The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lp94
No sorry, it wasn't right at the start of the test, not in the car park. About five minutes in. He asked me to pull up on the left behind another parked car on a main road, and then to move off again. That is called an angle start, right?

I see, so you tried to get out of the spot, but was close to the car ahead?

What if you tried reversing it a metre back or so? Would he have allowed you to do so?
Reply 1381
Original post by James A
I see, so you tried to get out of the spot, but was close to the car ahead?

What if you tried reversing it a metre back or so? Would he have allowed you to do so?

Yeah, I think I had parked too close to the other car to begin with. He classed the dangerous fault under steering though, so does that mean he thought if I had steered more I would have been okay?

Possibly, my instructor did say I could have asked to reverse a little and then move off. But I doubt I would even have thought to do that.
Original post by lp94
Yeah, I think I had parked too close to the other car to begin with. He classed the dangerous fault under steering though, so does that mean he thought if I had steered more I would have been okay?

Possibly, my instructor did say I could have asked to reverse a little and then move off. But I doubt I would even have thought to do that.

Well I haven't taken my test and to be fair, it wouldn't cross my mind either to reverse back if I were in your situation, although in hindsight it seems obvious......... :colondollar:

Yeah understeer refers to not putting enough steer lock on the wheel.

It must be annoying, but you have plenty of time to practice with your instructor again! The five minors you got is decent, because my instructor said if you get under 6 minors, then you've done a good job.

It's ashame, :sad:

I hope you pass next time, I know you will :hugs:
Reply 1383
Original post by James A
Well I haven't taken my test and to be fair, it wouldn't cross my mind either to reverse back if I were in your situation, although in hindsight it seems obvious......... :colondollar:

Yeah understeer refers to not putting enough steer lock on the wheel.

It must be annoying, but you have plenty of time to practice with your instructor again! The five minors you got is decent, because my instructor said if you get under 6 minors, then you've done a good job.

It's ashame, :sad:

I hope you pass next time, I know you will :hugs:

It does seem obvious now, haha. I was on a main road as well, it was so busy! I was surprised he asked me to pull up on such a busy road, wasn't expecting it at all so perhaps that's why I ended up getting too close.

I didn't mean 'understeer', I meant he put the fault under the 'steering' category. But yes, the fact that he reached for the wheel too makes me think I should have just steered more.

That's what my instructor said too, that 5 minors means there isn't anything major wrong with my driving otherwise. I'm so annoyed at myself! Mainly because of how much money I've wasted. Now I'm terrified of messing up on something else when I retake it, I can just about scrape together enough for another test and another couple of lessons.

Thank you! :grin: I really hope so. And good luck for yours when you do take it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1384
After hearing how many thins can go wrong that are classed as majors im completely put off doing my 2nd test. I failed today, with 8 minors n 1 major. The examiner told me to follow a sign and I hesitated n changed lanes! That would never of happened if the examiner hadnt of been rearranging his tackle whilst giving me directions!!!! Saddest thing about it is that everything I was terrified of I.e roundabouts, manouvres & independant driving went very well now im worried ill fail in these areas next time. How could they label me unfit to drive over this 1 freak error? :frown: - next test 10th April,
Original post by TheBee
After hearing how many thins can go wrong that are classed as majors im completely put off doing my 2nd test. I failed today, with 8 minors n 1 major. The examiner told me to follow a sign and I hesitated n changed lanes! That would never of happened if the examiner hadnt of been rearranging his tackle whilst giving me directions!!!! Saddest thing about it is that everything I was terrified of I.e roundabouts, manouvres & independant driving went very well now im worried ill fail in these areas next time. How could they label me unfit to drive over this 1 freak error? :frown: - next test 10th April,

Don't be put off! :smile:

I personally think the test is somewhat subjective, each examiner is bound to mark differently, and one may class something similar as a minor and another may class that as a major. You shouldn't feel like you're going to fail in those areas, it sound like you've already done well in them, definitely don't be put off. Good luck :smile:
I failed three times in three different towns! finally passed a while ago :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I passed today - third time lucky! Though I did get a rather long and uncomfortable lecture about how my dawdling will "annoy other road users"...which I thought was a bit harsh since there was horizontal snow at some points and I was trying to keep a good distance. (May have overcompensated a bit though because in my first test I got a Serious for speeding.)

Got 8 minors in all: 3 were for "inappropriate speed" and 1 for "ancillary controls" because my screen got smeary and I fumbled with the windscreen wipers a bit.

The funny thing is, the route I got today was by far the most challenging! Lots of dual carriageway and roundabouts and then into this awful one-way system of narrow streets and steep inclines. And then I did the worst park of my life!

The first two tests I had were much easier routes: failed the first (1 S, 10 M) for speeding (going 34 in a 30) and the second (1S 5M) because my "parallel park was at 45 degrees"...which was a major exaggeration on the examiner's part. It was out a bit, but only fractionally.

Anyway, good luck to everyone taking a test soon. I know it's hard to stay positive but it's so important to try to, so the nerves don't pull you under!
Rebooked my test for 9th April at the same time and again a Tuesday. Here's hoping its the same examiner! I've noticed I did much better in exams when I relaxed so hoping to do the same as nerves let me down. Going to approach it and try and enjoy it, my driving in the first test was worse than my very first lesson! I hate how there are so many little things I could fail for, I can't afford to keep taking tests!
Failed 2 mock tests with 12 majors- pretty bad huh? However passed my real test 1st time - I was convinced i had failed in the first 20 seconds leaving the test centre as I did t look and pulled straight out, I saw the examiner move his foot to slam the brakes on but I got to the brakes first and stopped the car just before he did, so thinking I must have failed i drove really well and relaxed for the rest of the test and passed with 8 minors! :smile:
Hearing about all the things that have gone wrong for other people, and looking on the back of my driving test report and seeing all the stupid little things they consider faults it makes it seem absolutely pointless and impossible.
I have a friend who passed her test and now dangerously speeds everywhere, yet someone sensible like me gets failed for some dodgy parking. Ridiculous to be honest.

It's very much subjective to the examiner, mine happened to be a knob and I'm in the middle of putting a complaint in - not about the result of my driving test, but about the sheer lack of consideration, manners, and the horrible little petty personal comments he kept making. I feel that contributed to my performance a hell of a lot. I hadn't even started the engine and he was already being a total cretin. Hesitant to even book another test because I need to make sure he won't be doing it.
Reply 1391
ive another test tomorrow :/ im really worried about driving in the snow - id just phoned the test center and they said all tests still ok to go - yikes
Original post by cat2280
ive another test tomorrow :/ im really worried about driving in the snow - id just phoned the test center and they said all tests still ok to go - yikes

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you...I was nervous about the snow too but it turned out that was the one I passed!
have my 2nd test 2 weeks on friday, i'll be truely gutted if i fail again! the sheer cost of driving is painful.
Reply 1394
Original post by just_jenn
Good luck! Fingers crossed for you...I was nervous about the snow too but it turned out that was the one I passed!

thank you! passed with 2 minors - so glad its over, i can honestly say its been the most stressful time of my life lol
Original post by cat2280
thank you! passed with 2 minors - so glad its over, i can honestly say its been the most stressful time of my life lol

Woohoo! Congrats! See...the snow obviously brought us luck, lol
Original post by Mouth

YOu know 'death junction'? The bit at the end of hall lane where you have to cross the two paths of the A127 to get on the road and it's always really hard to pull out. That's scary!

I managed to stall on those two paths on my 3rd test, was humiliating as I slowed both paths down!

My examiner was a t*sspot though!:mad:
Reply 1397
Original post by Advisor
She never said she was "told off". The examiner simply stated the test could be terminated, which is correct. If a candidate cannot follow simple instructions and continually ignores directions and goes off route to the point that legal requirements cannot be complied with, then the examiner is within his right to terminate the test.

Informing candidates of that possibility usually sharpens them up and they usually start making (some) effort then. It's only three directions at a time, it's not rocket science.

Its not rocket science but if your incredibly nervous and the examiner says 'Take the second exit on the left, carry down that road and take the third right then the next left' its quite hard to remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheBee

Same thing happened to me, the sign said to go left but I drove straight past it and went ahead for some reason I then panicked and tried to change lanes.. Was in an inappropriate gear for my speed an landed myself a serious fault. I was so scared about the roundabouts but done them all perfectly and now I'm scared as I'm having to worry about them all over again. I have my next test a a different test center on the 11th April. Really hoping I pass this time can't afford to make the same silly mistake
Anyone taken their test in Reading? Where do they ask you to follow signs for the independent driving bit? Which locations?

Latest

Trending

Trending