The Student Room Group

M2 May 2012 Edexcel - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Do you have to put that e is less than or equal to one to get all the marks, or is it OK to just put that e is greater than 1/6?
Reply 21
Went in like Napoleon...and crumbled like the Roman Empire
Reply 22
Original post by und
Do you have to put that e is less than or equal to one to get all the marks, or is it OK to just put that e is greater than 1/6?

nah
Reply 23
3(b) asked for the magnitude and direction of the vertical component of the force acting at A, so surely it's just 40.1N in an upwards direction?
Reply 24
I'll be so lucky to get a C on that. Wow. These answers all look so unfamiliar. :frown:

I need 100 UMS in FP1 tomorrow without fail.
Reply 25
Work out the magnitude and direction of the vertical? What was that about?
Would 1/6<e<1 be acceptable, or does it have to be 1/6<e≤1?
How can the vertical reaction act in a direction other than vertically upwards or down?
Reply 28
the really daft thing is that now grades are going to be decided by luck as to what paper was sat when...

People who did M2 in Jan and then D2/S2 in June should count themselves very, very lucky

M2 in Jan was a joke compared to this paper
Original post by suls
it's funny because if M2 was a weird paper, WHO EVEN KNOWS WHAT FP2/FP3 WILL BE LIKE? loving life

Reply 30
Original post by und
3(b) asked for the magnitude and direction of the vertical component of the force acting at A, so surely it's just 40.1N in an upwards direction?

agree - I put this.
Reply 31
Original post by brittanna
How can the vertical reaction act in a direction other than vertically upwards or down?

hence my comment about the wording, it means in a vertical plane; rather than sideways (into or out of the paper, z-axis)
Reply 32
Original post by snow leopard
Would 1/6<e<1 be acceptable, or does it have to be 1/6<e≤1?

as long as you have > 1/6 that is all that matters
I'm glad you think 63 will get me 90... I think I got around 60-65, probs around the 63 mark (due to misreading 5 and 7c was gay)

Did better in S2 - so hopefully on an average of 90 anyway :biggrin:

Gratitude again Arsey
Reply 34
Original post by suls
it's funny because if M2 was a weird paper, WHO EVEN KNOWS WHAT FP2/FP3 WILL BE LIKE? loving life

looks like i'm in for a great birthday then...
Original post by Arsey
M2 May 2012

Overall I thought this was a very hard paper. Jan 2012 was a joke, so they really made up for it with this one.

Q1 Linear kinematics

Fairly easy C2 = 0 was a bit odd

Q2 Collisions

Slighly trickier than normal I would say

Q3 Moments

Significantly harder than normal, it was strange that it was just pivoted in mid-air. Aslo the wording off part b) may cause problems

Q4 COM

a) was okay but b) will be a MASSIVE bloodbath; I can not see many people getting it correct.

Q5 Impulse

Very strange question, this again will cause a lot of problems

Q6 WEP

a) and b) are fine but I think c) will cause a lot of problems

Q7 Projectiles

a) and b) should be okay but I think c) is very tricky

Last few June boundaries were 68, 61, 62, 64, 58 for 80ums

This was a hard paper and I think the boundaries will reflect that, so I will guess at

100ums - 70
90ums - 63
80ums - 56
70ums - 49
60ums - 42
50ums - 35
40ums - 28

This thread will be locked at somepoint and then unlocked at midnight following the Mechanics 2 examination. I will upload the paper and my solutions to this post.

I will do my best to answer questions about the paper but please try to read the thread first so that I am not answering the same questions lots of times.Here are some links to previous M2 threads, they are worth a read and you will see what the common errors were...

Jan 2012 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1906907

June 2011 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1618497

The second link has loads of past papers, mark schemes, model solutions etc
Good luck.

Arsey YOUR A LEGEND.
For the impulse question instead of due north I put upwards and showed the direction will I get the marks:s
4b!! How did I get 7, not six!!!!!!!
why for 4b can you not take moments about S? am i being stupid here?
3b ? surely the vertical component of the force acting at A is just the bit you called Y, and you had to work out its magnitude and whether it was up or down? Because horizontal and vertical have no effect on each other ?
Reply 39
Original post by brittanna

thinking about it you could very well be right; I discounted that as being too easy and the direction part...

but I suppose the direction part could simply be referring to upwards or downwards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending