The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Is Warwick boring?

hi,

i've got offers from Warwick and Bristol for MORSE/Economics and finance.

The course at Warwick seems better and i've been told warwick is more prestigious.

I know people will say you'll have a good time wherever you go but i've got the idea in my head Bristol will be a lot more fun. More going out/more outgoing people.

Also i'm put off by Warwick having a large international student percentage (that sounds bad). I've been told that there is a clear divide between home/international students at Warwick and this might mean a less enjoyable atmosphere?

Bristol seems like a big city with a lot going on

has anyone got any insight on this?

thanks a lot
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
When I went there it definitely seemed kinda boring, but I'm saying that coming from London though- so I'm only really used to busy cities.
Reply 3
Well clearly the campus uni of Warwick is likely to have a different feel to Bristol, which is a city university, but I'd imagine that it's as boring (or hopefully not so) as you make it.

Have you visited both unis? That will probably give you the clearest indication.
Reply 4
Original post by rdsnell
Well clearly the campus uni of Warwick is likely to have a different feel to Bristol, which is a city university, but I'd imagine that it's as boring (or hopefully not so) as you make it.

Have you visited both unis? That will probably give you the clearest indication.

thanks for the reply.

yeah i've visited both. I live in coventry so have been to warwick a few times and that probably puts me off that i live so close-so going out in coventry wouldn't be anything new

bristol seemed nice enough but i suppose the departement buildings weren't as new/impressive as warwick
Reply 5
It's Uni, of course people will want to go out and have fun. Also with being a campus, I think there's more like a community feel with loads of people in one place making a bit of a buzz that Bristol won't have. But of course Bristol is a nice city so there'll be a bigger variety of clubs. But as I said, I reckon it's what you make of it. I'm outgoing and love a good night out so I hope there'll be people like that there too! I turned down Bristol for Warwick. I reckon you have to go for the best course and I'm sure you'll find people to have a good time with anywhere :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Bea492
It's Uni, of course people will want to go out and have fun. Also with being a campus, I think there's more like a community feel with loads of people in one place making a bit of a buzz that Bristol won't have. But of course Bristol is a nice city so there'll be a bigger variety of clubs. But as I said, I reckon it's what you make of it. I'm outgoing and love a good night out so I hope there'll be people like that there too! I turned down Bristol for Warwick. I reckon you have to go for the best course and I'm sure you'll find people to have a good time with anywhere :smile:

thanks!
Original post by johnkean
hi,

The course at Warwick seems better and i've been told warwick is more prestigious.

I know people will say you'll have a good time wherever you go but i've got the idea in my head Bristol will be a lot more fun. More going out/more outgoing people.

Also i'm put off by Warwick having a large international student percentage (that sounds bad). I've been told that there is a clear divide between home/international students at Warwick and this might mean a less enjoyable atmosphere?

thanks a lot

I go to Warwick, and I've visited friends in Bristol. So I've got a fairly good idea of the difference.

Basically, are you a campus or a city person? I find that people prefer either a community feeling (campus) or a vibrant place to live (city). Going out in Warwick, for example, means that I'll always bump into somebody that I know wherever I go, whereas my friend in Bristol hardly ever does. However Bristol also has a much greater number of clubs, pubs and bars to go to, compared to the handful in Warwick.

Only you know which one you'll prefer.
Reply 8
Original post by Callum828
I go to Warwick, and I've visited friends in Bristol. So I've got a fairly good idea of the difference.

Basically, are you a campus or a city person? I find that people prefer either a community feeling (campus) or a vibrant place to live (city). Going out in Warwick, for example, means that I'll always bump into somebody that I know wherever I go, whereas my friend in Bristol hardly ever does. However Bristol also has a much greater number of clubs, pubs and bars to go to, compared to the handful in Warwick.

Only you know which one you'll prefer.

cheers, good to get someone's opinion who's been to both. at warwick when you go out at night do you go to coventry/leamington or stay at the Student union? also how many nights a week are most people out?

thanks a lot
cheers, good to get someone's opinion who's been to both. at warwick when you go out at night do you go to coventry/leamington or stay at the Student union? also how many nights a week are most people out?

thanks a lot

some people do both, some people do neither, some people do one or the other. Depends what year you are on, what nights you like to go out on, what clubs you like.
There are a number of people at Warwick that go out 0,1,2,3,4,5 times per week. If you want to go out 5 times a week, there are nights to go to. I wouldn't expect the same people to be going out with you every night though.

thanks a lot

Both really. The big Union events are Top B on Fridays (cheap drinks, decent mix of music) and Circle/Pop on Wednesday (Circle is sports society drinking games, followed by Pop, which is cheesy 90s music). Union events, with the exception of Circle, are mainly freshers, since they live on campus. Off campus the main events are Mondays at Kasbah in Coventry (not a bad club, brilliant smoking area) and Tuesdays at Smack in Leamington. There's also Evolve on Thursdays in Leamington as well.

In Freshers, an outgoing student will probably be out twice or three times per week, plus maybe once just for a pint at the Duck or something. That said, I was in Rootes, which are known as a fun halls. It may be different in some of the more boring halls, though you'll still find people to go out with if you join a few clubs. Most clubs have a social every week.

Edit: I should also mentioned Gatecrasher in Birmingham and Saints/Amara in Leam. Uniexpress does bus trips down to Brum which are around £12 for a coach there and entry/Q-jump, great for birthdays when you wanna do something a bit different. Saints/Amara are 'exclusive' bars in Leam which normally cater to international business school kids with too much money. Personally, I hate them, but they are still pretty popular.
(edited 12 years ago)
There's stuff to do every night if you want, and you can easily find friends to go out with, so I would say it was quite exciting-but I've lived in a very quiet place up north most of my life! :tongue:

However, I can't really compare it to Bristol as I don't know much about it, even though I did turn it down for Warwick.
Reply 12
Both really. The big Union events are Top B on Fridays (cheap drinks, decent mix of music) and Circle/Pop on Wednesday (Circle is sports society drinking games, followed by Pop, which is cheesy 90s music). Union events, with the exception of Circle, are mainly freshers, since they live on campus. Off campus the main events are Mondays at Kasbah in Coventry (not a bad club, brilliant smoking area) and Tuesdays at Smack in Leamington. There's also Evolve on Thursdays in Leamington as well.

In Freshers, an outgoing student will probably be out twice or three times per week, plus maybe once just for a pint at the Duck or something. That said, I was in Rootes, which are known as a fun halls. It may be different in some of the more boring halls, though you'll still find people to go out with if you join a few clubs. Most clubs have a social every week.

Edit: I should also mentioned Gatecrasher in Birmingham and Saints/Amara in Leam. Uniexpress does bus trips down to Brum which are around £12 for a coach there and entry/Q-jump, great for birthdays when you wanna do something a bit different. Saints/Amara are 'exclusive' bars in Leam which normally cater to international business school kids with too much money. Personally, I hate them, but they are still pretty popular.

thanks a lot, really helpful. i live in coventry now so was reluctant to go to a uni where i'd be in coventry everry weekend. suppose 1 night a week at the colly(kasbah) isn't too bad

thanks!
I haven't really found Warwick boring...there's plenty to do on and off campus and I personally love the fact that you always see someone you know when you're out (as long as it's someone I want to see :tongue:)
Also, you kind of need to have a weird sense of humour....many weird things seem to happen here...

LOL too true.
Reply 15
hi,

thanks a lot

Hey im a local girl to Warwick Uni and study there myself.
Your right about the high percentage of internationals, however this doesnt affect your time!! Ive been to another Uni before, and nothing compares.
Education is brill there but mostly, the nightlife and city/surrounding areas are awesome too.
Coventry is a good night out, Kasbah is a local student place, monday night - dead cheap!!
Then you have warwick and leamington spa which are quaint yet have a good nightlife also!!
SU bar is by far the best one ive been to! Loads going on on campus aswell and its known for being really prestigious!

Any questions, feel free to message me...:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by wellz
Hey im a local girl to Warwick Uni and study there myself.
Your right about the high percentage of internationals, however this doesnt affect your time!! Ive been to another Uni before, and nothing compares.
Education is brill there but mostly, the nightlife and city/surrounding areas are awesome too.
Coventry is a good night out, Kasbah is a local student place, monday night - dead cheap!!
Then you have warwick and leamington spa which are quaint yet have a good nightlife also!!
SU bar is by far the best one ive been to! Loads going on on campus aswell and its known for being really prestigious!

Any questions, feel free to message me...:smile:

thanks a lot! didn't it put you off coming from near to warwick?
also does going out to the same places you've been to before university put you off warwick?
Reply 17
thanks a lot! didn't it put you off coming from near to warwick?
also does going out to the same places you've been to before university put you off warwick?

Not at all :smile:
It didnt put me off cos i knew it was such a good Uni, plus Uni life is really different. Also, when you go out, your going out with new mates from Uni, and the folks at Warwick are a real laugh, its so different to before Uni if you get me. lol.
Most of the international students keep themselves to themselves, unless theyre European and then they are REAL good fun!! :smile: haha
Reply 18
Original post by wellz
Not at all :smile:
It didnt put me off cos i knew it was such a good Uni, plus Uni life is really different. Also, when you go out, your going out with new mates from Uni, and the folks at Warwick are a real laugh, its so different to before Uni if you get me. lol.
Most of the international students keep themselves to themselves, unless theyre European and then they are REAL good fun!! :smile: haha

thanks!
Reply 19
hi,

thanks a lot

My boyfriend goes to Warwick. Uni is what you make of it! Yes lots of internationals, although a certain few separate themselves, lots are very outgoing, just like home students are either outgoing or not... same goes. Some of my boyfriend's best mates are international students in fact. As for which is more prestigious I think they are equal but Bristol has more history... I've firmed Bristol with Warwick as my insurance so you can see what I think!!

Quick Reply

Latest