The Student Room Group

Considering Transferring University After Foundation year - Am I Crazy?

Having not long received my foundation year results which were extremely good I am considering transferring university. Would this be a stupid thing to do?

My background:
Average/Poor grades in GCSE/A-level, decided to do a foundation year at Loughborough (Can read more here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30695514&highlight=) I worked really hard and seem to completely changed my educational approach. This has really paid off and throughout the year I was doing very well in class, report writing and lab work. At A-level I got an E in my labs, at my foundation year I got 95% in 7 out of 9 of the labs.

I just got my results back for semester 1 and my results are very very high, far above whats required for progression. I got 98% in maths and 93% in physics when I was only required to get 70% in maths and 60% in physics for example.

I went to speak to my tutor about my results and if people ever transfer after the foundation year. She was really helpful and informed me that its not uncommon and my grades are highest on the course with an average of 90% across 5 modules. If I decide to move I will have to pay increased fees of £9000 however.

This gives me the dilemma, should I move to a better university to study physics? Leaving after the foundation year would give the best opportunity to move. I have learnt many things on the foundation year that I never got the chance at A-level such as chemistry, further mathematics and engineering.

I emailed some top universities about applying using the foundation year for entry to physics. Bristol/Manchester/Warwick/Durham all said yes they would consider an application. As far as im aware the only university which wouldnt consider the foundation year is Imperial.

These universities would require backing from my current university. My tutor said she would completely back me in transferring and would happily provide a reference. Having discussed my reference i was informed that I could have an extremely good reference with my grades, attendance and other stuff I do.

Would my poor GCSES/A-levels disadvantage me? There are people on my course with A's at GCSE/A-level and my results are higher on the foundation. Could I put in a competitive application with my foundation year results and an amazing reference?

tl;dr - Did well on a foundation year, should I transfer?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
i think if you can get into a higher tier uni then you definatly should whether you could or not i couldnt comment on, but most of those unis also offer foundation courses so i asume that if you've completed one already and to a good standard there shouldnt be a problem in getting in.
Original post by whiteing
i think if you can get into a higher tier uni then you definatly should whether you could or not i couldnt comment on, but most of those unis also offer foundation courses so i asume that if you've completed one already and to a good standard there shouldnt be a problem in getting in.

Yeah thats what Warwick said.
Anyone?
Reply 4
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Anyone?

Maybe read the identical thread you posted in February if you need advice
Reply 5
Anyone?

When you say everyone except Imperial accepts it, do you mean LSE,Oxbridge etc also accept it or everyone in that group refuses such qualifications?
Original post by Azland
When you say everyone except Imperial accepts it, do you mean LSE,Oxbridge etc also accept it or everyone in that group refuses such qualifications?

LSE dont do physics.

Both do if you have support from your current uni I think.
Reply 7
LSE dont do physics.

Both do if you have support from your current uni I think.

Which it seems that you have. Kick off one of your choices and try for it then. Worst case scenario, you lose one choice and have 4 very good universities to rely on. I dont think I need to explain the best case :P They may ask you to write a written test of some sort but if your confident then that wont be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending