The Student Room Group

Can I get an offer with predicted A's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by l2ob
i want to know if they prioritise your AS results or your A2 predictions when applying for medicine. :smile: forgive me for being unclear lol

It's different for different universities, their admissions procedure will probably make it clearer. I got an offer from King's with AAAB, but I applied there knowing they look at GCSE's/UKCAT and mine were reasonably good.
Original post by My-My-My
So they don't apply to Birmingham? There are many other universities that will consider an applicant with A predictions and not As at AS level.

I'm just being realistic in saying that your chances are compromised if you get BBBB or below when so many people get A's these days. It is possible, but you'd then have to apply to places selecting on GCSE's/UKCAT/BMAT and therefore do very well in these.
My best friend got BBCD at AS (mixed English, bio, chem Maths) but still got two offers for medicine although I know plenty of people who got AAAA at AS and four rejections. But by getting AAAA you are putting yourself in a better position. Her offers are from st. George's and uea btw. Good luck :smile:
Original post by joker12345
Birmingham straight rejected anyone with less than 4 A's at AS this year, despite A* predictions or anything like that. Yes, many people will resit and do better, but with the immense competition at medical schools they have to reject someone! Not to say it's impossible - you'll just have to make up for it in the UKCAT/at interview.

As far as I know, Birmingham is one of a few universities which do this. From what I can remember from the research I did, a lot of universities had a policy whereby they didn't look too much at AS grades and put a lot of emphasis on predicted grades, which is only fair as only state school candidates have to declare grades and it is only fair that unis don't put emphasis on an area that only a proportion of all candidates have to declare.
Based on what evidence? Universities aren't stupid, predicted grades alone gives them no evidence as to how a BBBB student is going to get AAA. Why wouldn't they choose all the AAAA students out there?

And even with AAAA and predicted A*A*A*A*, you still need some amazing personal statement, decent gcses and lots of experience.

Mainly personal statement though.
Reply 25
Original post by l2ob
what uni did you get the offer at? and what did you get in your UKCAT?

I thought that they didn't look at AS grades at all until my head of sixth form told us that uni's are now prioritising your AS grades, not your predicted grades, when considering your application :angry:

I got my offer at manchester and i also had an interview at st andrews, either your head of sixth form is wrong/exaggerating or its changed this year! My ukcat was 655
Reply 26
Original post by l2ob
So I want to do medicine and of course i need 3 A's,

Apparently you now need A's at A level as uni's look at these rather than your predicted grades,
Is this true or can I get an offer with predicted A's, and B's at AS level?

Thanks.

It is very true you can get an offer!

I got aaabb at AS (the Bs being in biology and chemistry no less!) but got predicted AAAA (dropping 5th subject) and managed to get 2 offers.

As I'm sure you'll find out, AS grades and A2 predictions are just a couple of 'ingredients' you need in order to get a place somewhere (the others being UKCAT score, work experience etc.).

I wouldn't let it worry you, just make sure you get the A2 grades! :smile:
I initially got ABBB last year, have since boosted it up to AAAB now after January exams and I have an offer :smile: so not all is lost!
Reply 28
thanks everyone, it was my head of sixth form who told us that they don't look at predicted grades, they look at AS,

But I have a feeling she's just scaring us into revision :mad:

Reply 29
Original post by tania<3
I initially got ABBB last year, have since boosted it up to AAAB now after January exams and I have an offer :smile: so not all is lost!

What did you get in your UKCAT and which Uni gave you an offer? thanks
Birmingham straight rejected anyone with less than 4 A's at AS this year, despite A* predictions or anything like that. Yes, many people will resit and do better, but with the immense competition at medical schools they have to reject someone! Not to say it's impossible - you'll just have to make up for it in the UKCAT/at interview.

Birmingham are known for a strange attitude towards exam results
Original post by l2ob
What did you get in your UKCAT and which Uni gave you an offer? thanks

I got 660 average, so nothing too bad, but nothing too awesome either :P I got my AAA offer from St George's :smile: I had an interview at Bart's but because it was straight after exams I didn't prep much for it, so I didn't do too well. That and I already had SGUL so didn't feel like I needed to do too well so just got lazy :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending