The Student Room Group

should i take environmental science at university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 21
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG
Haha, no problem :tongue: I've actually started my Bsci at Nottingham doing environmental science now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you have to go to an interview ?
Original post by hazel43
did you have to go to an interview ?

Not for nottingham, i had an informal one at Southampton :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23

Are many of the modules taught in Sutton Bonnington? or are the majority at university park? :smile: Just makes it easier to work out travel and accomodation possibilities.
Original post by J Dizzle
Are many of the modules taught in Sutton Bonnington? or are the majority at university park? :smile: Just makes it easier to work out travel and accomodation possibilities.

I only have lectures on sutton-bonington on monday, and they are all done by midday; everything else is on University Park. There are free hopper buses between campuses :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I only have lectures on sutton-bonington on monday, and they are all done by midday; everything else is on University Park. There are free hopper buses between campuses :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok :smile:! Thank you! :biggrin:
Its not really a hard subject
but heey if you enjoy it, do it
Reply 27
Not for nottingham, i had an informal one at Southampton :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg, i have one of these for southampton. I'm kinda nervous. The thing is the email said it was a visit day including a one to one discussion so i'm taking this as an interview. Do you remember what you did and the questions you were asked
Original post by hazel43
omg, i have one of these for southampton. I'm kinda nervous. The thing is the email said it was a visit day including a one to one discussion so i'm taking this as an interview. Do you remember what you did and the questions you were asked

Dont worry haha, i was nervous last year, but the whole day is designed to convince YOU to choose THEM. They just talked a bit to me about why i wanted to choose this course and my personal statement; i talked a bit about abiotic and biotic factors affecting organisms in my personal statement and we talked about that for like 2 minutes, but most of the time she was asking me whether i had any questions about the uni haha. If you've got invited to the day, i say youre pretty much going to get an offer if you attend and dont do anything stupid :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by hazel43

Well done for getting an interview, i'm currently in first year doing Enviro at Southampton and loving it. Ps3SuperSRG was right about the visit day, it's mostly just to clear things up about your personal statement (if you made up anything they will find out!!) and to see if you have any other questions. If you want to know anything about the course/uni etc just ask :smile:
Reply 30
Dont worry haha, i was nervous last year, but the whole day is designed to convince YOU to choose THEM. They just talked a bit to me about why i wanted to choose this course and my personal statement; i talked a bit about abiotic and biotic factors affecting organisms in my personal statement and we talked about that for like 2 minutes, but most of the time she was asking me whether i had any questions about the uni haha. If you've got invited to the day, i say youre pretty much going to get an offer if you attend and dont do anything stupid :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still quite nervous lol, its on Saturday. How long was the interview and what did you wear?, my friends told me to go formal but im not too sure if i should. Thank you!
Reply 31
Original post by Masherzify
Well done for getting an interview, i'm currently in first year doing Enviro at Southampton and loving it. Ps3SuperSRG was right about the visit day, it's mostly just to clear things up about your personal statement (if you made up anything they will find out!!) and to see if you have any other questions. If you want to know anything about the course/uni etc just ask :smile:

Do you remember what your interview was like last year?, also i've so many questions i'm struggling to think of any i should bring up at the visit day/interview lol, any advice?
Thank you!
Reply 32
Original post by hazel43
Do you remember what your interview was like last year?, also i've so many questions i'm struggling to think of any i should bring up at the visit day/interview lol, any advice?
Thank you!

Don't panic about it, it's more of an informal chat than an interview. I think they just want to see passion for the subject. What sort of questions?? Also I would dress smart but not over the top, I don't think they really care. Good luck
Original post by hazel43
I'm still quite nervous lol, its on Saturday. How long was the interview and what did you wear?, my friends told me to go formal but im not too sure if i should. Thank you!

Interview was 10 mins tops, i wore relatively formal, but a lot of people went casual. I'd say just dont wear too casual, but dont go over the top with smart clothes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Masherzify

I must say i loved Soton's visit day, it was definetley the best visit day i went to. I was so torn between Notts and Soton, but Nott's campus did it for me. Loving Notts, hope your enjoying southampton, i must say though that i envy you that youre by the coast and in a big city :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I'm currently in Year 11 picking my IB subjects, and I was just wondering how much Maths is involved in an Environmental Science degree? It's not that I hate maths, and I'm OK at it, but I'm not good when somethings gone over quickly or I don't have time to work things out. So I was just wondering how much maths is involved and would it be OK to apply without an equivalent to AS Maths? Thanks for any answers :smile:
Original post by GiveMeAChallenge
Whats the difference between environmental geography, env science and a BSc geography degree?

All Universities call similar courses different names, and most general Geog degrees have elements of Env Sci/Studies within them amongst all the other optional courses choices. Other 'geog-type' courses include International Development or Development Studies.

The best thing to do is to read the course descriptions of the individual courses on the Uni's own website (often you can see the detailed module/unit/options course descriptions as well if you dig about a bit).

This, and going to Open Days/visits etc is really the only way to decide if any course is the right one for *you* and your own interests - regardless of what it is actually called.
I'm currently in Year 11 picking my IB subjects, and I was just wondering how much Maths is involved in an Environmental Science degree? It's not that I hate maths, and I'm OK at it, but I'm not good when somethings gone over quickly or I don't have time to work things out. So I was just wondering how much maths is involved and would it be OK to apply without an equivalent to AS Maths? Thanks for any answers :smile:

I am in my first year doing a Bsci on Environmental science. There is some maths involved but not too much, there are many people who are in my class who didnt do As maths and are not struggling. It does help if you did do A level maths but because most of the maths is at a basic level, you will be able to learn the maths involved quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I'm in my second year of environmental science at Hull and I'm really enjoying it! I was a bit uncertain whether to choose geography or environmental science, but glad I chose the latter. There is the option to take more geography based modules and I only have to do one chemistry module per year at the moment.
I think environmental science has better career prospects than geography, purely because it allows you access to a career in research, and it's a growing industry.
Reply 39
Original post by jwf13

On my course, it's mainly statistics, which is a bit of a pain, but not too tricky.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending