The Student Room Group

Are you glad you took a gap year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Not a single person has said no?

I took an unplanned gap year (missed my university offers) and have regretted most of it. A few call centre jobs and working at an activity centre for those with special needs has been my highlight up until January.

Since then I've been at home learning Spanish like crazy (doing the a-level in June) and focusing on my Maths resits.

To be honest I've been slightly depressed for most of the year.

Although I've got a Camp placement in Pennsylvania from mid-June for a couple of months. I really hope that makes this year worthwhile!

I hate how everyone says theyve really grown up in their year; I still feel like the same immature kid who left school last June.
Reply 41
Original post by Ree69
Not a single person has said no?

I took an unplanned gap year (missed my university offers) and have regretted most of it. A few call centre jobs and working at an activity centre for those with special needs has been my highlight up until January.

Since then I've been at home learning Spanish like crazy (doing the a-level in June) and focusing on my Maths resits.

To be honest I've been slightly depressed for most of the year.

Although I've got a Camp placement in Pennsylvania from mid-June for a couple of months. I really hope that makes this year worthwhile!

I hate how everyone says theyve really grown up in their year; I still feel like the same immature kid who left school last June.

I wouldn't worry too much about the growing up thing. I'm qute a bit older than most people and even after my 6 gap years, I haven't grown up!

It's not possible to be a proper grown up until you go through all the crap life has to throw at you. And even then it's a struggle. You'll be fine, have an awesome time working at camp. That's one thing I wish I'd done :smile:
Reply 42
I've had a pretty dull gap year. It was kind of necessary because I just had no idea what I was doing this time last year (art school disillusioned me, so to speak:wink:)so I can't really say I've regretted it.
Planned to go travelling, but my funds and charm only got me as far as Scotland and then back home again. Since then I've just been working various entry level/part time/temporary jobs and festering at home.
Reply 43
I rushed into education despite wanting a gap year. My family and teachers kept telling me to go straight to uni which I really didn't want to do, but in the end I took their advice. The result was disastrous and in the end I just ended up taking a year out from uni. My teachers and friends all looked at me as if I was a failure for dropping out, but in all honesty I couldn't care less. Despite spending my gap year looking for a job with no avail I am happy I took it as I got an idea of what it's like to be in the real world. I came back to university fresh, more academically and socially eager, and I am overall more happy with where I am than I was during my first year.
Yes! I'm really glad I took this year out between school and university. Like some other, it was unplanned because I missed out on my firm uni (Nottingham) by a couple of marks, and didn't get in. I didn't really want to go to my insurance choice (Staffordshire) as the course wasn't as challenging, the campus not as nice, lower in rankings table etc.

So, I decided to do a Year In Industry placement at an Engineering firm. This is especially useful for me as I'm going into an Engineering degree next year! (Yes, I've got my place now officially at my first choice uni! Woo hoo!)

I moved out from my parents house, and now I'm living two hours away from them. I pay my own rent, buy my own food, phone bill, clothes etc on the salary I'm earning in my placement and I'm managing to save about have my pay check each month for spending at uni.

Okay, so I don't go out that much and don't have my friends my own age in the area but I've become so independant I love it! This year has made me grow up so quickly, and I've become used to doing things on my own. It's going to give me great experience, and employer's will hopefully be impressed by it.

It's been a nice break from education, and I'm doing something productive with my time! I can't imagine if I'd gone for my insurance choice. I would probably regret the decision for the rest of my life.

Now I've got a year living on my own, a year's work experience and a place at Nottingham Uni under my belt.

So in short again, yes very glad I took a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest