The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Drapers!!! + Accomodation HELP!

Hey guys!

So after I firmed my place in QMUL I was trying to gather some info about the Draper's, the only bar/club in the campus where most events and my beloved ''Freshers Week'' take place. :biggrin:

Besides the Freshers how often does the SU arrange an event in drapers?
Current students, How would you rank drapers out of 10? :P

For accomodation would you go for (by means of quality and social life)... Pooley or France? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by 2rule
Hey guys!

So after I firmed my place in QMUL I was trying to gather some info about the Draper's, the only bar/club in the campus where most events and my beloved ''Freshers Week'' take place. :biggrin:

For accomodation would you go for (by means of quality and social life)... Pooley or France? :smile:

Drapers is open 6 days a week iirc (or is it now 5?).

At any rate Wednesday nights is usually when the sports teams have their sessions and Friday nights are usual end of week stuff.

How would I rate Drapers out of 10? Probably a respectable 6. This is for several reasons. Firstly, it's still fairly new and shiny (opened in 2008) so that's nice and the prices aren't too bad. And of course just outside is Dixies and the Golden Fryer though depending on how you view dubious quality fried chicken, this might not be an advantage. Also, the start of term/end of term nights are usually very good and sell out quickly. However the bad points are that during the middle of term it can get a bit quiet and empty and event nights finish at 2 AM which I think is a bit early.

So in short, Drapers is good, but don't only go there, branch out a bit and see where else you like.

With regards to the Halls quiestion, the social life will be the same, and if it were me I'd pick Pooley because I can't see the point of paying extra for a bathtub and a double bed :p:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Drapers is open 6 days a week iirc (or is it now 5?).

At any rate Wednesday nights is usually when the sports teams have their sessions and Friday nights are usual end of week stuff.

How would I rate Drapers out of 10? Probably a respectable 6. This is for several reasons. Firstly, it's still fairly new and shiny (opened in 2008) so that's nice and the prices aren't too bad. And of course just outside is Dixies and the Golden Fryer though depending on how you view dubious quality fried chicken, this might not be an advantage. Also, the start of term/end of term nights are usually very good and sell out quickly. However the bad points are that during the middle of term it can get a bit quiet and empty and event nights finish at 2 AM which I think is a bit early.

So in short, Drapers is good, but don't only go there, branch out a bit and see where else you like.

With regards to the Halls quiestion, the social life will be the same, and if it were me I'd pick Pooley because I can't see the point of paying extra for a bathtub and a double bed :p:

Yeah as I expected:tongue: Pooley seems the most suitable for me hence first choice is Pooley en-suite standart. Thanks for the quick reply mate :smile: cheers
Reply 3
Original post by 2rule
Hey guys!

Drapers is pretty good. The fact it's cheap and on campus makes it better to be honest. In London everything is always far away so the fact you don't have to plan night buses (In heels!) or fork out for a taxi is always a plus. They have club type events 3 days a week most weeks (Mon, Wed, Fri) and a pub quiz style night every Tuesday. In freshers it opens pretty much every night I think though can get a bit same-y by the tues/weds mark. As the year goes on it clears out a lot as people start to explore London, though the last Wednesday of every month is always big. The sports teams hold their sessions in drapers and then it opens up to everyone else later on, it’s always really busy and generally a fun night. I’d probably give drapers a 7 out of ten :smile:

As to accommodation, I agree that I wouldn’t pay the extra for france house. However, Bear in mind that Pooley is the biggest hall on campus and when one of the 40+ flats sets the alarm off the whole block goes off. That means everybody outside in their PJs. At 3am. In January. And Pooley’s fire alarms go off a lot. In my opinion Fielden is just as nice inside as pooley but has far less fire alarms. It’s also isn’t as far into the student village therefore a shorter walk to lectures :biggrin: And if you’re a chemist/biologist you’ll have labs in the JP building which is literally right across from fielden.
Reply 4
I'm looking at Beaumont Court, with Pooley being my second choice. Anyone know what they're like? I only prefer Beaumont cos of the more amount of shelving that they seem to have, but i'm not sure whether to change to pooley after reading this?
Original post by popelady
I'm looking at Beaumont Court, with Pooley being my second choice. Anyone know what they're like? I only prefer Beaumont cos of the more amount of shelving that they seem to have, but i'm not sure whether to change to pooley after reading this?

I loved living in Beaumont. There was still a fair amount of parties, but it was quieter when you needed it to be. Plus you still get to go to Pooley's parties either way! Storage is much more plentiful in Beaumont then Pooley.
Reply 6
Yeah storage is another concern of mine. Pooley lacks sufficient space but it is a big place and looks more fun! Anyway I have made my decision by choosing en-suite standard as 1st and premium as 2nd so it's either Pooley or France. :wink:
Original post by Mr. Mortell
I loved living in Beaumont. There was still a fair amount of parties, but it was quieter when you needed it to be. Plus you still get to go to Pooley's parties either way! Storage is much more plentiful in Beaumont then Pooley.

Can you tell me a bit about the area around Beaumont Court (UNITE), especially what it is like at nights? Dodgy?
I am considering applying to this accommodation.
Thanks
Original post by michy_witchy
Can you tell me a bit about the area around Beaumont Court (UNITE), especially what it is like at nights? Dodgy?
I am considering applying to this accommodation.
Thanks

Sorry. I don't know. The Beaumont Court I'm talking about is the college one, and not the Unite one.
Original post by Mr. Mortell
Sorry. I don't know. The Beaumont Court I'm talking about is the college one, and not the Unite one.

No worries, cheers
pooley house is the biggest halls. i think it has like 600 rooms
plus there's more places to hang outside pooley house as in front there are like 5 benches and quite a bit of greenery. France house hardly has a place to chill as it is near residences reception, laundrette etc. Obviously you can go to pooley house chill area or the canal, but pooley has better outside social hangouts. It's pooley house, then maurice court which has a like a little hangout place in the middle of the court with greenery a few benches and so on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending