The Student Room Group

Suggestions for pens in exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveheartsandall
Aah I swear by fountain pens! It keeps my writing neat and you don't have to exert much pressure (on most types of paper) :smile:

SNAP
Im really fussy with my pens in the exam, they have to be gel so i can write fast and at the same time not be to heavy
thankfully Asda 3 for a £1 covers all these credentials :tongue:
Reply 22
Good Lord you can find anything on this website

Although I tend to find that a rubbery pen prevents my hands from slipping as the exertion from writing and nervousness of the exams tends to render my hands rather sweaty
Reply 23
Original post by fairysdad
Berol Handwriting pens.

Admittedly they are aimed towards six-year-olds who are learning to write, but they are really good pens :smile:

Oh yes! Thanks for reminding me :smile: Yr6 sats - wrote tons of pages without hand even slightly fatiguing thanks to these.
I favour the pens that are used in banks and Argos. Next time you're in just grab a few.

But really, I have never put very much thought in to the pens I use. I only use them for exams and every now and then for rough work. I write better in pencil and I like being able to erase things, not like with a pen where you have to make ugly scribbles to get rid of text.
Reply 25
A working one.
Reply 27
A fountain pen with decent quick drying ink (I use Waterman Black from a bottle), and it's really comfy to write. No need to grip hard, very light too
I always use these ones:

They are entirely covered by a rubber grip and not too thick.

Edit: Oh, after posting I just realized that this is the same pen that was recommended in this post :smile:

Original post by MartinKellyisagod
(edited 11 years ago)
11960975.jpg

These bad boys. Also they're cheap as frig. I use to have problems in essay exams with bad hand sprains but with these pens I have little to no problem.
Original post by TenOfThem
SNAP

You're the first maths teacher I've seen who likes fountain pens. One of my teachers looked quite bemused when I got mine out, even more so when she realised its ink was purple. My head of maths chews all pens, so a fountain pen would be lost on him. They all seem to prefer the standard red rollerball/ballpoint (apart from the HoD, who just grabs whatever's nearest).

Obviously, in exams you've got to use black ink, and I'm really anal about having loads of pens in case one runs out, so I pop to WH Smith just before the exams to get a big pack of black own branded biros. Where exams are concerned, I go for quantity over quality.

Otherwise, I use a Parker Jotter and 3 different fountain pens (one turquoise, one purple, one pink). My A-level notes are all colour-coded - black handwriting pen for titles and important equations, black biro for explanations, blue handwriting pens for example questions and blue pens for answers. The purple fountain pen sometimes gets used for proofs.
Original post by Contrad!ction.
You're the first maths teacher I've seen who likes fountain pens.

When I was at school (sooooooo many years ago) my handwriting was awful

A teacher told my Mum that my mind worked faster than I could write and my hand was trying to keep up ... a fountain pen would slow me down ... it did ... neater handwriting ... :smile::smile:

Rough working = pencil
All else = fountain pen

my writing on the board is still awful :frown:
Original post by TenOfThem
When I was at school (sooooooo many years ago) my handwriting was awful

A teacher told my Mum that my mind worked faster than I could write and my hand was trying to keep up ... a fountain pen would slow me down ... it did ... neater handwriting ... :smile::smile:

Rough working = pencil
All else = fountain pen

my writing on the board is still awful :frown:

My fountain pen hasn't improved my writing at all, if anything it's made it worse because it smudges too!

I hate writing in pencil, it's hard enough drawing graphs in pencil. Rough working = ripped out page, still in pen

My board writing's atrocious too. I have a whiteboard at home that I use as a noticeboard, but it takes a bit of getting used to. I want to teach, so my physics teacher makes me write loads of stuff on the board and then criticises its legibility :laugh:
zebra z grip pens have a rubber grip and are biro
Original post by username567022
Berol Handwriting pens.

Admittedly they are aimed towards six-year-olds who are learning to write, but they are really good pens :smile:

Are you allowed to use them did you ?

Quick Reply

Latest