - Theft'.

Thank you to anyone who can help, its good to see a forum like this, I have visited numerous police websites and they offer no help in terms of explaining how the system works. I personally feel fed up and from seeing individuals online discuss situations it is clearly one that is serious and can lead to people suffering from depression and anxiety.

Probably best to lay off applying for those type of jobs until the caution is a bit older,I've also got a theft caution from 2013 (total misunderstanding but didn't want to go to court) and i do think 6 years is a bit excessive for something that didn't even make it to court to stay on file.
Can you help me with my caution problems as have got into lots of difficulties
My number is ********.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Reply 222
Hello,

My case is similar to the various other threads posted on this topic. As a naive 18 y.o I stupidly picked up a phone after a party, couldn't find the owner and eventually sold it. I received a police caution for, theft by finding. The incident was 5 years ago. I am aware that I must declare this on a DBS check.

I have one comping up at a new company on Tuesday. The company provides insurance and is regulated by the FCA. Could anyone shed any light on the rigidity of the FCA guidelines or requirements etc.

Essentially is this going to render me unemployable to this company? (Note: they are asking me to complete the form on my first day of employment)

What is the best action to take?

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ed1987
If I received a caution for shoplifting when I was 13years and I wanted to apply for a personal licence as a DPS, would this caution show on a CRB check? I'm now 31years old.
Hi David,

I got a simple caution (29.04.2013 at age of 20) for theft whilst at university on a night out heavily drunk and considering this was my 1st ever offence to say that the least I was devasted the next day and still drunk. However since the new law has passed and things have changed what does that mean in regards to my caution I received for theft? Will it be removed after 2 or 6 years ? Or is there for life?
Is anyone going to reply to this???

@randdom
@moonkatt
@Slowbro93
@David Wacks
(edited 8 years ago)
Google how long spent convictions take. Unless it's spent, you'll need to declare it... Theft is one of the worst things you can have a caution (or conviction) for as it's dishonest.

That said, I'm unsure how it would work if you were already given the job... Not sure on the legalities of withdrawing the offer two weeks in to employment if the company doesn't stipulate 'no criminal convictions' on the application form (i.e. if you've been honest at the first available opportunity, I can't see why they'd withdraw an offer in this instance).
Just curious,how about my case and what would be the outcome now and the future ?
Original post by curiousjo
If I received a caution for shoplifting when I was 13years and I wanted to apply for a personal licence as a DPS, would this caution show on a CRB check? I'm now 31years old.

Even if it showed up, it wouldn't be considered relevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2ndchancedave
Is anyone going to reply to this???

@randdom
@moonkatt
@Slowbro93
@David Wacks

Sorry personally I have no experience or knowledge of this area.
No problem. Thanks figured I may find some answers in here but that's not the case but oh well. Thanks
I have applied to join general bank staff for the east sussex nhs trust, but i have a caution for battery, the caution was recieved in sept 2015 and i have been working in the hospital since then, thou have recently applied to join their Bank staff, my dbs is waing to be signed of by a hr advisor, have I a worry? as i to thought a caution is not a conviction.
Hi

What ever happened at university . I came across this as I am in a similar position.

Thanks
Reply 233
I need advice on what options i have left. I was involved in a domestic violence in 2006. We took 3-4 hrs in the police station i said i did not want to take it to court thinking i did not want to have a record.i was not told i was cautioned or reprimanded. I was the victim over a jealous boyfriend and calling police was my only liberation at the time. I left the station with no paperwork. I have applied to Uni and enhanced check has been done and ir shows Assault occasioning actual bodily harm. Which i did not declare as i thought i had a clean record. Because of my Ex violence my future is ruined.
Can this be removed? And how do i go about it?
Reply 234
Hi ,I need an advice. I have one caution from 2005. i get offer a job with children and adult and i just wonder ,if this caution will appear on Dbs this year ,as in 2011 appeared:-(monika. please PM me.Thank you
Reply 235
It might appear if its not under the filtered list since rules changed in 2013. Some cautions will stay in our records indefinitely and will show up in enhanced disclosure. So if it appeared in 2011 it is bound to appear again.
Original post by kaczaza
Hi ,I need an advice. I have one caution from 2005. i get offer a job with children and adult and i just wonder ,if this caution will appear on Dbs this year ,as in 2011 appeared:-(monika. please PM me.Thank you
Reply 236
Hi, I just need a bit of advice.

I've applied for a position via an agency which is a government body, I've been offered the job but I need to go and visit the agency this week and submit documentation and undergo CRB/DBS check (either standard or enhanced, I don't know which yet)

Basically, in July 2010 when I was foolish and in my early 20s I got a caution for shoplifting, and not only that on new year this year I was on a night out with friends and got caught with a drug on me and cautioned for possession. :frown:

What I want to know is, what will definitively show up and where? I'm considering going to the local police station to see if I can see definitive advice from them. It's not that I want to necessarily be dishonest or hide it, it's just getting this job is a very exciting prospect for me and I want to give myself the best possible chance to ensure it won't fall through. I'm very worried!

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me.
Reply 237
Original post by mra16
Hi, I just need a bit of advice.

I've applied for a position via an agency which is a government body, I've been offered the job but I need to go and visit the agency this week and submit documentation and undergo CRB/DBS check (either standard or enhanced, I don't know which yet)

Basically, in July 2010 when I was foolish and in my early 20s I got a caution for shoplifting, and not only that on new year this year I was on a night out with friends and got caught with a drug on me and cautioned for possession. :frown:

What I want to know is, what will definitively show up and where? I'm considering going to the local police station to see if I can see definitive advice from them. It's not that I want to necessarily be dishonest or hide it, it's just getting this job is a very exciting prospect for me and I want to give myself the best possible chance to ensure it won't fall through. I'm very worried!

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me.

I have looked at a website...i tried to copy paste but it wont let me. According to it...theft where no violence is involved and drug offences that involve simple possession are eligible for filtering (will not show up)....to my understanding it may or may not show up depending on the job you are applying. If the chief officer thinks its relevant to the job they can disclose it.
I just started Radiography and needed enhanced disclosure cert to get in. My only run in with the police was when I had received a caution 14 years ago for possession of cannabis. I read a lot of the contributions on this thread which said that you don't need to mention a caution that's over 7 years old so I didn't mention it on my ucas form.

However the caution did show up on my enhanced disclosure cert and I had to submit it to the Uni. So the contributors who've said that a caution never disappears from your record for an enhanced disclosure are right.

I was called to sit before a panel of six lecturers one afternoon but was just told that they were still happy to have me on the course but they couldn't guarantee my membership of the professional body (they mentioned it would be highly unlikely to be an issue) and that i would always need to disclose in all future applications.

I would therefore say to anyone applying to a course that needs enhanced disclosure to be put everything that they can remember down.

If something does come up on your cert that you had forgotten about, you can call the body that issued the cert to have it taken off as you believe it to irrelevant and/or disproportional to the security needs of the course. This worked for me but it was too late, I'd already told the uni.
1 Cautions are not convictions, they are a slap on the wrist after admitting and signing to say you are guilty of an offence. One has simply not been officially convicted by the courts. When cautions are issued your police history has already been reviewed.

2 Depending on the offense type the caution may be eligible for filtering after an allotted time, search Dbs filtering. If for example you were over 18 and shared an illegal substance (even a tiny amount without being paid for it), this is still supply and you will be on the barred list forever for the supply of a controlled substance.

3 Consequences:

So what does all this mean, let's assume that you have a caution for the supply of drugs.

A) The good news is you don't have to disclose it as most jobs only required basic crb (now known as Dbs), this type of check only reveals any unspent convictions, nothing else!

B) You will always be limited in bettering yourself as more money comes hand in hand with more responsibility and more responsibility tends to cross over the boundaries of where the restrictions are applied, however some management roles are still achievable e.g working in an office or factory or shop etc.

You may even wish to try your hand at even explaining the circumstances there are some nice people out there, not many mind as that what capitalism does to people.

4 There are other types of Dbs checks a company can do on you (with your permission) these are standard and enhanced checks but you have to be applying for certain roles or regulated work e.g finance, working with children or vulnerable persons etc. If your not undertaking this type of work they cannot be requested.

5 This is were people get confused and scared of applying for work they need to understand what constitutes exposure to the above.

Well it's is woolly but I will try my best, It all comes down to reasonable and practical exposure durations and levels of responsibility (remember that) e.g.

I am a carer
I work full time with kids
I have periods of sole access
Etc

Or

I work in a hospital
I have limited access
But if I do something the risk carries greater impact!

6 Higher than basic checks are required on the following examples:

Taxi driver will require a license
A teacher
A career
Police officer
Day care in a gym carer
Home carer
Security officer (comes under security clearance)
Working in health care, even as a maintenance man or cleaner.
Etc.

Let's say you worked in a gym if you have limited exposure to vulnerable persons e.g cleaner, maintenance, receptionist etc you only need a basic (less risky environment than a hospital you see). If your running the day care in the gym you will need to do a higher level check.

Let's say you were at a local business selling drinks and kids came up to you to buy your drinks, this is ok as only a basic check would be needed by your employer.

Let's say a friend asked you to look after her kids this is not regulated, it is a private arrangement and unless your conviction specifically prohibits you (e.g child sex offender), it is ok to look after them.

7 But let's put Dbs to one side as it is orientated around the protection of vulnerable persons and let's look at other limitations that most over don't factor:

Now things get tricky if you apply for work involving national security e.g government workers or for a regulated company such as aviation, shipping ports, power companies, water companies etc or any work that there is a risk of terrorism, these require other levels of vetting and they are geared to determine ones full back ground, their medical history (ESP mental stability), financial dealings and even start to explore your family a little.

Security vetting will show everything, even things you have not been charged or cautioned for e.g what's held on the police computer.

The authorities will come back and say if you have been cleared or not, I am not sure what detail if any would be passed to an employer.

So you see there is not just one channel of limitation there are others and the more electronic and terrorism that exists the more stealth restrictions that will be applied in the years to come.

There truly is no rehabilitation and you are punished by a classification but one should appreciate that it would of been one of the ugly sisters that married the prince of that arrangement worked on classifications.

Take comfort in knowing your working for the top 1% as they definitely got you now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending