The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 3 P3 GCSE 30th May 2012 Exam

Coming up soon. Any revision tips, key points please share here, will help everyone getting there target :smile:
I usually just go over past papers, however that isnt enough,
any key points your teachers have told you or there predictions also share, it would help us all if we have all the tips in one thread and would be great to have a look over before the exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I cant be the only one taking this paper?!
No one else here doing the same one?
Reply 2
Hahaha no I am too don't worry :P I suppose many other people are worried more about the chemistry and biology ones coming up next week!

I'm really worried about this exam because my teacher didn't even finish teaching all of Unit 3 and we had to learn some of it on our own...so yep, advice and tips would be appreciated!

I was just looking over the past papers, and there always seems to be a question on the ray diagrams, so learning them properly won't do any harm :smile:
Reply 3
I am doing it too :biggrin:
Should be able to organise an (Unofficial) Mark Scheme too..
Me and others did for Module 1 last summer and even guessed the boundaries perfectly for Chemistry :P

P3/C3 worry me the most out of the 6 modules to do. Although I am slowly getting the grasp of the topics in P3.. Should be fine in 2 weeks :O
Reply 4
Original post by steviep14
I am doing it too :biggrin:
Should be able to organise an (Unofficial) Mark Scheme too..
Me and others did for Module 1 last summer and even guessed the boundaries perfectly for Chemistry :P

P3/C3 worry me the most out of the 6 modules to do. Although I am slowly getting the grasp of the topics in P3.. Should be fine in 2 weeks :O

nice! we will do that but for now, how are you trying to revise for the exam?
Reply 5
Well besides focussing on Biology and Chemistry :wink:

umm.. so far I have made a Definition Sheet
(All key words we must know) - Getting used to them and becoming comfortable with it
Making brief notes on each topic and reading a revision guide
Past Paper Questions and going through things with the teacher

It is working well for me so far but you do what you find good :smile:
I'll be doing the P3 aswell but I can't get higher than middle A's in past papers.. I learn from copying out the textbook & revision guides - help is appreciated! thanks
Reply 7
Is anybody else taking the FSMQ on the same day? How do you revise for two giant exams on the same day? They both clash too so there's little time to revise in between them :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by AngryBirds4
Is anybody else taking the FSMQ on the same day? How do you revise for two giant exams on the same day? They both clash too so there's little time to revise in between them :frown:

Focus on Physics.. Forget about FSMQ..

I will revise for both but focus more on Physics - I find FSMQ is a nice thing to do but at the end of the day the grade doesn't matter - it is what you have learnt which is more helpful for A-Level
Reply 9
I'm doing Business on 30th may, thats 1 hours 1/2 from 9am
Afterwards I have Physics P7 at 11am as I have FSMQ last at 2PM

During that time im under supervision incase i slip out the answers :biggrin:

It's OCR P7 I'm doing
Reply 10
Whats FSMQ?
And ontopic guys, how are you lot revising?
Original post by zabi1
Whats FSMQ?
And ontopic guys, how are you lot revising?

"Free Standing Maths Qualification"

It's not related to GCSE or A-Level, although it is quite similar is some aspects. The one I'm taking is by OCR and it has 20 UCAS points along side it :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm doing this exam too and I'm really scared! But at the moment I'm focusing on the exams that are happening this week! Physics is one of my last exams! :smile:

Reply 13
Original post by belladalton
I'm doing this exam too and I'm really scared! But at the moment I'm focusing on the exams that are happening this week! Physics is one of my last exams! :smile:

Same! I have like 5 of my exams this week :hmpf:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation
Original post by zabi1
Same! I have like 5 of my exams this week :hmpf:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation

5 exams, down - 17 left :smile:
Reply 15
I found chem and bio fine, physics i need 80 ums to sustain my A, so far i got A's in all papers apart from jan 2012 which i found very hard
Reply 16
Since the 14th June, i've had 7 exams so far! Can't believe some of you guys this is your first..
Anyway, this is my immediate next exam so I need help with something:
Can someone explain in detail as to how that generator works in terms of the slip rings and brushes?
I get how it turns and produced electricity [Electromagnetic Induction]
I just can't understand why you need those slip rings and brushes while it's turning?
Reply 17
Original post by Aidn
Since the 14th June, i've had 7 exams so far! Can't believe some of you guys this is your first..
Anyway, this is my immediate next exam so I need help with something:
Can someone explain in detail as to how that generator works in terms of the slip rings and brushes?
I get how it turns and produced electricity [Electromagnetic Induction]
I just can't understand why you need those slip rings and brushes while it's turning?

The split ring commutator reverses the current every half-turn of the coil so that the generator can work. So every half turn the sides swap places and the coil can be pushed continually in the same direction over and over.
It is a bit confusing but hope that helped a bit.. :redface:
Reply 18
Original post by Didierr
The split ring commutator reverses the current every half-turn of the coil so that the generator can work. So every half turn the sides swap places and the coil can be pushed continually in the same direction over and over.
It is a bit confusing but hope that helped a bit.. :redface:

Right, so.. there is a split ring for each wire right?

I did a drawing from what I think, can you check it's right? :smile: Generator.png
Reply 19
hey, would anyone have any p3 notes thay can send. much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending