The Student Room Group

How much do you drink a week?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't count units, but I know I drink WAY too much at the moment. I go through stages of hardly drinking to drinking like a crazy person. I'm getting through a litre bottle of vodka a week presently, with more (oh so much more) on nights out at the weekend. And I'm only 5' 2.5".

I need to be sensible and cut down. But I do like me a drink.
Been tracking it over the past week, and since last Saturday night I have consumed 41 units (probably give or take a few since i was trying to work out non-standard measures). Apparently this is 3196 calories and the equivalent of 11 burgers. Might try cutting down :nothing:

The stupid thing is, I don't drink nearly as much as a lot of people yet it still comes out as a colossal amount. I have maybe 4 or 5 drinks a night when I go out but I guess when you go out even 4 times a week it adds up.
Reply 22
Original post by cloppy
I don't count units, but I know I drink WAY too much at the moment. I go through stages of hardly drinking to drinking like a crazy person. I'm getting through a litre bottle of vodka a week presently, with more (oh so much more) on nights out at the weekend. And I'm only 5' 2.5".

I need to be sensible and cut down. But I do like me a drink.

I'm kinda the opposite. I very rarely go out and get drunk, but I do consistently have a couple of beers each evening, and maybe 4-5 a couple of times a week. I just really like nice beer, but it soon adds up to 30-40 units.
Hardly any, my alcohol consumption is pretty inconsistent. But really I must only drink maybe once a month and I'd say that's an average, so maybe I'll go 2 months without drinking and then drink twice the next month.

I have no problem with drinking, just I'm always quite busy, I work a job where I generally get up at 6am everyday and I always work weekends.

Also for some reason I get horribly hungover off a relatively small amount of alcohol. Like I'll go out and spend about £10 - £15 on drinks, whereas my friends all spend about £40 on a night out. Yet the next day they're fine and I'm violently throwing up and feeling like I actually want to die. Anyone else get this?

Maybe I'm just intolerant to alcohol or something.
I drink alcohol like an absolute fish. I must have drunk like 30 units last week...am i a bad muslim

Joke.
Original post by FluffyLion
Nil. Zilch.

Personal choice, but I figure it's worth answering.

+1
Reply 26
Yeah its quite alot for me too.

Im guessing 40 units for me.

I need to cut down
I don't really know. I only drink once a week these days but I usually get through a third of a 70cl bottle of rum pre-drinking and then buy a couple of doubles when I'm out. So about 15 units? That doesn't actually sound too bad although I know you're not suppose to drink the recommended weekly allowance all in one night.
Reply 28
I think it's relative common sense, but also worth stating, that consistent moderate drinking is actually less harmful than spiked heavy drinking; ie, if one was to have a couple of beers every night, it's far less dangerous than being sober until Saturday and then consuming the equivalent alcohol in a single party.
Original post by bide_your_time
Currently nothing as I'm on a month long break. But an average week is normally 45ish and a heavy week 55-70

How the hell do you manage that - absinthe? :tongue:

Original post by ArtGoblin
I don't really know. I only drink once a week these days but I usually get through a third of a 70cl bottle of rum pre-drinking and then buy a couple of doubles when I'm out. So about 15 units? That doesn't actually sound too bad although I know you're not suppose to drink the recommended weekly allowance all in one night.

:colone:
Reply 30
I dont drink , although that might change if I had a social life.
(edited 12 years ago)
no real pattern or habit for me. Might go for a month without tasting a single drop, or might get hammered 2 or 3 times in a week. Depends how little else there is to do.
Original post by thegodofgod
How the hell do you manage that - absinthe? :tongue:

:colone:

in fairness, they did say it took them a week for the 55-70.

I usually get in just upward of 25 units when out drinking, and this is once, occasionally twice a week, so it's not that hard to drink over 55 units in a week.
Reply 33
Nothing, i don't like the cost of it, i have other things to spend my money on, like more food!
Reply 34
Original post by py0alb
UK guidelines are entirely meaningless, arbitrary, and scientifically unjustified.

Always wondered about this, so we should 100% fob it off?

Say you regularly have gone over 21 units a week for the past 3 years?
Reply 35
Some weeks none, but if I do drink I usually only drink once a week. I'd say about 7 units or so.
I guess 21 units per week, whilst I'm home from uni. I normally have 1 large glass of red wine per evening. Some evenings I have none at all, and others I have a bit more so it probably balances out to about 21 units.

At uni I can rarely afford to buy a bottle - sometimes I'll get one of those mini bottles if I'm feeling flush but that's rare.
Reply 37
I only really drink on rugby match days, but even that's becoming a real effort to sink. I'm happier just having a glass of lime cordial and soda water when I'm out.
Reply 38
Original post by The Entity
Always wondered about this, so we should 100% fob it off?

Say you regularly have gone over 21 units a week for the past 3 years?

Well it goes without saying that:

a) everyone's body is different, so general rules like this are meaningless.

b) it depends what and how you drink, having a couple of beers or a large glass of wine each night is much better for you than not drinking all week and then doing 30 vodka shots on a saturday night.

c) its a sliding scale: the Danish recommendation is something like 35 units a week, so you're probably absolutely fine up until around that point, at which point each extra unit adds a 0.00001% chance of you getting ill later in life or something like that.

A much simpler, more accurate guideline is to try never to drink until you're sick, either that night or the next day. If you find yourself throwing up, you need to cut back.

Its like coffee, millions of people drink coffee on a daily basis because they like the taste and enjoy the buzz with no ill effect whatsoever, but no-one deliberately binges on coffee until they pass out or throw up. Well, we should aim to have the same healthy relationship with alcohol. Its a societal thing.
Usually go out once a fortnight and have about 15-20 units on that night. Don't really like alcohol, just drink it because I enjoy being drunk so I never have it unless I'm going out.

Quick Reply

Latest