The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

I want to start a martial art but I dont know what to choose.
Could you guys help me?
Look at the post above yours... think about what you want to do with the martial art? Compete? Be a good fighter?

Go to some martial arts clubs around your area and try some out.
ForeverIsMyName
Look at the post above yours... think about what you want to do with the martial art? Compete? Be a good fighter?

Go to some martial arts clubs around your area and try some out.

I want to defend myself from thugs trying to mug mein the street.
Rukmedes
I want to defend myself from thugs trying to mug mein the street.

Then you should probably do athletics; the best way to win a fight is not be in one if you don't have to be. If you're talking about one on one combat, pure Brazilian Juijitsu might be an idea, as well as kickboxing. If you're talking about fighting more than one person, don't bother learning a martial art, it won't help.
Reply 784
Hi all. Ive been learning Wing Tsun for a year now, doing my grade 5 test in a week or 2. After im grade 5 ill be grey t shirt instead of white :biggrin:. Its a great martial art and my instructor is really good, hes the 3rd best in the UK.
I plan to carry it on in a club at uni, luckily Warwick has a Wing Tsun club, and in the holidays to train at my home club.
ForeverIsMyName
Depends exactly what you're looking for! I recommend Brazilian Jujitsu and Kickboxing, which will give you a nice mix!

I dont think I will like kickboxing, is there a difference between jujitsu and brazilian jujitsu?
Confectionary
I dont think I will like kickboxing, is there a difference between jujitsu and brazilian jujitsu?

Juijitsu is a Japanese martial art; BJJ is something developed by the Gracie family in order to be more accessible to people with less power, and tries to make the art extremely practical. It's dropped some of the old traditions, but the principles are very similar.
Reply 787
what can I do to join?
Reply 788
ForeverIsMyName
Juijitsu is a Japanese martial art; BJJ is something developed by the Gracie family in order to be more accessible to people with less power, and tries to make the art extremely practical. It's dropped some of the old traditions, but the principles are very similar.

juijitsu used to never be its own section or type of martial arts for example as karate is. wasn't considered a style, it simply was apart of the other martial arts and the word was used to focus on the grappling angle or grappling technique of that martial art system.
http://contenderasia.com/ - David Pacquette's the khru who does my muay thai classes at uni! :biggrin: *is proud to be trained by a world-class fighter*
Reply 790
fight how do many of you feel about this fight? what would you do different from both sides?

you are approtched by a person not feeling so well towards the way your handling something. they just simply dont like you. your walking around a park when this person come up to you and starts talking trash, he is activly pushing you around as well. what steps would all of you take?
da_nolo
fight how do many of you feel about this fight? what would you do different from both sides?

you are approtched by a person not feeling so well towards the way your handling something. they just simply dont like you. your walking around a park when this person come up to you and starts talking trash, he is activly pushing you around as well. what steps would all of you take?

In both cases, take them down using either BJJ takedowns, or if you can wrestle well, do that. Tie them up, put them on the floor and chances are they won't even have a guard. Wait for them to give you their back.

Anyone who has done BJJ for more than a month would be able to beat both those guys.

As said above, though, if you can avoid it, do.
Reply 792
ForeverIsMyName
In both cases, take them down using either BJJ takedowns, or if you can wrestle well, do that. Tie them up, put them on the floor and chances are they won't even have a guard. Wait for them to give you their back.

Anyone who has done BJJ for more than a month would be able to beat both those guys.

As said above, though, if you can avoid it, do.

hm, yes...very interesting. grappling moves to take them down and tire them out by just contaning them. smart. I believe that those two bratz do look easy to take. Talking is very important, we must try and deescalate; truely what self-defense is. But this is only if your face to face, but even then I admit you might not even have time to talk, or its just not the smartest thing to do. make the second act of an attack. helps...really does. Pesonally a front kick is always nice to land on the target :smile:
Reply 793
I'd probably walk away, but if the person persists, I'd do a thai elbow to the face then a thai rear round kick, by that time if all is well i'd get them in a head lock, hoist up then slip there arm in to the lock get them on the ground whilst stilll holding there arm and do a straight forward break.
Reply 794
Millie B
I'd probably walk away, but if the person persists, I'd do a thai elbow to the face then a thai rear round kick, by that time if all is well i'd get them in a head lock, hoist up then slip there arm in to the lock get them on the ground whilst stilll holding there arm and do a straight forward break.

wha!?? their heads still in that hold too isn't it? you'd kill them for sure.
Millie B

Why on earth would you try and spinning-anything anybody in a real fight? Showing someone the back of your head, not a very good idea.
Reply 796
ForeverIsMyName
Why on earth would you try and spinning-anything anybody in a real fight? Showing someone the back of your head, not a very good idea.

depends on how well trained you are...the move is very effective. but still, if you are slower than your enemy at anytime he/she can and may take advantage. If a set of moves are against or you just dont have them developed, its never wise to use them.
Reply 797
MMA is on the rise and it seems like more and more people are not only watching it, but copying what they see. Its very similar to wwe as little kids performing wrestling moves, but now its legaly adults. In what why could this over the top, underdeveloped, little minded fighter be stopped?
da_nolo
MMA is on the rise and it seems like more and more people are not only watching it, but copying what they see. Its very similar to wwe as little kids performing wrestling moves, but now its legaly adults. In what why could this over the top, underdeveloped, little minded fighter be stopped?

Oh dear god...

MMA has some of the most talented athletes and fighters in the world, ranging from BJJ black belts, Olympic gold-medal winning amateur wrestlers, professional boxers, champion kickboxers and a host of other disciplines. It's nothing like WWE in the sense that it's unscripted, and a real fight. It takes huge amounts of training, involves professional athletes. Simply put, they're the best fighters in the world without question.

On what grounds should it be stopped? It's a legitimate sport, and it's not going anywhere.
Reply 799
ForeverIsMyName
Oh dear god...

MMA has some of the most talented athletes and fighters in the world, ranging from BJJ black belts, Olympic gold-medal winning amateur wrestlers, professional boxers, champion kickboxers and a host of other disciplines. It's nothing like WWE in the sense that it's unscripted, and a real fight. It takes huge amounts of training, involves professional athletes. Simply put, they're the best fighters in the world without question.

On what grounds should it be stopped? It's a legitimate sport, and it's not going anywhere.

hold on there pal...Im talking about all those inexperienced jerks that copy what they see on tv, and the louzy arrogant jerks who took a few classes here and there and still try to come at you with what they have learned. I like MMA and suport the sport. But not everyone is on tv, and not everyone involved with mma is a nice guy. same with martial arts, but I focused on mma here because it has had problems of people thinking their top dogs because of knowing this or that and getting into fights (similar to wwe). plus mma covers more systems, so over all its; heres a guy coming after you punching similar to a kick boxer with a few kicks and coming at you like a wrestler...what should you do??? Many times now people will get you in a hold or mount you in a way that will be just like mma matches, why? because they saw it work...they like what they saw. So really...agians mma fighter, whats options in fighting?

Quick Reply

Latest