The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tasneem Pathan
Atkinson's and Taylor's theory! I still need to revise what they are about but Atkinson argues that coroners decide whether it was suicide or not and Taylor says about coroners looking for clues such as a note or the time and place of the act. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) :smile:

OHH! Sorry haha, this is all coming back to me now. I completely forgot about Atkinson and Taylor :s-smilie: they're interactionists...I think?

And thanks again :smile:
Original post by alexsasg
OHH! Sorry haha, this is all coming back to me now. I completely forgot about Atkinson and Taylor :s-smilie: they're interactionists...I think?

And thanks again :smile:

haha no worries:smile: happy to help and yes they are, think there are some more theorists but i can't think of them off the top of my head lol:confused:
Reply 182
Douglas can be used for an essay on Suicide too, although I can't remember any details at the minute; we did about it all on Wednesday!
Original post by StitchMad
Well for a start, you can begin by looking at the main topic areas. SCLY4 is split into Crime & Deviance, Theory, and Methods. I've only completed Theory so far so I've listed them below. My teacher is very structured so we have an A3 grid for each theory: this includes quotes, key assumptions, three main theorists or approaches and then AO2. Obviously I don't know them off the top of my head quite yet, but I'll post them up eventually. Once you can learn the structure, everything just falls neatly into place and you have an essay at the end of it! :smile:

Theories:
Functionalism
Marxism
Interactionism
Feminism
New Right
Postmodernism
+ Science Debate
+ Value Freedom Debate
+ Social Policy

Which theories are more/less likely to come up?
Reply 184
Original post by nathanhaley23

The January 2012 paper was on Functionalism and New Right so it would be surprising if those were to appear again. Any of the others have a pretty equal chance of coming up. There was a question on Postivism a couple of papers back, so perhaps they could do one on Interpretivism. They could even throw a completely different question into the mix and ask us about methods and therefore encouraging us to link them to theories. The main thing to remember is that you should revise every topic extremely well. No Theory question ever stands alone - you can always use the other theories in evaluation. Even if the question is on Functionalism and New Right, you can evaluate it with Marxism, Interactionism, Feminism and Postmodernism. Be prepared for everything! :smile:
Reply 185
The January 2012 paper was on Functionalism and New Right so it would be surprising if those were to appear again. Any of the others have a pretty equal chance of coming up. There was a question on Postivism a couple of papers back, so perhaps they could do one on Interpretivism. They could even throw a completely different question into the mix and ask us about methods and therefore encouraging us to link them to theories. The main thing to remember is that you should revise every topic extremely well. No Theory question ever stands alone - you can always use the other theories in evaluation. Even if the question is on Functionalism and New Right, you can evaluate it with Marxism, Interactionism, Feminism and Postmodernism. Be prepared for everything! :smile:

Thanks for that : What is Modernism ? Late Modernity and Post Modernity ? Thanks
Reply 186
Original post by helpmekid
Thanks for that : What is Modernism ? Late Modernity and Post Modernity ? Thanks

Erm, Modernism would probably refer to the time inbetween a feudal society of agriculture and the 1960s boom of technology. I'm not 100% sure because we've only put a label on Postmodernism (post-1960s) but I'd suggest Modernism refers to the time around the Industrial Revolution... perhaps someone else can help on that one.

Sociologists are unable to decide whether we are in a whole new period of Post-modernity, or whether we're just in Late-modernity. It means pretty much the same thing (post-1960s) but the time-span of each label is highly subjective. In my opinion, society can be split into three stages... the feudal society where myth and magic ruled and peasants worked the land with agriculture. Then Modernity came where we had the rise of capitalism and the Industrial Revolution. Finally, Postmodernity hit in the 1960s with the rise of the internet and technology.

I'd probably go as far to argue that since the millenium, we're in a period of post-postmodernity due to the rise of social networking and the doors it's opened to advertising, communication, sharing, media, news, etc.

Hope that was some kind of help, but perhaps someone else will be able to clarify! :smile:
haha no worries:smile: happy to help and yes they are, think there are some more theorists but i can't think of them off the top of my head lol:confused:

+rep

Ah, I guess this means I should start revising :frown: there's so much to revise for sociology! I'm still at the beginning of my biology revision so I don't know when I'll get round to sociology. What other subjects do you do? :smile:
Reply 188
Erm, Modernism would probably refer to the time inbetween a feudal society of agriculture and the 1960s boom of technology. I'm not 100% sure because we've only put a label on Postmodernism (post-1960s) but I'd suggest Modernism refers to the time around the Industrial Revolution... perhaps someone else can help on that one.

Sociologists are unable to decide whether we are in a whole new period of Post-modernity, or whether we're just in Late-modernity. It means pretty much the same thing (post-1960s) but the time-span of each label is highly subjective. In my opinion, society can be split into three stages... the feudal society where myth and magic ruled and peasants worked the land with agriculture. Then Modernity came where we had the rise of capitalism and the Industrial Revolution. Finally, Postmodernity hit in the 1960s with the rise of the internet and technology.

I'd probably go as far to argue that since the millenium, we're in a period of post-postmodernity due to the rise of social networking and the doors it's opened to advertising, communication, sharing, media, news, etc.

Hope that was some kind of help, but perhaps someone else will be able to clarify! :smile:

Cheers for that!
Reply 189
I won't mind a sociology & social policy 33 marker. I will probably burst into tears if the 33 marker is on science.

i will die if social policy or feminists come up

and i hope ascience comes up
Reply 190

sciecnce
marxists
Original post by wwelol
sciecnce
marxists

Are they less likely?
+rep

Ah, I guess this means I should start revising :frown: there's so much to revise for sociology! I'm still at the beginning of my biology revision so I don't know when I'll get round to sociology. What other subjects do you do? :smile:

haha yeh i've started it just got a few topic left in the crime part! i know theres way too much, ahh ok when is ur biology exam? applied business and health and social care, hbu? :smile: x
Reply 193
Are they less likely?

more likely cause examiner came to our sixth form
and hinted at these 2 directly

and said postmodernists unlikely
Original post by wwelol
more likely cause examiner came to our sixth form
and hinted at these 2 directly

and said postmodernists unlikely

Thanks! Do you do beliefs for unit 3? If so do you have any tips for that?
haha yeh i've started it just got a few topic left in the crime part! i know theres way too much, ahh ok when is ur biology exam? applied business and health and social care, hbu? :smile: x

We've sorta done most things, except we haven't exactly followed the textbook so there is loads on science and theory in there that I've never learnt before :/ Haven't you broken up yet? I'll have to learn it pretty soon. It's after SCLY3 (I've got bio on the 15th and 22nd June) but I got a U in my most recent mock :colondollar: and I'm really behind! So I'm just trying to cover all that first before doing Soc haha. Cool, I do biology and spanish too :smile: x
We've sorta done most things, except we haven't exactly followed the textbook so there is loads on science and theory in there that I've never learnt before :/ Haven't you broken up yet? I'll have to learn it pretty soon. It's after SCLY3 (I've got bio on the 15th and 22nd June) but I got a U in my most recent mock :colondollar: and I'm really behind! So I'm just trying to cover all that first before doing Soc haha. Cool, I do biology and spanish too :smile: x

yeh we've finished the course but my revision has stopped at globalisation atm, but my college is making us stay in college until our exams our done :frown:! oh are u retaking SCLY3? ahh i'm sure you'll be fine in the real thing :smile: x
Reply 197
yeh we've finished the course but my revision has stopped at globalisation atm, but my college is making us stay in college until our exams our done :frown:! oh are u retaking SCLY3? ahh i'm sure you'll be fine in the real thing :smile: x

Same!
Study leave would soo help right now. Seen as in school, all we are doing atm is revising. :s-smilie: wbu?

That sucks :frown: they should totally give you study leave - it's only fair. Nope I'm not retaking it, I never sat it in January! Our school tends to not enter people for jan exams, so I'm doing both modules in June :colondollar: I'm assuming you did SCLY3 in January? How did that go? :smile:

Hopefully we'll both be fine! x
Reply 199
How many sociologists is everyone learning?
Im tryin to do a list of sociologists with a brief of the study next to it but I can see it easily reaching way over 100 (im doing unit 3&4 this summer) and im guessing that's not right? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending