The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA5 (18/06/12) - Exam thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reminisce
Guys, for Astro, the second predominant absorption line for the B star is Helium right?

Yes :smile:
Reply 1181
Has someone got a copy of the paper?
Reply 1182
for the 2.6 x 10^9 one u could also check to see if it was right using the graph u plotted which was quite nice, also anyone else get 15s, and 3.68x10^-3 for the ratio thing, anyone doin medical get 109 or 106dB ?cant remember which one :smile:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!! 5c what the heck man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why are the physics exams this year so haaard!!!!!!!

:'(
Original post by robthefool
The last question for astrophysics - quasars are very bright?
the distance was about 270MPc or something - needed to remember to covert to kms^-1
for the first paper, the 2nd part of the thermal heater I got 15 seconds
which star is closer? bellatrix
What class is it in? B
why are there no hydrogen balmer lines in the other star? it's cooler, so in lower spectrum, not hot enough for electrons in shell n=2
telescope 6 marker - I talked about uv telescope - have to be in space, atmosphere ozone absorbs uv. Radio can be on ground, atmosphere doesn't distort radio waves, big collection dish because radio waves have long wavelenth. Gamma ray telescopes small because gamma rays have small wavelength, in space because gamma rays are absorbed by earth atmosphere

Anyone want to tell me if that is correct?

I put quasars are powerful radio sources.
I got betelgeuse as closer
The rest the same, but I did radio, IR and visible light for the telescope question.
Reply 1185
Original post by jlnbello
did you get kinetic enrgy as p.d multiplied by electron charge then for wavelength just use E=hc/lambda?
and for those graphs i drew a curve for the first one then a straight line for the raiuds against nucleon number, what did you guys sketch?

Was the Ek question on the applied physics paper or turning points?
Original post by savage903
For Pb nucleus binding energy people get like 1600MeV or something like that.
Got 62000 foR Activity of gamma source. 15 seconds for heating. 2.6x10^9 years for uranium isotope question. Anyone get these answers?

Yey, all sounds very familiar to me. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1187
Original post by FrightBright
I got 0.34 moles

NOOOOOOOOOOO FUUUUUUUUUU

im pretty sure it was 0.257, anyone else ?
Original post by Reminisce
Guys, for Astro, the second predominant absorption line for the B star is Helium right?

Yep.

Did you write about how the other star was too cold to have hydrogen lines? I wrote that at class M, metals are made such as titanium oxide. As those are stars below 3500K and that one was 2400K wasn't it?
probably the hardest exam paper ive done :frown: really didnt like section a
For Pb nucleus binding energy people get like 1600MeV or something like that.
Got 62000 foR Activity of gamma source. 15 seconds for heating. 2.6x10^9 years for uranium isotope question. Anyone get these answers?

I got 83 years, sure its not 2.6x10^9 seconds rather than years? I hope so anyway :/
Original post by kimmey
for the 2.6 x 10^9 one u could also check to see if it was right using the graph u plotted which was quite nice, also anyone else get 15s, and 3.68x10^-3 for the ratio thing, anyone doin medical get 109 or 106dB ?cant remember which one :smile:

I got something like 99dB. I thought since intensity is wm-2 you had to find area of sphere 5m away.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by kimmey

Yeah it was 0.257.
Original post by FrightBright
Yes to all except activity :frown:, talk me through what you did

i did 0.62/4x10^-3 . then i did that answer times 400 and got 62000.
Original post by kimmey

Can't remember for sure, but I believe my answer was more towards 0.257 than 0.32. I think it might've been around 0.28 that I wrote. Not sure.
Original post by rub em out
I got 83 years, sure its not 2.6x10^9 seconds rather than years? I hope so anyway :/

2.6x10^9 years
Original post by kimmey

I got 98dB
i did 0.62/4x10^-3 . then i did that answer times 400 and got 62000.

I got 67000 I think, because the answer for the first part wasn'te exactly 4x10^-3, it was something like 3.6x10^-3.
Original post by kimmey

Yes Im sorry to say I also got 0.26

Original post by kimmey

Swear i got 6.3x10^-4 or something....what did you get for the temp? like 400k or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending