The Student Room Group

Manchester 2012 Private Accomodation

Ok, So I know a lot of people (especially the freshers) is going to live in the accommodation that is provided by Manchester University and Manchester Metropolitan

But I just wanna know the opinions of people that is thinking of living in private halls such as Student Castle, unite, mcr and mill point and any other private halls.

Tell me why you chose private halls over the university ones.

thanks.

Scroll to see replies

They're overpriced - I had a (very) brief look at them for second year accommodation, and found them to be charging £30+pw more than equivalent university halls cost. I've also heard some fairly terrible things about Unite (use the search function on TSR).

Also, you tend to only get people in second & subsequent years living there, so it will tend to be quieter, and your fresher's week won't really compare.

Why are you actually thinking of going into private halls?
Reply 2
They're overpriced - I had a (very) brief look at them for second year accommodation, and found them to be charging £30+pw more than equivalent university halls cost. I've also heard some fairly terrible things about Unite (use the search function on TSR).

Also, you tend to only get people in second & subsequent years living there, so it will tend to be quieter, and your fresher's week won't really compare.

Why are you actually thinking of going into private halls?

first of all, i seem to notice that you are very active at this forum! haha props for that!

but yeah to answer your question, ermm well yeah price wise it is quite high, but i think it depends on the place really, I mean yeah the unite ones are just terrible, I went to picaddilly point and parkway gate? it was pretty bad for their price. however the other ones like student castle and mcr students are pretty good for their price, I mean especially the student castle, I think its really cheap for its quality u know so I booked it!.

well don't get me wrong, I love socializing but i also love having my own private room where I can study and rest quietly. idk i think separating personal life and social life is really important, after all I am going to university to study. not to socialized.
Original post by ctgmart
well don't get me wrong, I love socializing but i also love having my own private room where I can study and rest quietly. idk i think separating personal life and social life is really important, after all I am going to university to study. not to socialized.

But you get your own private room in uni halls as well :lolwut:

PS I'm only active in a few subforums - I do have a life after all (honest!)
Reply 4
But you get your own private room in uni halls as well

well In my opinion. the private rooms in private halls are much better. of course depending on the place.

PS I'm only active in a few subforums - I do have a life after all (honest!)

hahaha! how's Uni life anyway, i mean how do you balance it? and do u mind telling your uni and ur course???
Original post by ctgmart
well In my opinion. the private rooms in private halls are much better. of course depending on the place.

hahaha! how's Uni life anyway, i mean how do you balance it? and do u mind telling your uni and ur course???

They're prettier, that's true, but IMHO it's not worth the money just to have some plaster on the walls.

I'm doing Politics at Uni of Manchester, and I find I can balance it fine - I obviously have a fairly demanding course, I compete in sport at university level, I have a social life, and I averaged a 2:i last semester. Oh, and I'm not super smart or anything - I have A Level grades that put me amongst the dimmer UoM students! It's perfectly doable - I'm not sure what all the fuss is about tbh.
Reply 6
They're prettier, that's true, but IMHO it's not worth the money just to have some plaster on the walls.

well some of us think its worth the money some of us don't i think that's the best way to put it.

I'm doing Politics at Uni of Manchester, and I find I can balance it fine - I obviously have a fairly demanding course, I compete in sport at university level, I have a social life, and I averaged a 2:i last semester. Oh, and I'm not super smart or anything - I have A Level grades that put me amongst the dimmer UoM students! It's perfectly doable - I'm not sure what all the fuss is about tbh.

Good for you man. its good to have a balance on things, btw what sport do you play? and what is the 'sport' standing of Manchester university? are they good? because I'm Planning to join the basketball team.

yeah I guess it depends on the person really, if you have a good schedule im sure you'll be able to juggle it about.
Reply 7
I am staying in Hardy Farm provided I get the grades :smile:
Reply 8
I am staying in Hardy Farm provided I get the grades

Which uni you going to? isn't that abit far from the city centre?
Reply 9
I'm going to The Manchester College, Fielden Campus. The halls are closest to there.
Original post by Slapstick11
I am staying in Hardy Farm provided I get the grades :smile:

I know exactly where that is, and pass by it several times a week; are you aware that you are going to be living slap bang next to a building site for the new Metrolink tramline extension?
Original post by Origami Bullets
I know exactly where that is, and pass by it several times a week; are you aware that you are going to be living slap bang next to a building site for the new Metrolink tramline extension?

Ouch, thanks for the heads up, problem is I plan to bike to college in the morning and none of the other private halls are close enough because most are in the centre of Manchester rather then south.

Do you know how close to finshed the work in as I will move in in September. Thanks for your advice :biggrin:
Original post by Slapstick11
Ouch, thanks for the heads up, problem is I plan to bike to college in the morning and none of the other private halls are close enough because most are in the centre of Manchester rather then south.

Do you know how close to finshed the work in as I will move in in September. Thanks for your advice :biggrin:

Erm, nowhere near completion by the looks of things. The airport line (of which this building work is part of) is due to open in summer 2016.

You've got a pretty short cycle ride by the looks of things (but then again, I'm someone who doesn't bat an eyelid at a 10 mile round trip commute by bike) but I'd definitely recommend taking a set of panniers to take your shopping home in, as you're a fair walk from a large supermarket.
Reply 13
Hi, sorry if I welling out of this conversation.
I have to find an accomodation in Manchester from the 1st of July because I'll start pre-sessional english course and from september my Mres. I'm wavering between University Accomodation and private house/flat (private halls are too expensive).

I have some questions (if you can help me):
1) can I host friends who would come to visit me in the Univ Accomodation?
2) I know that in the accomodation there is "hornet", the broadband service. Has it restriction for his use? I mean... torrent, download, streaming ecc...
3) I found many private flat/houses in Fallowfield (from which I understood is the student zone), especially around Platt Field park and Dickensong Road and are all really cheap if compared with university accomodation. Actually, some are cheaper of my flat here in Italy.
It is only because thery are private or because the zone isn't really safe?
Thank you
Original post by Shotokhan
x

1) can I host friends who would come to visit me in the Univ Accommodation?
Yes. Theoretically speaking they're not meant to stay more than 2 nights in a row, but in reality no one ever checks, no one cares, and we've had people stay here for at least a week at a time.
2) I know that in the accommodation there is "hornet", the broadband service. Has it restriction for his use? I mean... torrent, download, streaming etc...
You're not meant to do illegal downloading (because hey, well, it's illegal, and it's illegal wherever you live - uni halls or private accommodation) but I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for it.
3) I found many private flat/houses in Fallowfield (from which I understood is the student zone), especially around Platt Field park and Dickenson Road and are all really cheap if compared with university accomodation. Actually, some are cheaper of my flat here in Italy.
It is only because they are private or because the zone isn't really safe?
The area itself is fine, so long as you don't go west of Wilmslow Road into Moss Side. However, there are a few main reasons why they look cheaper at first glance
a) They don't include bills or internet, which all university halls do
b) They probably won't be up to the same standard in terms of maintenance and general quality. There are some landlords from hell out there.
c) You have to pay 52 weeks of rent, rather than just 40 weeks in uni halls (you won't want to stay there all summer anyway, and your stuff can be put into storage quite cheaply if you can't take it home).

Honestly, you're better off going into uni halls. If you go for Oak House then it's only £82 per week, for 40 weeks, including bills & internet. That actually works out significantly cheaper for me than next year's private shared house, in the area you refer to, overall.

Also, you will get to make lots of new friends in halls, whereas it's quite likely that you will find yourself moving into an established group of friends in their 2nd / 3rd year, who only want you there to pay the rent, and don't want to live the lifestyle that first year's usually want to live.
Reply 15
2) I know that in the accommodation there is "hornet", the broadband service. Has it restriction for his use? I mean... torrent, download, streaming etc...
You're not meant to do illegal downloading (because hey, well, it's illegal, and it's illegal wherever you live - uni halls or private accommodation) but I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for it.

Ahaha yea that's true, also in my university (University of Pisa, youw know... the city with the leaning tower) isn't allowed but everyone download whatever he wants, but sometime the internet service notice that and write you an email. Anyhow if everybody download it's ok for me (I admit that for me internet without downloads, lose usefulness :biggrin: )

Uhm, so Moss Side is dangerous. Ok, however you convinced me (actually I was wondering for a reason to take university accomodation :wink: ) in fact I didn't noticed the number of the week... now I will take the university accomodation for sure.
Have you ever seen Grovenor Place? How is it?
Ah, one last question... I accepted the offer for the course that university made me on the website. Usually how it work in UK? What have I to do? Because things are pretty different in Italy.

Thank you so much.
Reply 16
Ah, one last question... I accepted the offer for the course that university made me on the website. Usually how it work in UK? What have I to do? Because things are pretty different in Italy.

what kind of offer did you receive?
Unconditional or Conditional?

if you receive a 'conditional offer', that means that you need to meet certain requirements for you to be able to study in Manchester University.

However, If you receive "unconditional", you don't have anything to worry about, because it means that they are fully accepting you without any conditions.

the best thing to do is to get in touch with them. depending on your course it may differ,

Also, Manchester as a place is pretty safe. i mean in comparison to london, the crime rate is really low.
Reply 17
The offer is conditional, because I have a 6.0 at IELTS instead 6.5 so I have to follow pre-session english course from 1st of July to the second week of September (also if I hope that I can convince to let me go after 1 month and half... it could be enough for 0.5 point! :smile: )

Your information about crime rate reassure me, thanks
Original post by Shotokhan
Uhm, so Moss Side is dangerous. Ok, however you convinced me (actually I was wondering for a reason to take university accomodation :wink: ) in fact I didn't noticed the number of the week... now I will take the university accomodation for sure.
Have you ever seen Grovenor Place? How is it?

Thank you so much.

I visited Grosvenor once, and it looked fine to me (I only saw the kitchen / dining room / corridors though.

TBH Moss Side isn't quite as fearsome as its reputation - it mainly got its reputation in the 1980s and hasn't lost it since, despite there being a lot of money poured into it, better policing etc. I've been there a few times and never had any problems, but I certainly wouldn't want to live there.

You need to accept the course on UCAS. Your first choice is called your firm, and your second choice is called your insurance.
I live in private halls that are cheaper than the cheapest uni halls and have far better facilities. You just have to look around. manchesterstudenthomes.com is a good place to look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending