The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA4 (11/06/12) - Exam thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by justravi
What are the values you're getting from each equation?
I got 1.866...x10^-36 for the gravitational force between two masses and 2.3019 for the electrostatic force between them which gives me 1.2336x10^36.

I keep getting something x 10^-9!....please could you tell me the numbers you have used in each equation?
Reply 381
Original post by FrightBright
Q.5

w=v/r

Guessing you forgot to half the diameter.

Q.15
2/r^ = 8/(60-r^2) Use ratios but make sure you square the distance.
Square root...

Therefore root 2 /r^2 = 2root2/ (60-r^2)
(root2)(120) - (root2)r^2 = 2(root)2r^2

Rearrange u get r =40mm

Q.16

E is NC^-1 AND Vm^-1

Force x distance = Work done = Nm
therefore Force = work done /distance = Jm^-1

Therefore Jm^-1C^-1 can be used..

1/It =1/Q therefore C^-1 = A^-1s^-1

Sub in therefore JA^-1C^-1m^-1 can be used

C just subs the Newtons back in for Jm^-1

Therefore the answer is D.

Thank you so much!
Q5 I did forget to convert it to radius, and I also didn't convert it into ms-1
Original post by Anonymous1994
For the 6 marker, definitely not anything to do with electricity or the magnetism stuff. I reckon it will be conservation of momentum or some gravity stuff

I reckon it'll be on resonance :holmes: :dice:
Can someone explain to me the theory behind capacitor charging and discharging? For charging, why does the charge and voltage go up but the current goes down? Thanks :smile:
Reply 384
Original post by gukl
My mark scheme for that paper says B haha.. :confused:

ffs, was reading wrong ms
Original post by don'tTRIP.
I reckon it'll be on resonance :holmes: :dice:

what do you think the main points to include are:

natural freq=driving freq

maximum energy exchange

90 degrees out of phase

maximum amplitude

anything else? im not too confident on resonance :s-smilie:
Original post by number23
what do you think the main points to include are:

natural freq=driving freq

maximum energy exchange

90 degrees out of phase

maximum amplitude

anything else? im not too confident on resonance :s-smilie:

That's about it tbh.

I've seen a 6 marker asked on older papers where you're asked to describe what happens to a mass on a spring at 3 different frequencies. You just have to refer to the amplitudes, phase differences and size of the oscillation.

Electric field goes in the direction a positive test charge will follow, so a negative electron will go in the opposite direction to the electric field.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA4-2-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

For question 4c, I don't think you need to know this but would the beam of electrons just be deflected up or would they start to move in a circular path upwards?
Do particles take a parabolic path in electric fields? If so why?
Original post by Benniboi1

For question 4c, I don't think you need to know this but would the beam of electrons just be deflected up or would they start to move in a circular path upwards?

circular path, the magnetic force experienced on the electron acts centripetally as it's always 90 degrees to the direction of the path of the electron, (as well as 90 degrees to the direction of the field)
Original post by number23
Do particles take a parabolic path in electric fields? If so why?

yes, because the electrons experience a force which is contiunously in one direction, so they will curve off and exit the other side and continue in a straight path
Original post by Benniboi1

Yeh you dont need to know this.

I dont think so because the force is not perpendicular to velocity ( it is for the magneti c field) but not the electric field.
Original post by callmenighthawk
yes, because the electrons experience a force which is contiunously in one direction, so they will curve off and exit the other side and continue in a straight path

so say if the electric field was upwards... the positive particle would curve upwards, then when it leaves the field will it travel vertically upwards?
Just wanna take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone who has contributed and helped out on this thread; you guys are actually awesome.

Hope we all do well tomorrow! :bhangra:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 396
Original post by BEB21
I keep getting something x 10^-9!....please could you tell me the numbers you have used in each equation?

For the gravitational force:

( (6.67x10^-11)(1.673x10^-27)^2 ) / (1x10^-14)^2 = 1.866x10^-36

For the electrostatic force:

(1.6x10^-19)^2 / ( 4pi(8.85x10^12)(1x10^-14)^2 ) = 2.302

2.302 / 1.866x10^-36 = 1.234x10^36
can someone tell me if this is correct:
flux linkage=bancostheta so when theta=0 there is maximum flux linkage
this is because the coil cuts the most field lines

thanks
Reply 398
Original post by justravi
For the gravitational force:

( (6.67x10^-11)(1.673x10^-27)^2 ) / (1x10^-14)^2 = 1.866x10^-36

For the electrostatic force:

(1.6x10^-19)^2 / ( 4pi(8.85x10^12)(1x10^-14)^2 ) = 2.302

2.302 / 1.866x10^-36 = 1.234x10^36

Thank you very much, I was just being an idiot and doing 2x1.673x10^-27 instead of squaring...I'm going to put it down to pre exam nerves! :smile:
Original post by callmenighthawk
circular path, the magnetic force experienced on the electron acts centripetally as it's always 90 degrees to the direction of the path of the electron, (as well as 90 degrees to the direction of the field)

In the question the magnetic field and electric field are balanced so the ion goes in a straight path, they then increase the magnetic field, so the net resultant force is up, so it would accelerate up, but then the magnetic force stays at 90 degrees to it so the magnetic force would be tilted slightly to the left, however then the component of the magnetic force that is vertically upwards wouldnt be greater than that of the electric force downw...

Ok I've just convinced myself that you're right, nevermind :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending