University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

huddersfield 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miss Sweet
Hey, think am going to be starting this year aswell :smile:
on the childhood studies course.
Also, i just wanted to ask what kind of people do you get there?

friendly?

How far are the shops from the uni itself?

we are friendly and and you have the shops just a 4 mintue walk from the uni into the town centre. the uni is in the town centre on the edge you only have to cross the road to get to town centre shops
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by Sophieburgon
we are friendly and and you have the shops just a 4 mintue walk from the uni into the town centre. the uni is in the town centre on the edge you only have to cross the road to get to town centre shops

oh thats great......

how far is the bus station from the uni???
how long would it take to walk from it to the uni??
the bus station is located at the top of town which is like a 10 minute walk

what student accommdation will you be staying in
oh thats great......

how far is the bus station from the uni???
how long would it take to walk from it to the uni??

what student accommdation will you be staying in.

what student accommdation will you be staying in.

i don't know yet :s-smilie:
i don't know yet :s-smilie:

k cause if u stay in shrothes hall the bus goes from the bus stop where the arts building is and if u are at ashenhurst you be catching the same bus as me but i am living at home
k cause if u stay in shrothes hall the bus goes from the bus stop where the arts building is and if u are at ashenhurst you be catching the same bus as me but i am living at home

ohh rytt, do you know any bus which goes straight from the bus station to hudd uni???
ohh rytt, do you know any bus which goes straight from the bus station to hudd uni???

no or you can catch the free town bus but that stops at a bus stop up the road a bit that serves the uni but it stops across the road from the uni chruch and it goes straight the bus station

i do have a map but it wont let me upload it on here
Reply 48
you'll love Tokyo's, Camel Club and Revs :smile:
Reply 49
looking forward to all this :smile:
I'm starting Software Development in 2012, and I'm staying at (big) Aspley Hall (booked my room, don't remember the block/number, though).
Any other Computing/Software Development students?
On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone know the download/upload speeds for Aspley? I've heard about paying more for an upgrade, but can't see that now :/
See you all next year! :biggrin:
Reply 51
Hi there,

I was going to apply to Aspley however the fee for pullouts put me off, however I did vist and research it extensively since I didnt like the sounds of Storthes Hall. I now plan to move there in year 2 after I (hopefully) get my grades and get in, although im staying at home for year 1 (I live in Hudds).

There internet services are run by an ISP called Ask4 (http://ask4.com/) and uses a ethernet LAN inside and says it offers Aspley 10Mb per room connection. Theres 3 upgrades as far as Ive heard:

1. Speed increases (I dont by how much)
2. Gaming/Entertainment package (lowers latency, unblocks certain network firewall rules)
3. Extra MAC adresses (allows use of your own router, eg. Apple wi-fi Airport for up to 5 devices, however must use ISPs gateways ect. not as a DHCP router)

Im asuming the speeds seem as advertised as Ive not heard any compilants like there has been at Storthes Hall, however im not keen on these LAN configurations that most Uni halls are doing now, dont wana be exposing my expensive rigs to the nasty security issues that some people will probably have, id pay for my own DSL or Fibre line if they offered it.
Original post by amalkin93
Hi there,

I was going to apply to Aspley however the fee for pullouts put me off, however I did vist and research it extensively since I didnt like the sounds of Storthes Hall. I now plan to move there in year 2 after I (hopefully) get my grades and get in, although im staying at home for year 1 (I live in Hudds).

There internet services are run by an ISP called Ask4 (http://ask4.com/) and uses a ethernet LAN inside and says it offers Aspley 10Mb per room connection. Theres 3 upgrades as far as Ive heard:

1. Speed increases (I dont by how much)
2. Gaming/Entertainment package (lowers latency, unblocks certain network firewall rules)
3. Extra MAC adresses (allows use of your own router, eg. Apple wi-fi Airport for up to 5 devices, however must use ISPs gateways ect. not as a DHCP router)

Im asuming the speeds seem as advertised as Ive not heard any compilants like there has been at Storthes Hall, however im not keen on these LAN configurations that most Uni halls are doing now, dont wana be exposing my expensive rigs to the nasty security issues that some people will probably have, id pay for my own DSL or Fibre line if they offered it.

I didn't like the look of Storthes, so I went with Aspley. I'll send them an email and see what they say, but the site says "High Speed Internet packages up to 100Mb/s", which I would have thought would have been advertised.
Thanks for the info ^_^
Reply 53
Think the 100Mb/s is a mistake, I dont think theres any where in Huds with that sort of speed, VirginMedia offer fibre to the centre at like 30-50 and BT have just rolled out FTTC in my town of 20-40mb. I think its 10 but they have a 20 option?
Reply 54
Not many people seem to like Storthes, thinking now maybe i shouldn't have booked accommodation there. Anyone else staying there? :smile:
I need to accept my offer but I think I'll be going to Huddersfield to do Textiles :smile: I didn't get to see much of the town though as it was raining when I had my interview, whats it like?
Reply 56
Very friendly, but small compared to cities, its got a fair range of shops and nightlife but nothing really compared to Manchester or Leeds ect. It kinda depends on your lifestyle preferences, the areas mainly countryside and greenland so for outdoors actives its excellent but for clothes shopping trips you usually need to go to Sheffield or Leeds, however they are planning a new shopping centre but dont know when that will be done.

Photo gallery: http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/huddersfield/
Reply 57
Ill be staying at storthes. I looked at a few other places but ive heard at storthes has a better atmosphere because it is where the majority of first years go. But it just depends what your in to.
Reply 58
Just wondering but why have so many people been put off by Storthes hall? It seemed fine when I went and I was planning on staying there but now I'm not so sure whether I should or not.
Reply 59
Well myself since im local, I know a few people who have brothers or sisters or friends there who dont like it, a lot of people seem to say it can get a bit mad or chaotic at times and that its remote location makes it inconvenient for people without cars.

If you go back a few pages on this Huddersfield forum you will probably find a few posts complaining about it too.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=413917

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending