The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Commuting to Hertfordshire uni

I am starting at Hertfordshire uni in September and am commuting (a 40 min bus ride) however the last bus is something like 10.Has anyone else done this how do you manage on nights out, fresher’s week etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kellyyy
I am starting at Hertfordshire uni in September and am commuting (a 40 min bus ride) however the last bus is something like 10.Has anyone else done this how do you manage on nights out, fresher’s week etc.

I would say, try to look for someone to stay with at uni! If that doesn't work out, find a taxi, though that would be pretty expensive if you do that a couple of nights.

I don't know what other people have come up with but yeah.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by kellyyy

I'm commuting too next week!.. but I am driving, probably easier than catching buses (from where I live anyway) I think just try and go with people who drive or something so it's easier for you to get home, or try and find a cheap taxi service in Herts...
Reply 3
I'm also commuting next week. I'm catching the bus and my journey's an 1 hour and 30 minutes :'( Some looooooooong week for me net week :frown:. Yeah I agree with KatieO, try driving with some people that you know, I don't think it will be nice to catch a bus at night.
Reply 4
Original post by ********
I'm also commuting next week. I'm catching the bus and my journey's an 1 hour and 30 minutes :'( Some looooooooong week for me net week :frown:. Yeah I agree with KatieO, try driving with some people that you know, I don't think it will be nice to catch a bus at night.

Yay someone else commuting! Where you commuting from? I am driving! No deffo don't catch a bus late at night, not safe these days (sound like my Mum saying that but so true)!

What you studying? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by KatieO
Yay someone else commuting! Where you commuting from? I am driving! No deffo don't catch a bus late at night, not safe these days (sound like my Mum saying that but so true)!

What you studying? :smile:

Honestly I get so happy when I find out that someone else is also commuting haha. I'm commuting from Luton. Yeah exactly, these days its REALLY not a good idea to catch buses late at night, there are some weird people around! I'm studying Law by the way. What about yourself? :smile:
Reply 6
:wink: Hi again ******** !

You no doubt remember our earlier communications regarding your commute from Luton;

Glad you have pretty well got sorted, if you can find somebody to share a lift with and pool the costs that`s good, but if you are still thinking of the bus then as said, the UNO 636 is your best bet, giving a direct service from Luton to the Hatfield Campuses & return. Don`t forget a few of these services start and finish at Leagave.

The 19.15 & 21.15 from the H of U Forum, 19.22 & 21.22 from de Hav, are numbered 101 & become a express service after calling at the T- Mobile stop arriving Luton Church St. 20.30 & 22.30.

The Zone 1 & 2 student pass is still £400 (I contacted UNO today to confirm this) which isn`t bad value for money working out at £1.09p/day if taken over the whole year, or £2-odd /day if only used for say, six months. It gives you unlimited travel on UNO buses within the two zones, with the exception of the 700 between Baldock & Stanstead Airport & the 712/714 UNO service to London Victoria.

Hope his helps. Can I also alert students to my other thread currently on page 11 of 08 Feb 2012 regarding buses/ trains on this site, and others in particular those about the 607 Hatfield Circular service, the later evening services of which we came very close to losing. And don`t forget the Sunday evening service which was taken off the road for six months and re -instated following a combined protest from residents and students alike, will only stay if sufficiently used as, unlike the remainder of the service which is Council/Estate developer funded, since Sept last year it is run commercially by UNO.

You only have to look what has happened to services such as the 634, which has been reduced from something like twelve buses to three/daily within the last year to see this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by UnclePete
:wink: Hi again ******** !

You no doubt remember our earlier communications regarding your commute from Luton;

Glad you have pretty well got sorted, if you can find somebody to share a lift with and pool the costs that`s good, but if you are still thinking of the bus then as said, the UNO 636 is your best bet, giving a direct service from Luton to the Hatfield Campuses & return. Don`t forget a few of these services start and finish at Leagave.

The 19.15 & 21.15 from the H of U Forum, 19.22 & 21.22 from de Hav, are numbered 101 & become a express service after calling at the T- Mobile stop arriving Luton Church St. 20.30 & 22.30.

The Zone 1 & 2 student pass is still £400 (I contacted UNO today to confirm this) which isn`t bad value for money working out at £1.09p/day if taken over the whole year, or £2-odd /day if only used for say, six months. It gives you unlimited travel on UNO buses within the two zones, with the exception of the 700 between Baldock & Stanstead Airport & the 712/714 UNO service to London Victoria.

Hope his helps. Can I also alert students to my other threads regarding buses/ trains on this site, in particular those about the 607 Hatfield Circular service, the later evening services of which we came very close to losing. And don`t forget the Sunday evening service which was taken off the road for six months and re -instated following a combined protest from residents and students alike, will only stay if sufficiently used as, unlike the remainder of the service which is Council/Estate developer funded, since Sept last year it is run commercially by UNO.

You only have to look what has happened to services such as the 634, which has been reduced from something like twelve buses to three/daily within the last year to see this.

Hi again! :smile:

Thanks for your help. If I wanted to get the annual pass would I have to pay the £400 to the UNO bus driver or is there some document which I need to fill out and send it to UNO?
Reply 8
Hi again! :smile:

Thanks for your help. If I wanted to get the annual pass would I have to pay the £400 to the UNO bus driver or is there some document which I need to fill out and send it to UNO?

The bus driver won't take £400 from you. You need to fill in this http://www.unobus.info/pdfs/application_form.pdf and take it to the student centre (Yellow building at the front of College Lane campus).
Reply 9
Original post by flipshot
The bus driver won't take £400 from you. You need to fill in this http://www.unobus.info/pdfs/application_form.pdf and take it to the student centre (Yellow building at the front of College Lane campus).

Yeah I had a feeling that the bus driver won't take £400, just thought I'd double check. Oh ok...student centre...got it...thanks! :smile:
Reply 10
Honestly I get so happy when I find out that someone else is also commuting haha. I'm commuting from Luton. Yeah exactly, these days its REALLY not a good idea to catch buses late at night, there are some weird people around! I'm studying Law by the way. What about yourself? :smile:

Yay! Commuters ftw haha! I'm Katie Oxberry btw, add me on Facebook if you have it. I'm from Slough, so shouldn't be too hard to find :smile:
I am studying education studies with early years!
Law sounds interesting!
Hopefully talk to you on Facebook :smile:)
Reply 11
Original post by KatieO
Yay! Commuters ftw haha! I'm Katie Oxberry btw, add me on Facebook if you have it. I'm from Slough, so shouldn't be too hard to find :smile:
I am studying education studies with early years!
Law sounds interesting!
Hopefully talk to you on Facebook :smile:)

I'm from Slough too and i'm commuting lol. But i've decided to go by train until I get a bit more driving experience.
Reply 12
Original post by Jamie14
I'm from Slough too and i'm commuting lol. But i've decided to go by train until I get a bit more driving experience.

Omg haha this is awesome!!!! Someone from Slough, hello! :smile: Ah okay, well if you ever fancy a lift, gimme a shout :smile: can add me on Facebook if you like? Talk on there? What you studying? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by KatieO
Omg haha this is awesome!!!! Someone from Slough, hello! :smile: Ah okay, well if you ever fancy a lift, gimme a shout :smile: can add me on Facebook if you like? Talk on there? What you studying? :smile:

Haha i was surprised to find someone local! Everyone seems to be from London. I'm studying economics there and hoping i can manage the commute. I haven't got an FB right now but might set one up once uni gets started cos i'll probably need it.
:wink: Hi again Jamie-

Glad you`ve sorted out most of your travel plans. If you can tie up with somebody local to yourself, share costs, and it seems you are halfway there already, then great. That`s what I`ve done myself in the past.

If in the interim you decide to bus it all the way to the Uof H rather than train into Paddington, and all the hassle there on, you could catch a bus (FirstGroup 51?) that runs every half hourly from Slough to Uxbridge, then the 724 Green Line bus that runs hourly direct from there to Hatfield via Rickmansworth- Watford- St. Albans. This stops outside the de Hav Campus, at the stop opposite the Jarvis Comet Hotel.

I had occasion to go to Windsor again last Wednesday, using public transport, so I took the 07.00 Green line 797 from Hatfield to Hendon, changed to the TfL 83 to Ealing Broadway and trained it on from there. It took something like one hour from Hendon to Ealing, with all the school traffic around Wembley and Alperton, and of course Hanger Lane! Coming back I used the Windsor -Slough - Uxbridge - Hatfield bus option, which worked out pretty well - but this was 1.30 in the afternoon, not rush hour.

The bus Slough -Uxbridge- Hatfield may be worth a look at, but for quickness the train is most probably the best, if most expensive.

Let me know how you get on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Jamie14
Haha i was surprised to find someone local! Everyone seems to be from London. I'm studying economics there and hoping i can manage the commute. I haven't got an FB right now but might set one up once uni gets started cos i'll probably need it.

So was I tbh :smile: most of the people I have been speakingto come from the Stevange area :smile: and okay thats cool, anyway gimme a shout if you want anything. The commute isnt that bad for driving, bus maybe bit harder and stuff haven't really considered it tbh. Where abouts in Slough do you live?
Original post by kellyyy

Hi all, I'm going to be commuting to Hertfordshire from London (east London - Walthamstow if anyone knows it). I reckon if I were to go out and stay out late I've a few friends that live in the area that I'd stay with so I'd recommend getting to know people quick and staying with them!
Reply 17
im in first year now , ive met quite a few people from my local area who are at uni through tsr and facebook and we normally all split a taxi or stay in the travelodge just down the road as its like £15 a night sometimes :biggrin:.What course are you studying ?
Reply 18
I am studying education studies with early years. Where abouts do you come from? :smile:
Original post by KatieO
I am studying education studies with early years. Where abouts do you come from? :smile:

I'm from East London so will be commuting from there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending