The Student Room Group

To-go or not-to-go to McGill? (Law)

Currently doing an undergraduate 4 year degree in Law and just got a place to spend my third year (next year) abroad in McGill! I'd love to go - one problem is that I would be sad to lose one year at my current university (loved second year). Also, I would be very faraway from London, so maybe it would be harder to get Law internship interviews for London??

Should I go?? Anyone know anything about McGill or Montreal or even better Law @ McGill?

any help appreciated :smile: throw your thoughts out there please :smile:
Reply 1
unfortunatly i know very little about mcgill or monteal but what i have heard about mcgill is thats its very good :smile: plus year abroad in america itll definitely be worth it different way of life, see the sites, meet new people etc. id do it :biggrin:
Reply 2
Obviously I have a biased opinion (check sig), but studying abroad is a unique, once in a lifetime opportunity. To do it as somewhere as good as the "Canadian Harvard" just puts the icing on the cake.
But, if you absolutely love it where you are, do whatever you think will make you happiest :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Nicole_0009
Currently doing an undergraduate 4 year degree in Law and just got a place to spend my third year (next year) abroad in McGill! I'd love to go - one problem is that I would be sad to lose one year at my current university (loved second year). Also, I would be very faraway from London, so maybe it would be harder to get Law internship interviews for London??

Should I go?? Anyone know anything about McGill or Montreal or even better Law @ McGill?

I'd take the opportunity if I were you. Whilst you're right in that you won't be in as strong a position to get internships at home, getting an internship anyway isn't guaranteed - if you didn't go to McGill because you were worried that you didn't get an intership, you'd feel awful. Plus I'd say a year abroad would make you stand out when job searching more than an internship - living in a foreign country, especially in a region where French is the first language will look very impressive, especially if you have ambitions of practicing internationally.

McGill really is a fantastic University, I know you're in a difficult situation, but I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by FDR
I'd take the opportunity if I were you. Whilst you're right in that you won't be in as strong a position to get internships at home, getting an internship anyway isn't guaranteed - if you didn't go to McGill because you were worried that you didn't get an intership, you'd feel awful. Plus I'd say a year abroad would make you stand out when job searching more than an internship - living in a foreign country, especially in a region where French is the first language will look very impressive, especially if you have ambitions of practicing internationally.

McGill really is a fantastic University, I know you're in a difficult situation, but I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

This, OP
Original post by Nicole_0009

Original post by miss.sukhi
Congrats! McGill is one of the best universities in Canada for law. However, it's in Quebec, Canada's french speaking province. I'm not sure in regards to the law program, but I do know that a portion of their undergrad curriculum is usually taught in French (that's what stopped me from applying there!) The Quebecois in general are usually opposed to people who speak English, however it's not as bad in Montreal itself.

Do it! Don't listen to the person above, all classes at McGill are taught in english (except language classes of course) and almost everybody in Montreal is bilingual (French-English) so do not be worried about any potential language barrier.

I would strongly recommend going there. Montreal is a great city and McGill is an excellent school. The law school is renowned in Canada, although I don't really understand how your exchange will work because, in Canada, law is a graduate program so there are no specific "law classes" at the undergraduate level (although there is an exception at McGill for local Quebec students, but that's a different story). Students usually take a range of classes like poli sci, philosophy, english, psychology etc.. at the undergrad level and then go to law school once they have their bachelors..

Anyway, as others have already pointed out, it will look great on your CV and enable you to experience a different culture.
Reply 6
I'm from Canada (Toronto) and have friends that have gone to McGill. My sister is also in law (though at UofT).

McGill is a very well respected school, and has a very strong law program. I can't comment on interships in London, but I agree studying abroad may may you stand out more, and McGill carries its own standard, from what I understand. Keeping in mind, I'm not a law student so I may not know the ins and outs.

Montreal is also an AMAZING city. You name it, Montreal has it. Great theatres, amazing food, great shopping, winter activities, great location for travelling... Weather might be a bit of a problem in winter (more snow and colder than you're used to) but I'm sure you could adjust. Montreal is one of the cultural centers of Canada so I'm sure it would really add to your uni experience. And most of the city is bilingual, so you should be able to get by with english (though it is true, some people may look down on you for not speaking french and speaking french is often appreciated).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending