The Student Room Group

Hindered my chances completely?

Hey all

This is something that has been bugging me for a while. I am a Year 12 student who is currently studying Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics. Now in GCSE's, I got 10A*'s and 2A's, which I was pretty pleased with. However with my January AS modules, I got 2 A's, a B and C, which was a really big wakeup call for me, because, well I have never really experienced getting grades like this before. It has always been my dream to study at Oxbridge, but I am the first person in my family to ever go to college, let alone apply for a university!

To be perfectly honest, my B was in Maths, which I am probably best at, but I had a REALLY bad migraine on the day (I know, excuses, excuses) but I do suffer from insanely bad headaches, and my C was in Physics, which is well, a shambles in my college tbh. My class is currently with it's 4th teacher, 3 of the previous ones have been a waste of time and any learning that could be done is delayed by a few idiots who sit on the front row, who make it impossible for anything to even be delivered to the class. Was really gutted about my C, but I am resitting Maths and Physics in a few weeks and definitely hoping to get my grades up.

To anyone over here who knows what I'm on about, is it still worth applying? If it makes any difference I did get 97% in my Chemistry and 91% in my Biology but Maths and Physics let me down (the last Mock exam before our Maths exam I got 72/72 100% :frown: ) so I'm unsure as to what to do. My predicted Grades for this year are all A's and my personal goal is to come out of next year with 3 A*'s and an A. My Physics teacher said don't bother with it (I don't think he likes me) but my Biology and Chemistry teacher have told me to definitely be an early applicant. Should I even bother applying, even with my re-sits? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the taking the time out to read this. Cheers.
Reply 1
Have a go, you have nothing to lose. If you don't apply you can't get in.
I would say re-evaluate when you have your new grades: if you've made a big change and got really good marks it will be clear that the first two were flukes, and the official line from admissions tutors (whom I have seen physically say this) is that they more-or-less expect one or two slip-ups. Obviously if there isnt that big a change, it might be more of a problem.

For Cambridge, you have to fill in a form called the SAQ where you declare the UMS of every module you've ever taken, whereas for Oxford there's nothing like this, so its possible that if you get A's in your retakes Oxford would never even know you had lower grades (I think anyway, unless you have to enter both grades for retakes on UCAS now? You didn't have to when I applied). Might be worth considering. Good luck!
Have a go - a lot of Schools don't even do Jan exams, so you're in a better position than those who currently hold no grades. By the time you apply, you would have retaken the Jan ones and hopefully have better results.
Reply 4
which course?
Original post by Pride
which course?

This. It really depends on what course you're applying for. If it helps I knew a languages candidate who got an interview in December with AS results of AABB, but it's worth remembering that modern languages aren't the most popular courses=/
Reply 6
I am hoping to do a Chemistry or Physics degree. I know this sounds very arrogant but I SHOULD come out with all A's at the end of the year, there is no question about that. I've been busting a gut getting all my revision done and been breezing through past papers.

Although I did get a C in Physics, it was incredibly frustrating. I had been getting A's in all Mocks and Past Papers, but I had a horrible day in the exam, not to mention bloody Critical Thinking exam before it.

Another question I have, although slightly irrelevant, is that if I wish to take up Physics at Oxford, is it NECESSARY for me to do Further Maths? If I was to drop something in Year 13 it would definitely be Biology, however I'd probably get an A* in Biology at the end of Year 13. So what would look more impressive to Oxford? An A* in Biology which is pretty much irrelevant to Physics or an A in Further Maths which is relevant to Physics and generally considered a harder A-Level? I'm not too sure.

I am pretty much dead-set on applying now, I hope I have a decent chance of getting in. Just depends on these Summer results, hoping to come out with all A's with 90%+ in most of them, it's what I'm used to and the B and C I got was a real wake up call in the January exams! Thanks to all who replied as well! :smile:
Reply 7
Apply. I applied to Cambridge this year with 3 As and 2 Bs at AS....and I got an offer. Seriously, if you never give it a try, you'll regret it.

Btw, I hate teachers that don't encourage bright students to apply to Oxbridge. People argue that they're elitist but then won't direct state school students in the direction of Oxbridge....it just doesn't make sense! Sorry, that was completely unrelated.
Reply 8
No, I understand. The Physics teacher has been a prick to me ever since I told him the past 2 teachers we had taught us jack all. He's the Head of Physics, I don't have him personally but do Revision classes with him. Seriously, I might as well not have anyone teaching me at all. Not to mention the idiots in our class who are a constant disruption and distraction to the teacher. That being said, I have ordered an AQA Physics textbook and will probably teach the syllabus to myself :frown:

Also, congratulations on your offer! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Maxima
No, I understand. The Physics teacher has been a prick to me ever since I told him the past 2 teachers we had taught us jack all. He's the Head of Physics, I don't have him personally but do Revision classes with him. Seriously, I might as well not have anyone teaching me at all. Not to mention the idiots in our class who are a constant disruption and distraction to the teacher. That being said, I have ordered an AQA Physics textbook and will probably teach the syllabus to myself :frown:

Also, congratulations on your offer! :smile:

but I don't think you understand. Chemistry and Physics are both highly competitive courses at Oxbridge, you probably won't stand a chance against the competition if you don't come out with As after your exams next month. Simple as that I'm afraid. Work hard. And that's for all the best unis for those subjects, imperial, ucl etc.

And you will need further maths for physics if it does say so on the prospectus, that's because of how mathematical the subject is. They'll probably want at least maths for chemistry too.
Original post by milienhaus
I would say re-evaluate when you have your new grades: if you've made a big change and got really good marks it will be clear that the first two were flukes, and the official line from admissions tutors (whom I have seen physically say this) is that they more-or-less expect one or two slip-ups. Obviously if there isnt that big a change, it might be more of a problem.

For Cambridge, you have to fill in a form called the SAQ where you declare the UMS of every module you've ever taken, whereas for Oxford there's nothing like this, so its possible that if you get A's in your retakes Oxford would never even know you had lower grades (I think anyway, unless you have to enter both grades for retakes on UCAS now? You didn't have to when I applied). Might be worth considering. Good luck!

Oxford do now see all your module grades (if you've resat, the worse one isn't included of course).
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Oxford do now see all your module grades (if you've resat, the worse one isn't included of course).

Not UMS though, right? So for Oxford an A is an A (more or less) whereas Cambridge can see how high/low they are, and judge you accordingly.

Edit: Also my point still stands, Cambridge see that you've retaken on the SAQ and Oxford don't.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Pride
but I don't think you understand. Chemistry and Physics are both highly competitive courses at Oxbridge, you probably won't stand a chance against the competition if you don't come out with As after your exams next month. Simple as that I'm afraid. Work hard. And that's for all the best unis for those subjects, imperial, ucl etc.

And you will need further maths for physics if it does say so on the prospectus, that's because of how mathematical the subject is. They'll probably want at least maths for chemistry too.

I guess I should have posted in this thread that assuming that I come out with all A's in Summer, would the resits affect my chance at all, and after doing a lot of researching it seems for Oxford, no however for Cambridge it would, which I'm not thinking of applying to.

I can assure you the B and C were complete flukes, I've never achieved grades like this before and it was kinda a big shock, but I've taken it on the chin and bunked up my studying. Definitely gonna make sure I'm in the best position to come out with all A's, over 90% after Summer. Thanks for all the advice people, much appreciated.
Put it this way, you will be easily get a place at Oxford if you do barely enough to get those 'A's, self-study the M2/M3 maths content over summer, practice interview-type questions, do some BPhO papers and smash the PAT with a score of 85-95...

In my opinion, that's doable if you have a good work ethic and a genuine interest in maths/physics. If you don't, maybe the independent studying and workload at Oxford would be too much to handle. Didnt mean to sound intimidating or arrogant but now is the time to realise that there's a huge ability gap between average Oxbridge applicants and successful ones. Physics interviews at Oxford are notoriously outside-the-box!
Reply 14
Original post by Brutal Chav
Put it this way, you will be easily get a place at Oxford if you do barely enough to get those 'A's, self-study the M2/M3 maths content over summer, practice interview-type questions, do some BPhO papers and smash the PAT with a score of 85-95...

In my opinion, that's doable if you have a good work ethic and a genuine interest in maths/physics. If you don't, maybe the independent studying and workload at Oxford would be too much to handle. Didnt mean to sound intimidating or arrogant but now is the time to realise that there's a huge ability gap between average Oxbridge applicants and successful ones. Physics interviews at Oxford are notoriously outside-the-box!

I can imagine! I do have a pretty good work ethic, especially when it comes down to it and once I put my head down and get cracking, there's no problem.

Don't worry, you don't sound arrogant or intimidating, I'd much rather have the truth rather than something sugar-coated designed to make me feel better :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending