The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
You have not proven either anywhere with any citations, just because you think something is true does not make it true. Claims must be proved and backed up.

You keep missing the point, the point is not which is paraphilias, the point is both claim it is a result of genes. Furthermore homosexuality can also be a paraphilia by the definitions being mentioned. How do you know homosexuality is not a paraphilia, and how do you know paedophilia is a paraphilia?
Reply 201
Even the title of this thread annoys me. Can't people see it's equally as ridiculous as a thread called "My Personal View On Heterosexuality".

IT. DOESN'T. MATTER.
Reply 202
I know that homosexuality is a controversial subject, but I will try my best to talk about it as logically as I can.

Is homosexuality wrong?
I would say no. I don't exactly agree with it 100% (if you look at it an apply something like Kant's Deontological principles you could say that not everyone could do it, so it is wrong), but I believe that people should be able to choose how they live their lives.

I have proof that homesexuality is fine. In the animal kingdom...
Stop right there. The problem is that far too many people try to justify homosexuality, as if it were something wrong. The best argument supporting homosexuality? Why not. It is as simple as that. It isn't hurting anyone (except maybe bigotted people), so I could hardly say it is wrong. When people say things like "Homosexuality occurs in the animal kingdom" I can't help but think of all those things that happen in the animal kingdom that we would see as uncivil. I could hardly throw excrement at a person, then justifity it by saying "it's in my nature. Primates do it". Part of what makes us human is our ability to reason, and not partake in actions that are uncivil and potentially harmful. I would say homosexuality is neither.

Homesexuality is unatural, so it shouldn't happen
So are vaccinations and genetically modified food. We have to, as humans, do whatever is possible to improve our quality of life. I don't expect people to encourage homosexuality, but they have to do more than tolerate it. They simply have to accept that it is a part of the modern world we live in.
(edited 12 years ago)
TL;DR, but from what I can gather, you're basically comparing gays to paedophiles and people who engage in incest.

WRT paeophilia, I don't really have a problem with individuals being aroused by minors - it's acting on these impulses which is wrong. The point of the age of consent (which has its own issues, granted) is that it prevents having sex with underage individuals who don't fully understand the situation and aren't able to consciously consent to having sex. Sure, it's creepy standing at a school gate watching kids play, but if you're not acting on your urges..

Incest is a different situation again. I don't really have a problem with relatives having sexual relationships with each other; the problem arises when they want to reproduce and inbreeding leading to higher risks of death and disabilities.

Homosexuality on the other hand, is harmless. It's two adults consenting to have sex with each other and nobody else if affected in any way.
Reply 204
Pedophilia can be described as a disorder of sexual preference, phenomenologically similar to a heterosexual or homosexual sexual orientation because it emerges prior or during puberty, and because it is stable over time.

according to Wikipedia they are comparable, so try again.
Original post by konvictz0007
You have not proven either anywhere with any citations, just because you think something is true does not make it true. Claims must be proved and backed up.

You keep missing the point, the point is not which is paraphilias, the point is both claim it is a result of genes. Furthermore homosexuality can also be a paraphilia by the definitions being mentioned. How do you know homosexuality is not a paraphilia, and how do you know paedophilia is a paraphilia?

1. He doesn't need to prove it as it is basic psychology. You learn this in Psych 101. If you want proof just google paraphilia. Or you like wikipedia. It says so on there as well.

2. It doesn't matter if it is the result of genetics or anything else. The only reason that is brought up is because people who are against homosexuality like to claim that people choose to be that way and that it is unnatural. So studies have shown that it is not a choice, nor is it unnatural. The only thing that actually matters is whether or not it causes harm.
Original post by DJEvelyn

Is homosexuality wrong?
I would say no. I don't exactly agree with it 100% (if you look at it an apply something like Kant's Deontological principles you could say that not everyone could do it, so it is wrong), but I believe that people should be able to choose how they live their lives.

You can't get Kant involved in this... :/
Who you choose to have sexual relations with is not a moral choice (assuming of course, the other person is a consenting adult).
It's just as ridiculous as saying that eating a particular breakfast cereal, such as frosties, is immoral, because if everyone did it, then all of the other cereal companies would go bankrupt.
You could even take it to the extreme, and say that it's immoral whichever individual you choose to have sex with, regardless of gender, because if everyone had sex with that one individual he/she would probably die of exhaustion, and would not be able to produce enough offspring to keep the human race going.
Kant doesn't belong in this discussion.

Original post by DJEvelyn

I have proof that homesexuality is fine. In the animal kingdom...
Stop right there. The problem is that far too many people try to justify homosexuality, as if it were something wrong. The best argument supporting homosexuality? Why not. It is as simple as that. It isn't hurting anyone (except maybe bigotted people), so I could hardly say it is wrong. When people say things like "Homosexuality occurs in the animal kingdom" I can't help but think of all those things that happen in the animal kingdom that we would see as uncivil. I could hardly throw excrement at a person, then justifity it by saying "it's in my nature. Primates do it". Part of what makes us human is our ability to reason, and not partake in actions that are uncivil and potentially harmful. I would say homosexuality is neither.

I don't like that argument either. But it's not an unprompted argument, it's said in response to people that say that homosexuality is unnatural, and it's attempting to prove that that's not the case. But I think a better response to that argument would be to say that neither is the computer/phone/ipod/whatever that you're viewing this on, and you don't seem to be complaining about that.
Also, like you pointed out, just because something is 'natural', like throwing poo at each each other, doesn't make it good either.
Reply 207
Original post by XxelliexX
You can't get Kant involved in this... :/
Who you choose to have sexual relations with is not a moral choice (assuming of course, the other person is a consenting adult).
It's just as ridiculous as saying that eating a particular breakfast cereal, such as frosties, is immoral, because if everyone did it, then all of the other cereal companies would go bankrupt.
You could even take it to the extreme, and say that it's immoral whichever individual you choose to have sex with, regardless of gender, because if everyone had sex with that one individual he/she would probably die of exhaustion, and would not be able to produce enough offspring to keep the human race going.
Kant doesn't belong in this discussion.

I understand what you're saying, but I was answering the question "Is homosexuality wrong". I'm looking at it morally, and I was simply saying that you could use Kant as an argument against homosexuality, but even that would be dismissable. There are arguments that could be used to propose homosexuality as wrong, but they are overall quite weak (such as the Kant example I used to show one of the few legitimate criticisms, and you swiftly got rid of it further proving my point).

Original post by XxelliexX

I don't like that argument either. But it's not an unprompted argument, it's said in response to people that say that homosexuality is unnatural, and it's attempting to prove that that's not the case. But I think a better response to that argument would be to say that neither is the computer/phone/ipod/whatever that you're viewing this on, and you don't seem to be complaining about that.
Also, like you pointed out, just because something is 'natural', like throwing poo at each each other, doesn't make it good either.

I could have used an example such as a computer, but I find that a weaker example. I wanted to emphasize the fact that the unnatural can save lives by means of curing viruses and diseases, and providing more healthy and sustainable food. That's not to say that homosexuality is comparable to vaccinations, but I find it far more commensurable than technology.
Original post by adamski92
http://www.pnas.org/content/89/15/7199.long

"Morphological differences have been identified in homosexual men in nuclei
of the brain that are in regions that influence reproductive
physiology and behavior: the volume of the suprachiasmatic
nucleus may be larger than in heterosexual men and women
(17); and the interstitial nucleus of the anterior hypothalamus
3, which we found to be larger in men than in women (11), is
smaller in homosexual men than heterosexual men (1)"

Interesting. But those findings say absolutely nothing about the idea that homosexuality is something you were born with.
Original post by Valh
May I ask why you think that since there isn't any proof to back that up?

Of course there's evidence to back it up. There's the evidence that myself, and pretty much every other person I've encountered does not choose who they are attracted to.
Original post by Valh
May I ask why you think that since there isn't any proof to back that up?

What do you mean there isn't any proof? There is tons of proof.
Original post by Valh
I don't really see how that how that could be considered evidence. Furthermore, it's not true. I think it's a choice and so do some gay people.

Maybe I should point out I don't have a problem with homosexuality but I don't necessarily agree is isn't a choice

All the evidence shows that even if homosexuality is due to biological or environmental/social factors it is still not a choice. Does that mean someone can't choose to have sex with someone of the same sex? No. But that doesn't necessarily make one homosexual.
Can't be bothered reading through all 13 pages but I agree with what the OP said exept I think that Homosexuality should be allowed. I think homosexuality is one of natures natural population controls. Homosexuality isn't a threat to humanity we are over crowded as it is so less children being born is a good thing.

Essentially Homosexuality, Paedophila, Beastiality etc... are the same thing sexual preference disorders or a form of mental illneses if you like that cannot be changed at least not with our current technology the difference between Homosexuality and the other two is that Homosexuality isn't harming others and if we can't change who they are then there is no point denying them the right to have a homosexual relationship it's just going to make them unhappy. Paedophila I think isn't necesarily all there own fault but if they act on it they are effectivley raping someone I am attracted to girls that have knocked me back but it doesn''t mean that I will just rape them anyway because i'm stronger than them. Seeing as Paedophila hasn't got a cure I think there should be forced chemical castration for offenders which will cut off all sexual urges completley if they re offend then Physical Castration should happen that will remove any chance of re offending.

I bet there are Paedophiles out there who haven't acted on their urges but are scared to come out and ask for help to control their urges I think they should be encouraged to come out and shouldn't be demonized because they have a mental illness (as long as they haven't acted on those urges) and recieve phyciatric help and chemical castration if they think they can't control their urges.
This is my view and I have a right to it: I think you shouldn't have a right to exist.

Yes, exactly. Your view means nothing.

1) Homosexuality doesn't hurt anyone, paedophilia does

2) The world is already overcrowded as it is, so this whole 'they can't reproduce and it's bad for the species' argument is rollocks.
Reply 215
Original post by Shabalala
Can't be bothered reading through all 13 pages but I agree with what the OP said exept I think that Homosexuality should be allowed. I think homosexuality is one of natures natural population controls. Homosexuality isn't a threat to humanity we are over crowded as it is so less children being born is a good thing.

Essentially Homosexuality, Paedophila, Beastiality etc... are the same thing sexual preference disorders or a form of mental illneses if you like that cannot be changed at least not with our current technology the difference between Homosexuality and the other two is that Homosexuality isn't harming others and if we can't change who they are then there is no point denying them the right to have a homosexual relationship it's just going to make them unhappy. Paedophila I think isn't necesarily all there own fault but if they act on it they are effectivley raping someone I am attracted to girls that have knocked me back but it doesn''t mean that I will just rape them anyway because i'm stronger than them. Seeing as Paedophila hasn't got a cure I think there should be forced chemical castration for offenders which will cut off all sexual urges completley if they re offend then Physical Castration should happen that will remove any chance of re offending.

I bet there are Paedophiles out there who haven't acted on their urges but are scared to come out and ask for help to control their urges I think they should be encouraged to come out and shouldn't be demonized because they have a mental illness (as long as they haven't acted on those urges) and recieve phyciatric help and chemical castration if they think they can't control their urges.

Homosexuality =/= paedophilia or bestiality.
Homosexuality = sexual orientation
Paedophilia and bestiality = paraphilia.

Forced castration? Introduce something like that and where will it stop. It might start with child molesters, but if it was to ever be introduced, I imagine that it's potential victims would eventually extend beyond the original remit.

Homosexuality does not need to be changed, there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, while the theory on homosexuality being a reaction to overpopulation is interesting, the effect homosexuality has on the population count is minute, so I don't know why people get so worried about that aspect.
Reply 216
Firstly these are my views. I have the right and I am entitled to have my views regarding this subject especially as it is always under constant mass scrutiny. Just because you do not agree with me does not mean my rights should be compromised. It is my intention to promote positive discussion of the topic and my points.

Ok, I agree you're entitled to your views, but don't fall into the trap of claiming I'm trying to censor your views by disagreeing. I've as much right to disagree with your views as you have to hold them in the first place.

Some argue homosexuality is not a choice, one does not choose their sexual orientation. I disagree with that statement because this can also apply to other situations. A lot of people including some scientific researchers also say paedophilia is not chosen by an individual. My issue with this is if society is to accept homosexuals on the basis that they have no choice, then why punish and criminalise paedophiles as they also have no choice?

Homosexuality isn't accepted purely because there is no choice, it is accepted because it is neither a choice nor is harmful. Peadophilia however, can have very damaging results and involves a sexual interest in people who are not able to consent in the eyes of our law. You simply cannot argue that homosexuality has similar damaging affects that aren't the results of how society views homosexuality. It all has very little to do with choice, regardless of choice- pedophilia is damaging, and homosexuality is not. Society should accept homosexuals because there is absolutely no justification for not doing so, the fact it is no choice only cements this.

Furthermore if we are to accept the argument 'gays are born gay' we must investigate that claim and examine what it means for humanity. Under the assumption that the argument that they are born gay holds, then it is something which is affecting their ability to reproduce (as they are not attracted to the opposite sex). Then, it is in my belief that by definition of continuity of the human race we must find a way to prevent it as it is, technically speaking, a negative genetic mutation and must be addressed by doctors and medical researchers to preserve continuity.

These are some subjects which I feel strongly about. I am willing to debate issues regarding psychology, health and hygiene, communication, social impacts etc.

In an overpopulated world of more than 7 billion people, of whom an overwhelming majority are heterosexual- with an unsuitable rate of growth in population, this concern is laughable to be honest. It's not like we're struggling to continue the human race, in fact, we're being a little too successful at reproducing and it's going to start having negative impacts for the whole of humanity. In all honesty, as silly as it sounds, heterosexuality is a bigger threat to humanity right now. We shouldn't be addressing "negative genetic mutations" when they actually have no negative impacts on humanity whatsoever.

A lot of people are saying that paedophilia and homosexuality cannot be compared and the comparison is not relevant. You cannot just say it is not relevant without any sort of justification. I am saying it is relevant and will pursue to argue the case. Wikipedia also agrees with the relevancy with a cited source, to quote directly from Wikipedia:
Further to this my point is society in general is vastly negative towards paedophiles. If a paedophile is known to the authorities they are punished, criminalised and jailed. How is this fair if we are saying both circumstances are through no choice of their own? Nature has come up quiet frequently. Some users are saying homosexuality is natural and paedophilia is not - where is the evidence I ask to accept one and reject the other of being natural?

As I said above, you can compare them as much as you like but it comes down to the fact that those at the interest of peadophiles are children. Children are not sexually mature nor should they be, and being subjected to abuse from peadophiles is very, very damaging to children. The subject of homosexual interests are grown men and women, and unless rape occurs (as it does in both hetero and homosexuality and is a whole different issue to the one we are discussing) it is consensual and has no damaging outcomes. Both may be natural, but one is harmful, the other is not...therefore one is perfectly acceptable, and the other isn't. Peadophilia is not an arrestable offence, we cannot read minds. Acting on peadophillic interests is arrestable because it is damaging to parties involved. Very simple.

People are discussing incest as being not natural. A common consensus for the acceptance of the homosexual community is the argument where two practising consensual adults are free to do what they desire as long it is not harming anyone else. One (or two) can maintain an incestuous sexual relationship in this manner as it can be said they are not harming anyone. Many users have rejected the idea of incest on the basis that children produced from an incestuous couple will be disadvantaged from a weaker gene pool, but why are users making the assumption that all incestuous relationships will directly lead to a child I ask? Homosexuality and incest can be practised without procreation so I ask again, why is the idea of incest constantly rejected by society?

I agree that there is little justification, aside from the reproduction issue, for societies rejection of incest. This is hardly an argument against homosexuality though, is it? You're basically admitting there is no justification for being against incest, but agreeing that since its unjustifiably frowned upon, then it's ok to unjustifiably frown upon homosexuality too...

Many people have tackled my negative gene issue about human continuity by stating homosexuals will promote a negative population growth and will help issues of over crowding. I cannot express in words how offended I am by that statement. So because we want to control the population does that mean we should abandon research and development in preventing cancer and other forms of life threatening illnesses? By that logic we can say we should have more illegal wars as it will bring down the mortality levels and help control population?

Killing people/leaving people to die of illnesses who are already alive is simply not comparable to preventing births in the first place.
Reply 217
No one cares about your personal views on homosexuality. It exists, now can we please just get over it?
Original post by Valh
How so? If a guy has sex with a woman then he is either straight or bisexual since he must be attracted to her. What actual evidence is there. All I hear is anecdotes and they go both ways, like people who are gay by choice? Like this person:*http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=15430087

Another interesting point is, if being gay isn't wrong then why does it matter if it's a choice. Some people seem to use it as a justification for being gay.

That's blatantly false. There is a difference between sexual orientation and sexuality. By that definition if someone ever experimented they would be bisexual. Someone's sexual orientation has to do with both romantic and sexual desires. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx While agree with you that whether or not it is a choice is irrelevant, I think you misunderstanding what that argument is for. Many people against homosexuality say that it is bad because people choose to be that way and that they can change. So people like to say that they are 'born this way' as a preemptive to people who make such ridiculous claims. All the research says that it is not a choice.
Reply 219
Original post by Valh
How so? If a guy has sex with a woman then he is either straight or bisexual since he must be attracted to her. What actual evidence is there. All I hear is anecdotes and they go both ways, like people who are gay by choice? Like this person:*http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=15430087

Another interesting point is, if being gay isn't wrong then why does it matter if it's a choice. Some people seem to use it as a justification for being gay.

I could eat sprouts right now, I could stick them in my mouth and eat them.
Do I have to like sprouts to go ahead and eat them? Is there anything physically stopping me from doing so?
No, there isn't. I just simply wouldn't enjoy it. But having eaten sprouts, it doesn't mean I'm now a sprout lover- I simply did something that went against my natural interests.
Point is, if a guy has sex with a woman, he is not necessarily straight or bisexual.
Sexual orientation works independently to physically having sex. Sexual orientation is the basic mental desire and is not a choice, where as, to physically have sex and wether or not it's in accordance with your natural sexual orientation is a choice.

Latest

Trending

Trending