The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by littledolly
It's so picky and ridiculous. It's not fair really. Why do they have to fail someone for something that can be improved?
Because you're meant to improve BEFORE taking your test, not make empty promises like "I'll do better next time", or "I'll start my diet next week", or "I'll give up smoking tomorrow".

Words mean nothing, actions speak louder than words.
Reply 1781
Failed for the first time today, absolutely gutted (especially after failing my theory first time too!) Got two serious and 6 minors, serious was on my left reverse apparently I didn't check over my right hand shoulder whilst doing the manoeuvre, but I checked before I began and my instructor never said I had to check over my right shoulder whilst completing the rest of it. Other serious was I was waiting behind a parked van, thought the car ahead was slowing down to let me go and either it wasn't or it sped up again and had to slow down because I'd moved out, examiner obviously wasn't impressed with his thankyou and shouts of "THANKS!!!!!"

Rebooked for a months time, but no confidence left at all.:frown:
Reply 1782
hi guys im so sad i couldn't believe that i fail for the third time i had 10 minor but 4 where same position and 4 other where same i don't remember what as i cut the paper the serious was not fear one girl was cycling and i wait long he said behind to overtake her ,
any way i think that im going to give up maybe im not meant to drive my instructor said that i drive well and he couldn't believe that i fail again ,i was nervous but i could control it after few minute, any why good luck to all of you who tray to pass but i think ill go over this i don't want to be disappointed any more i will stop doing any test and just take a public transport not every one should drive .
Original post by Dina29
hi guys im so sad i couldn't believe that i fail for the third time i had 10 minor but 4 where same position and 4 other where same i don't remember what as i cut the paper the serious was not fear one girl was cycling and i wait long he said behind to overtake her ,
any way i think that im going to give up maybe im not meant to drive my instructor said that i drive well and he couldn't believe that i fail again ,i was nervous but i could control it after few minute, any why good luck to all of you who tray to pass but i think ill go over this i don't want to be disappointed any more i will stop doing any test and just take a public transport not every one should drive .

No, don't give up! You can do this :smile: keep going. Next time will be a pass.
Original post by Dina29

DON'T GIVE UP! Please, it really makes me sad to read things like this. If you give up now then all the time and money you've spent so far would be wasted.
Take it from me, I failed six times before I passed but now I've got my license and I drive every day and I'm so glad I didn't give up, as will you be when you do pass.
Reply 1785
Original post by amyshamblesxx
DON'T GIVE UP! Please, it really makes me sad to read things like this. If you give up now then all the time and money you've spent so far would be wasted.
Take it from me, I failed six times before I passed but now I've got my license and I drive every day and I'm so glad I didn't give up, as will you be when you do pass.

yeah thanks but i don't know cause this morning i told that i past and i argue with the examiner and i thing there's only 2 and i faild with the other one 2 times in nuneaton so maybe i have to change the test center what do you think
Original post by blubimnotafish
I failed my test about a month ago ;( thougt I was doing quite alrightexcept for a few mistakes, but apparently the examiner thougt I didn't look out enoug when pulling up and taking turns and such.

I think the most frustrating thing is that I see a lot of people on the roads who make mistakes like mine, but for them it doesn't matter because they already have their license anyway >=[

Having my fingers crossed for the 4th of July when I have to take my test again...

Feel exactly the same. We both have our next test on the same day.... fingers crossed!
Don't worry if you fail. I failed twice and the 3rd test I thought I wasn't going to pass because I was driving abnormally before my test and worrying about everything. It was odd, I felt I gave up the day of my test. Like others, I felt really confident on my first test, and I was. But I made a silly mistake. I also was given 2 other serious which I could have disagreed with.

My second test was hesitation which was because of the first test. I was driving too slowly and was so worked up from the first test that I didn't drive as well as the first. And I had 2 other faults which I could have disagreed with. What I should have done is worked my confidence again and taken a test later. Try to be calm and get thoughts of other tests out.

My 3rd test was amazing. My examiner was really friendly. I really do feel this helped me and my nerves but I did pass and even though I drove oddly before my test, my test went really well. Make sure you are mentally prepared. Don't overthink. And try to drive as normal.

Even though my first test I drove so well, apart from the mistakes, as someone else has said, I have learnt so much since then. I have seen a lot on the road, but general experience as a driver has been worth the wait. I haven't driven since I passed because I am not sure about insurance yet but I am glad I got the time on the road as I was learning.

Whatever the case, I know other drivers are crazy on the road, but we can't think of them. You have to really focus on what you would do if your instructor or examiner wasn't in the car. Try to imagine yourself driving on your own. You probably would be more careful and stop earlier and so on.

You don't know what your driving exam will be like on the day so try to be yourself and focus on how to drive like a pro, as your instructor taught you.

Lastly, hope you all pass and be safe drivers.
Original post by calculate
Don't worry if you fail.
My 3rd test was amazing. My examiner was really friendly. I really do feel this helped me and my nerves but I did pass and even though I drove oddly before my test, my test went really well. Make sure you are mentally prepared. Don't overthink. And try to drive as normal.

Even though my first test I drove so well, apart from the mistakes, as someone else has said, I have learnt so much since then. I have seen a lot on the road, but general experience as a driver has been worth the wait. I haven't driven since I passed because I am not sure about insurance yet but I am glad I got the time on the road as I was learning.

Whatever the case, I know other drivers are crazy on the road, but we can't think of them. You have to really focus on what you would do if your instructor or examiner wasn't in the car. Try to imagine yourself driving on your own. You probably would be more careful and stop earlier and so on.

You don't know what your driving exam will be like on the day so try to be yourself and focus on how to drive like a pro, as your instructor taught you.

Lastly, hope you all pass and be safe drivers.

Well stated ^^^
I didn't think I would have to join this thread, but after reading some of the motivating posts I want to...

I have been learning to drive for far too long, I have had SO many lessons, and was glad to have my test on May 1st. It went pretty well EXCEPT for the very end, where I was wary about the tight entrance back into the test centre, and was so focused on it I forgot to signal... that was my only serious.

Today, after a good 10 hours more lessons, I had my second attempt. I was quite confident, and thought that the test would be quite easy, considering my previous performance. Unlike the last test where I was given the easy parallel park, I was told to reverse into a bay in the test centre right at the start. I HATE having to park in a bay when there isn't a car/wall on one side for guidance. I don't know about other people, but considering I'm not the tallest guy in the world, I don't have a great, if any, view of the bay lines when trying to look back through my window/in my side view mirrors when I am straightening up with the bay. I literally treat it as a game of luck, I go with the posistioning method* that my instructor tells me and I hope for the best.

*This 'method' is simply lining up the back door's handle with the adjacent bay's outer bay-line, and then reversing slowly with full left/right lock. It usually works, but as I say, it's rather hit and miss, maybe I should look into more failsafe methods.

I did it perfectly just before the test, yet during the test, I rushed it a bit, he then asked me if I was done; I looked outside my window and saw a fair gap between the car and the bay line, but considering I don't know how to recorrect a poor bay park, I just said yes and hoped I was just in.

Ofcourse, he didn't reveal to be I was over the other bay line until AFTER a very stressful, yet successful, drive.

Time to look up when the next avaliable test is..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DurhamChemist
I didn't think I would have to join this thread, but after reading some of the motivating posts I want to...

I have been learning to drive for far too long, I have had SO many lessons, and was glad to have my test on May 1st. It went pretty well EXCEPT for the very end, where I was wary about the tight entrance back into the test centre, and was so focused on it I forgot to signal... that was my only serious.

Today, after a good 10 hours more lessons, I had my second attempt. I was quite confident, and thought that the test would be quite easy, considering my previous performance. Unlike the last test where I was given the easy parallel park, I was told to reverse into a bay in the test centre right at the start. I HATE having to park in a bay when there isn't a car/wall on one side for guidance. I don't know about other people, but considering I'm not the tallest guy in the world, I don't have a great, if any, view of the bay lines when trying to look back through my window/in my side view mirrors when I am straightening up with the bay. I literally treat it as a game of luck, I go with the posistioning method* that my instructor tells me and I hope for the best.

*This 'method' is simply lining up the back door's handle with the adjacent bay's outer bay-line, and then reversing slowly with full left/right lock. It usually works, but as I say, it's rather hit and miss, maybe I should look into more failsafe methods.

I did it perfectly just before the test, yet during the test, I rushed it a bit, he then asked me if I was done; I looked outside my window and saw a fair gap between the car and the bay line, but considering I don't know how to recorrect a poor bay park, I just said yes and hoped I was just in.

Ofcourse, he didn't reveal to be I was over the other bay line until AFTER a very stressful, yet successful, drive.

Time to look up when the next avaliable test is..

Your instructor should of told you how to correct a bay park and you could have asked the examiner if you could do it again he probably would have let you and you would have got a minor.
If i was parking in the left side and i was over the line i would have saw that there was too much space on the left side and went into 1st gear and drove forward and steered to the left and quickly straightened up and then went into reverse gear and went back making sure i was using the wing mirrors to check the lines.
Ask your instructor to do bay parking with you as when you do drive you will be having to drive into a bay at some point when you passed.
Original post by chikane

Ask your instructor to do bay parking with you as when you do drive you will be having to drive into a bay at some point when you passed.

Exactly, you can DRIVE into bays once you've passed, you don't have to REVERSE into them.

I never learnt how to do reverse bay park as my test centre didn't have a car park, so there was no opportunity to do it. Since I've passed I've parked in many car parks, but just driven straight into them (or gone through two spaces so it looks like I've reversed)

I do want to learn how to bay park, and I will, I've just not had a chance to as of yet. I've also really completely forgotten parallel parking so need to go over that again.

I'm not saying its something you shouldn't learn, it's a really useful skill, I'm just saying you don't NEED to know how to do it and you can have a perfectly good driving life without ever knowing how to do it. Just unfortunate if you have a test centre that has a car park.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I failed my test today for accidentally speeding. So annoyed with myself!
Reply 1793
failed my test for the first time today.. 2 minors one major.. on the way back to the test centre, went to go through a toucan crossing.. and they chnged as soon as i went to go trough them.. instinctively , i stopped.. because there was someone waiting at the crossing also. and apparenty thats a fail. should of kept going. pft.
Original post by jessyfantastic90
Feel exactly the same. We both have our next test on the same day.... fingers crossed!

Hopefully we'll both be able to post another reply in this thread with a happier ending! I asked my instructor today and she thinks I can do it. So indeed keeping my fingers crossed!
Reply 1795
Failed today, so disappointed in myself. I thought I was doing well, too. My examiner said I didn't look in the mirror enough, but maybe he couldn't see me do it because of my fringe.

Hair pulled back next time, haha.
(edited 10 years ago)
Failed my driving test for the second time yesterday...

Right at the beginning when leaving the test centre, i didnt look right fast enough. He said he knew that I did look right but it just wasnt fast enough. I must have though as I knew the car approaching from the right was a learner driver that was pulling into the test centre...

Apart from that mistake i didnt get another fault at all... nothing.

My instructor told me that it is down to the examiners discretion and another pupil he had had done the same as me 3 times!!! and passed with them just as minors.

Absolutely baffled....?
Original post by lr02012013
Failed my driving test for the second time yesterday...

Right at the beginning when leaving the test centre, i didnt look right fast enough. He said he knew that I did look right but it just wasnt fast enough. I must have though as I knew the car approaching from the right was a learner driver that was pulling into the test centre...

Apart from that mistake i didnt get another fault at all... nothing.

My instructor told me that it is down to the examiners discretion and another pupil he had had done the same as me 3 times!!! and passed with them just as minors.

Absolutely baffled....?

Wow that's ridiculous. Sorry to hear that.
I failed for the first time yesterday- 3 minors and 1 major. The major was for drifting to the left at a roundabout and not checking properly.It also probably didn't help that I went the wrong way twice and ended up getting us stuck in traffic for about 10 mins :colondollar: I've rebooked my test though so I'm just going to make sure I go over that roundabout with my instructor. :smile:
Original post by feyy
Failed today, so disappointed in myself. I thought I was doing well, too. My examiner said I didn't look in the mirror enough, but maybe he couldn't see me do it because of my fringe.

Hair pulled back next time, haha.

The trick is to look with your head, not your eyes. Your fringe shouldn't have mattered! Pretend you're some kind of robot and make everything super-exaggerated. It might look odd, but it will make sure the examiner knows exactly what you're doing.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending