The Student Room Group
Reply 1
MrKeen
Hi all,
Im considering applying to Oxford to study a joint course- probably History + German or Classics + German. Could anyone tell me what its like to study joint courses- for instance, how is the workload divided between the subjects? I would also be grateful if anyone could tell me how much ancient history there is in the classics course.
Thanks.

Hey
I'm reading for a joint school subject. It's not either of those that you mentioned, but it is an arts subject, so I can try to give you a reasonable response.
Oxford joint schools are really well-constructed to ensure that you don't end up doing two degrees' worth of work, or two little in each of the subject. There are certain 'core' papers which are often either crucial papers in one of the subjects, or 'bridge' subjects between the two. For example, I'm reading Philosophy and Theology, so one of my core papers is philosophy of religion. I would say that the workload is slightly more than those reading single honours subjects, but not overly so. I do four essays per fortnight instead of three for single honours theologians. Tutors are generally receptive to the fact that you have another subject to think about, and often you study particular aspects of each subject which are specially selected to relate to the other. Another good thing is that you are part of two academic circles, so you would have friends who are historians or classicists and also modern linguists. Hope that helps.
Reply 2
MrKeen
Hi all,
Im considering applying to Oxford to study a joint course- probably History + German or Classics + German. Could anyone tell me what its like to study joint courses- for instance, how is the workload divided between the subjects? I would also be grateful if anyone could tell me how much ancient history there is in the classics course.
Thanks.

Classics and German depends very much on the course you chose to take - you can do German Prelims then Classics, or Classics Mods before you start any German.

If you go for Classics Mods, it then also depends on your knowledge of Greek and Latin. If you have never done either before, and take the Mods II, you do intensive language learning, the literature papers, and an ancient history unit. If you have done Latin and/or Greek, you do Mods I and don't do the ancient history unit as a core module - instead you do both Homer and Virgil. The Oxford Classics course is very literary, so if you really want ancient history, it might not be suitable for you - it covers a lot of literature, language and some philosophy. You can study some histories as part of Latin and Greek authors, and the 'special subjects' (ie the options you can chose) have history within them - eg you can do Aristophanes and Political comedy (or something like that), which has a lot of contemporary history within it. Then there's also art and arch. units. Really, for Mods (the first exams you do, after 5 terms) it's mostly literature. When you get to Greats (the 7 terms leading up to finals) there's a lot more ancient history to chose.

It's all kinda confusing - pm me if you think there's anything I could help you with!
Reply 3
i am also thinking of doing a Joint School Course - History and French or German
Reply 4
[could you do a joint course with medicine ? or is that a big no no
Reply 5
s-k
[could you do a joint course with medicine ? or is that a big no no

No.
Reply 6
Medicine and Law - that'd be great!
Reply 7
Tek
Medicine and Law - that'd be great!

There'd be an orgasmic amount of latin involved.
Reply 8
Amazing

Orgasmic? Some people get their thrills in strange ways.
Law and Economics would be more fun I think. Or Law and History.

But Latin is good, no?
Reply 10
Helenia
Orgasmic? Some people get their thrills in strange ways.

Well it's better than French...
Reply 11
deianra
Law and Economics would be more fun I think. Or Law and History.

Michael Howard (Oh, worshipful, mighty leader!) read Economics before changing to a Law Part II at which University? Oh yes, the one and only Cambridge.
Reply 12
Tek
Michael Howard (Oh, worshipful, mighty leader!) read Economics before changing to a Law Part II at which University? Oh yes, the one and only Cambridge.

And Peterhouse is definitely worth fondling yourself over.

Latest

Trending

Trending