The Student Room Group

Oxford interview anxiety!

Hi everyone, I recently had an oxford interview for French and linguistics, but the interviewers asked me at the end of my interview a question they said they’ve been asking everyone which is whether I’d be interested in studying just sole French, and that this doesn’t mean I would get that offer but it’s just for them to know. Obviously now I’m wondering whether that’s the case or if them asking me that question means that I was weaker in the linguistics parts?

Thank you. Please share your thoughts.
(edited 4 months ago)
It's a normal thing to be asked
yh it happens sometimes that oxford offer ppl courses that aren't quite what they applied for cos they offer a lot of joint honours courses. dunno if that means they are planning to just offer u french or are merely gathering info from everyone tho. what did you say btw?
Original post by steamedclams
yh it happens sometimes that oxford offer ppl courses that aren't quite what they applied for cos they offer a lot of joint honours courses. dunno if that means they are planning to just offer u french or are merely gathering info from everyone tho. what did you say btw?

Hi, thank you so much for replying. Even though I probably I wouldn’t study just a French course because I really want my joint honours, I told the interviewers that I’d be happy with French sole.
I would honestly take them at their word, they have no reason to lie about saying the same to everyone. I believe they do this in case French and Linguistics spaces fill up, but they still have applicants they want to offer a place for French. It also could mean they received less applicants for French than normal. I honestly wouldn't think about it, it's hard to believe they would ever be as bold as to say that because they believe you did poorly in the linguistics part. I know that interviews can be stressful, though, and it's hard to not overthink it. Good luck!
Original post by LondonBlake
I would honestly take them at their word, they have no reason to lie about saying the same to everyone. I believe they do this in case French and Linguistics spaces fill up, but they still have applicants they want to offer a place for French. It also could mean they received less applicants for French than normal. I honestly wouldn't think about it, it's hard to believe they would ever be as bold as to say that because they believe you did poorly in the linguistics part. I know that interviews can be stressful, though, and it's hard to not overthink it. Good luck!

Hi! I’m finding it really difficult not to overthink as I would be heartbroken to get an offer that I won’t be able to accept cause it’s not the one I want - but what you said is really reassuring so I’ll try to put it to rest. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending