The Student Room Group

Student Finance: Previous Study Questions!

Hi everyone.

I was just looking through the new full-time EU students application form and I have some questions about the Previous Study section.
My backstory goes as follows: I was enrolled for 3 years for a BA in Midwifery in my home country but decided to quit for personal reasons. Basically couldn't cope with stress/anxiety so the degree really wasn't for me. It just took me way too long to figure that out. Anyway, I don't have any qualifications since I doubled most of my 2nd year. I did 2 years Full-time and 1 year (in which I retook some 2nd year modules and a small selection of 3rd year modules) Part-time.
So my first question here: If my new course is 3 years, am I still entitled to a 1 year student loan or does the 1 year part-time make a difference?
Also, what constitutes as compelling personal reasons? Because I had a rough couple of years struggling with depression and anxiety (as stated above) and having to move in with my grandmother to help out. Would this qualify? And if so, how do I provide evidence of this?
Lastly, if I'm only entitled to 1 year, what year would this become available to me or could I choose this myself?

I'm really at a loss here sorting this out so any help would be more than welcome!
Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Without a successful CPR claim you'll have 3 years previous study, which means nothing for years 1 and 2, and support for year 3.

I'm not entirely sure of the process for CPR for EU students, however, in the UK students need to forward evidence from a professional (doctor, social worker, councellor etc) as proof of CPR.
Reply 2
Original post by Shani
Without a successful CPR claim you'll have 3 years previous study, which means nothing for years 1 and 2, and support for year 3.

I'm not entirely sure of the process for CPR for EU students, however, in the UK students need to forward evidence from a professional (doctor, social worker, councellor etc) as proof of CPR.

So whether a course is done parttime or fulltime makes no difference then? Just so I'm sure. And as for the CPR evidence, will I have to send it with my application or can I send it after? I'm just not sure I understand what exactly I should send. Say I ask a counselor, do I just ask them to write a letter explaining my situation or..? It's all a bit confusing tbh and I can't seem to find a lot of info online. But so, if I have a successful CPR claim I will get support for year 2 and 3 right?
Anyway, thanks for your help already! Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 3
Re-taking modules, as you did, and taking some current year modules, for UK students would count as a year. I'm honestly not 100% with the EU system, so I'm just applying to you what would apply to a UK student. A letter explaining your situation would be fine (as long as they knew you and your situation at the time etc). It would probably be best to send it in with your application to avoid any delay, but keep a spare copy too.

Like you say, there isn't a lot of info on this type of situation so perhaps you should give the EU SF team a call and see what they would advise you to do - I have heard they are more helpful than the UK SF team!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending