The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Had lessons with instructor for 30 hours then bought my own car to practise with different people so far I have driven at least 110 hours around 3,000 miles including load of driving at evening time seen other's car chased by police car, drunk driving etc, who nearly crashed to mine. I believe my driving is fine however have failed my test three times so far.

First time two dangers. I drove too close to a parked car. The examiner grabbed the steering wheel when I was passing the car. This affected me lot. Later I was stopped by the examiner during reverse parallel parking. He thought I didnt reverse enough before turning left which will cause collision to the left car if I continued the manoeuvre. I reckoned I may parked a bit too close to the left car.

Second time three serious. I didnt realise I was driving on a parking lane after a bus-stop. I also parked too far from the kerb as told by the examiner in the end. I did remember I may put the reference wrong due to the leaf shadow and sunshine reflection. I was also told by the examiner that I moved off too slow behind parked car which caused a car in far distance slow down.

Third time still two serious. I forgot to position my car on the right when turning right at the end of one way street. I didnt slow down when approaching puffin crossing as I didnt notice pedestrian standing on other side of road due to busy oncoming traffic. The green light suddenly changed to amber. I decided not driving through amber as I found no car behind me. I slammed the brake to stop the car before the solid line, like an emergence stop.
(edited 6 years ago)
I’ve failed twice now never been so pissed off, been such a huge knock on my confidence

First time I had 3 minors and the serious was a lolipop man waiting but not really indicating for me to stop so the examiner stopped the car for me. I was extremely nervous and the nerves overwhelmed me.

The second time I also had 3 minors. The serious I made was when I was 5 minutes from finishing and stalled as I left a roundabout cause I didn’t go into first gear from second after stopping. Instead of nerves and being overwhelmed I am now left with plain anger.

Trying to convince myself driving is the worst thing so I don’t feel too bad about failing but it would’ve made my life so much easier 😩😩😩
Original post by shymew
I’ve failed twice now never been so pissed off, been such a huge knock on my confidence

First time I had 3 minors and the serious was a lolipop man waiting but not really indicating for me to stop so the examiner stopped the car for me. I was extremely nervous and the nerves overwhelmed me.

The second time I also had 3 minors. The serious I made was when I was 5 minutes from finishing and stalled as I left a roundabout cause I didn’t go into first gear from second after stopping. Instead of nerves and being overwhelmed I am now left with plain anger.

Trying to convince myself driving is the worst thing so I don’t feel too bad about failing but it would’ve made my life so much easier 😩😩😩

Brush those failures off and look at the positive, you failed due to sloppy mistakes, which can easily be rectified by controlling your nerves:smile:

Get your test booked and smash it on your third attempt.
Anyone gonna be taking their test after the new changes in December? I've got mine booked for the 5h of december was wondering if i made the right choice in booking it to sit the new test.
Original post by King Leonidas
Brush those failures off and look at the positive, you failed due to sloppy mistakes, which can easily be rectified by controlling your nerves:smile:

Get your test booked and smash it on your third attempt.

I’ve booked it for the 5th December the day after the new test starts and the thought of driving is just annoying lol cause now I have to learn a new manoeuvre
Original post by chosenone93
Anyone gonna be taking their test after the new changes in December? I've got mine booked for the 5h of december was wondering if i made the right choice in booking it to sit the new test.

I suppose if you’ve failed before it’s a fresh start?
Reply 6366
Original post by shymew
I’ve booked it for the 5th December the day after the new test starts and the thought of driving is just annoying lol cause now I have to learn a new manoeuvre

But they're things you'll find useful in every day life. You shouldn't be thinking of them just as "new manoeuvres" as it's additional skills you will need once you pass.

The only new manoeuvres are driving into a bay and reversing out - which most people do when they park, so you'll need to practise this - and reversing in a straight line.

You'll then need to answer a question whilst driving - and you probably do this anyway, to talk to your instructor. The independent driving part is longer, and you'll probably need to be able to follow a sat nav, but it's still not a problem if you go the wrong way as long as you do it safely. So you can essentially just go wherever you want and still be able to pass.
Original post by Juno
But they're things you'll find useful in every day life. You shouldn't be thinking of them just as "new manoeuvres" as it's additional skills you will need once you pass.

The only new manoeuvres are driving into a bay and reversing out - which most people do when they park, so you'll need to practise this - and reversing in a straight line.

You'll then need to answer a question whilst driving - and you probably do this anyway, to talk to your instructor. The independent driving part is longer, and you'll probably need to be able to follow a sat nav, but it's still not a problem if you go the wrong way as long as you do it safely. So you can essentially just go wherever you want and still be able to pass.

I think cause I’ve never liked the instructor that taught me it’s put me off driving a bit and now I have to find a new driving instructor just for the manoeuvre 😂😭 I drive with family in free time which helps a lot especially when going shopping with parking etc
Reply 6368
Original post by shymew
I think cause I’ve never liked the instructor that taught me it’s put me off driving a bit and now I have to find a new driving instructor just for the manoeuvre 😂😭 I drive with family in free time which helps a lot especially when going shopping with parking etc

But if you can do all the other bits, there's no reason you can't practise these new bits with your family. Next time you park, drive in and reverse out. There! You've learnt one of the new manoeuvres. If you find a quiet bit of carpark and reverse for 2 car lengths, you've then learnt the other. Pick some different shops to go to and programme a satnav (bearing in mind that if you use a mobile phone as a satnav it should be in a suitable cradle or holder) and you've even practised that bit.
Original post by Juno

If you follow the sat nav into the river (which according to the sat nav is a road), does it count as a pass or fail?
Original post by Juno
But if you can do all the other bits, there's no reason you can't practise these new bits with your family. Next time you park, drive in and reverse out. There! You've learnt one of the new manoeuvres. If you find a quiet bit of carpark and reverse for 2 car lengths, you've then learnt the other. Pick some different shops to go to and programme a satnav (bearing in mind that if you use a mobile phone as a satnav it should be in a suitable cradle or holder) and you've even practised that bit.

That’s quite true, would save me a lot of money on lessons as well. I plan on driving to sixth form with my mum and then she’ll take the car home so it gives me that extra practice
Reply 6371
Original post by FightToWin
If you follow the sat nav into the river (which according to the sat nav is a road), does it count as a pass or fail?

That would be a fail, since you've not done a safe route :facepalm:
Original post by Juno
That would be a fail, since you've not done a safe route :facepalm:

But if it's what the sat nav tells you to do, and you follow it..
Hey everyone! :wavey:

This thread has been closed. A continuation of this thread can be found by clicking here.

Latest

Trending

Trending