The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Game Art Design at De Montfort 2012

Scroll to see replies

Well they told me on the day that they were really confident I'll get in, then a few days later they sent me an email confirming but asking for some evidence of qualifications, and finally they gave me an unconditional on UCAS 4 or 5 days after.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Thanks a lot for the help!
We thread people are the best people. :wink: Well done on your offers everyone, see you in September!
Hows the Facebook page idea coming along? :P

Also, for those of you who are firmed, what kinda laptops are you guys gonna take? I asked my interviewee and she recommended PC over mac simply due to compatibility issues, so I'm thinking a higher end Windows Laptop.
Reply 384
good question :P what are your thoughts on taking a laptop over a desktop, I'm in two minds atm. do people use laptops in the labs and stuff? i should really have asked about this at the interview day :L
I need a laptop anyway so Im going for a Laptop; just think it would be easier for the whole university experience. Don't game a lot on pc either so I don't think I need a super powerful desktop :smile:
I just bought my daughter a laptop for uni. It's a higher spec than she'd ordinarily need as although she won't be playing games on it, it seemed to make sense to have one that would handle the graphics software such that she can hopefully use it here at home. It should last her three years so that I won't have to cough up again during that time (that's the hope, anyway).

It's the Dell Inspiron 17R SE, with an i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 650M. With the currently available 11% discount this works out at around £720, base price.

Of course, you'd get away with much less if you weren't bothered about running some higher spec graphics intensive programs on it.
I was just going to take my normal laptop but maybe I should get something new... Thing is I was thinking of getting the Xbox 720 which means I wouldn't be able to afford one... Aaaaah!

Facebook page is being created as I type. :P
Facebook group for 2013 Game Art students, feel free to join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/562860210399538/
Hi guys, second year student at this course here. (:

The course has dedicated labs with computers for you to use, though you might want to look into getting a desktop or high end laptop so that you can do work at home as well.

No rush though. When I started this course I only bought a laptop abouts halfway trough the first term and came out fine, so if you bide your time and see what you need then no worries.

If you've questions, don't be afraid to ask! I know a few of us current students are lurking this thread and will be happy to answer questions and put nerves to ease, we are a pretty friendly bunch really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Applethief
Hi guys, second year student at this course here. (:

The course has dedicated labs with computers for you to use, though you might want to look into getting a desktop or high end laptop so that you can do work at home as well.

No rush though. When I started this course I only bought a laptop abouts halfway trough the first term and came out fine, so if you bide your time and see what you need then no worries.

If you've questions, don't be afraid to ask! I know a few of us current students are lurking this thread and will be happy to answer questions and put nerves to ease, we are a pretty friendly bunch really.

Thanks Apple. :smile:

What kind of games do most people on the course play? I got the impression there are a lot of PC gamers out there...
We don't have time to play games *cough*

Honestly, you'll get people playing everything from Final Fantasy to Counterstrike to The Sims. It's very diverse. As is the choice of console.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Applethief
We don't have time to play games *cough*

Honestly, you'll get people playing everything from Final Fantasy to Counterstrike to The Sims. It's very diverse. As is the choice of console.

Haha I'm not a huge huge gamer anyway so I won't stress about that too much. :P

Ah I see. That's good. I didn't want to be a minority Xboxer!
Original post by tangledweb
I just bought my daughter a laptop for uni. It's a higher spec than she'd ordinarily need as although she won't be playing games on it, it seemed to make sense to have one that would handle the graphics software such that she can hopefully use it here at home. It should last her three years so that I won't have to cough up again during that time (that's the hope, anyway).

It's the Dell Inspiron 17R SE, with an i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 650M. With the currently available 11% discount this works out at around £720, base price.

Of course, you'd get away with much less if you weren't bothered about running some higher spec graphics intensive programs on it.

Woah, talk about top of the range. She's being spoilt!
It's a combination of an early birthday present, coupled with the fact that her laptop is dead and I'm fed up of her using mine :wink:. Given a choice it would have waited until closer to the start of uni term.
Reply 395
I'l be taking my desktop because I've always built my own PC's. I would recommend anything with Windows 7 64 bit (Windows 8 is a waste of money and I saw the the labs at DMU were still on 7), an i5 or higher, as much RAM as you can afford provided you're on a 64 bit OS, a fairly decent graphics chip (Nvidia GTX 670 is good value and powerful a decent Hard Drive (make sure you have some sort of back-up system in place whether it's online syncing or an external drive) and then spend the rest of your money on a decent monitor if it's a desktop and a graphics tablet. Waccom Intuos or Bamboo.
(edited 11 years ago)
My laptop is only i3... it is pretty fast though, and my even older laptop, bout 4 years old, can still run photoshop, so I think I should be fine.
Reply 397
Yeah i3 is fine. Photoshop just eats RAM really, Maya and Zbrush are a bit more CPU and Graphics intensive but it'll work. Will probably be new stuff out next year anyway so I would say wait till then.
My logic right now is if it works, it'll do. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, Jade here~
Um, I was going to apply for Game Art Design when I started my application, after reading somewhere one of the tutors dislikes manga art and that there's a lot of 3D modelling involved, decided to apply for Graphic Design and Illustration instead..
But I've visited this thread a few times whilst trying to decide which course and noticed how lovely everyone seems, also I would love to work in the games industry as a concept artist or illustrator and I'm really nervous about starting uni in a city where where no-one I know is going (I live in Nottingham and I'm starting a year later than I should've).. so I hope you all don't mind me posting and saying hi~ >.<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending