The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Hi can anyone help me on question 7 from the January '07 paper? It involved a vector by another vector and I just can't get my head around it :frown:. Its only one mark so I'm sure it must be something really simple and stupid that I've missed. Thanks.
Reply 981
Are the solomon papers meant to be harder or easier than the actual past papers for c4?
Original post by Arva
Oh god I'm crap at differential equations... Trying to go through all the ones in the textbook but when I get one wrong there's no worked solution so all I can do is try it again. I think I'm going to start doing papers instead now.

I'm terrible at the water going into a cylinder questions :s-smilie: I can't understand them, other than that and a tricky vector question I'm fine :smile:
Reply 983
Original post by Brainiac
Are the solomon papers meant to be harder or easier than the actual past papers for c4?

i thought they where a bit easier than the edxcel papers i dunno why tho ?/
:confused:
what would you do if both ln are -
if one is negative you divide, if positive you multiply. So what do you do if both are negative?
Reply 985
Original post by Belton42
Hi can anyone help me on question 7 from the January '07 paper? It involved a vector by another vector and I just can't get my head around it :frown:. Its only one mark so I'm sure it must be something really simple and stupid that I've missed. Thanks.

all u have to do is add the vector too get vector c ...jst add it
Reply 986
Original post by avipsita
i thought they where a bit easier than the edxcel papers i dunno why tho ?/
:confused:

I thought that too, but i have read other people saying they find them harder...
Reply 987
Original post by Jack_Smith
what would you do if both ln are -
if one is negative you divide, if positive you multiply. So what do you do if both are negative?

lna=ln1a[br][br]ln(a)ln(b)=ln1a×b-\ln a = \ln \dfrac{1}{a}[br][br]\therefore -\ln (a) - \ln (b) = \ln \dfrac{1}{a \times b}
Reply 988
Does anyone think they could help me interpreting a mark scheme?
I have the correct answer, but I'm a bit confused with something they've done.

I used the formula for a parallelogram:

area=base×height[br]43×sin(71)×14 area=base \times height[br]\sqrt 43 \times sin(71) \times \sqrt 14

Why does the mark scheme divide and multiply by 2?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Wilko94
Does anyone think they could help me interpreting a mark scheme?
I have the correct answer, but I'm a bit confused with something they've done.

I used the formula for a parallelogram:

area=base×height[br]43×sin(71)×14 area=base \times height[br]\sqrt 43 \times sin(71) \times \sqrt 14

Why does the mark scheme divide and multiply by 2?

In the markscheme, the areas of two triangles(ABD and ACD) are found. These two are then added to give the total area of the parallelogram. But your way is OK too.
Original post by Arva
Oh god I'm crap at differential equations... Trying to go through all the ones in the textbook but when I get one wrong there's no worked solution so all I can do is try it again. I think I'm going to start doing papers instead now.

Don't you have the solution bank?
Reply 991
Why do we always use position vector of the line to find scalar product? Why cant we use two points on it?
Original post by soempty
Why do we always use position vector of the line to find scalar product? Why cant we use two points on it?

Do you mean direction vector or position vector?
Reply 993
Original post by soempty

we don't? we use the direction vector, which is basically the same thing as two points on it
Reply 994
Hey guys, which past paper do you think is the hardest?
I'm doing January 2007 Question 2(b), I'm fine with working out that 3/(0.75) is 4, but I don't understand why you do 4^3 when timesing it by the earlier volume? I would only have thought to multiply it by 4. Here's the question/mark scheme, hope my problem isn't too muddled:

wk43tu.jpg

2ev3iwz.jpg
Original post by soempty

Original post by exe
we don't? we use the direction vector, which is basically the same thing as two points on it

When we write the equation of a straight line, we write it as y=mx+c y = mx + c where m m is the gradient.

In the vector case, the direction vector is like the gradient.
5 ln 4/5+ 2 ln 5/4
= 3 ln 4/5
= ln 64/125

how do you get 3ln 4/5?
Original post by emmaaa88
I'm doing January 2007 Question 2(b), I'm fine with working out that 3/(0.75) is 4, but I don't understand why you do 4^3 when timesing it by the earlier volume? I would only have thought to multiply it by 4. Here's the question/mark scheme, hope my problem isn't too muddled:

wk43tu.jpg

2ev3iwz.jpg

Because volume is the length cubed, the volume scale factor must also be the length scale factor cubed.
Original post by Jack_Smith
5 ln 4/5+ 2 ln 5/4
= 3 ln 4/5
= ln 64/125

how do you get 3ln 4/5?

2 ln 5/4 is the same as -2 ln 4/5.

So you have:

5 ln 4/5 - 2 ln 4/5 = 3 ln 4/5.

Latest

Trending

Trending