The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE AQA (poetry) May 24th, Higher tier

Scroll to see replies

Did I make the correct decision on comparing Charge of the Light Brigade with Futility for bravery?
Original post by bookworm786
So did i - why don't you think it was suitable? I guess Out of the Blue shows a contrast of bravery but Bayonet Charge is in the same context because of the inexperienced soldiers. What kind of things did you write?

I compared the same poems and I said how mametz wood concentrated on the aftermath of war whereas bayonet charge concentrates on how soldiers emotions change as a result of war obviously in more detail but that's too sum it up
Original post by caglapekin
Did anyone else write about the fact there was only 1 stanza (the unseen poem), and this suggested the children felt alone??

yeah I wrote the fact that there was only one stanza showed their life will forever lack any kind of structure as a result of the war. Total rubbish, I know.
Original post by katylam96
I did quickdraw and manhunt , would that work , for like the negative side

Yeah that would definitely work, they both present silimar attitudes of emotional pain. I compared Quickdraw with Sister Maude. How did you find the unseen poetry? I found it quite interesting.
I compared 'Quickdraw' with 'Hour', a lot of people I know did 'Sister Maude' or 'Nettles'
Reply 385
Original post by Lohkar
I compared Quickdraw to Hour, was fairly easy considering :smile: how did the unseen part go?

I did about a side and when the exam finished I was just starting my paragraph on what the meaning of the poem is.I didn't write what was the meaning for Sonnet 116, so that's a couple of marks lost...I think.
One thing that's worrying about the exam is if they will accept those explanations, some of them I did were ridicilous, eg. A sonnet has a constant beat (iambic pentameter) which represents the heartbeat-> associates with love.
I'm not sure on the unseen...

I said the rhythm seemed to fall apart, and didn't sound quite right, which mimicked how the children felt about the line when it said it didn't sound right, and that that would help the reader understand their feelings... erm. And that it showed they didn't know what was wrong, exactly, they couldn't articulate it fully, as the reader was unable to articulate what was wrong with the rhythm- that the children had forgotten was a normal life was, as the reader forgot what a normal rhythm was, and it helped the reader understand the effect, whilst demonstrating you only ever miss things once they have gone O.o

I put it in more words in the exam, and it seemed to form a more logical progression of thoughts there!
Original post by SchoolN3rd
i done mametz wood, compared it to futility... starting to think that was the wrong choice.

I did that in my mock and got an A

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Quickdraw and Hour for me. I only managed to write about 3 and a bit pages for the first question. Not sure if that's enough or not.
Original post by broken halo
I compared 'Quickdraw' with 'Hour', a lot of people I know did 'Sister Maude' or 'Nettles'

yeah I did the same.
Original post by Problematique
Quickdraw and Hour for me. I only managed to write about 3 and a bit pages for the first question. Not sure if that's enough or not.

That's about how much I wrote for the first one too
Original post by katylam96
I'm glad , as i thought negative feelings work , shame that sonnets didn't come up though ~

I found it quite interesting as well , i forgot to ass the stanza though ~ i talked about how thunder meant like bombs , a lot of imagery too , you ?

Yeah I talked about the "craters" and "thunders" as being metaphors for the emotional trauma the children will have and how their innocence was stripped. Basically, I just talked a whole load of nonsene....good thing is you get marked for your opinions. What are you aiming to get?
i dont even know how much I wrote, compared Quickdraw and The Manhunt really hoping i get an A as i got 4 marks off last time and i was really :frown: ...... Its infuriating how you can never feel how well you've done in english!!!
I did Quickdraw and The Manhunt, did anyone think the unseen poem wasn't at all that bad? I don't want to get my hopes up and when results day rolls up I'm disappointed :L
Original post by Shakz
Well, what happened 2day?:cool:

Cheers for your help btw, helped me and a few of my mates :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I did mametz wood and the yellow palm

Reply 396
phew I included some of these points! I said a lot about the darkness and the loss of innocence. I also said about there not being any pauses or breaks and its all just one verse. I'm doing language Tuesday and i'm glad that it is seperate! hopefully I can do well in one if not in the other ...
I didn't write about loss of innocence :s-smilie:

Original post by alexandraa
I didn't write about loss of innocence :s-smilie:

I didn't either- but I doubt we'd lose marks for missing things out, providing we make enough valid points to gain marks! And I think you can claim any point as valid, providing you can back it up with evidence, and explanation...?
Original post by zezima
as long as you relate it to children affected by the war, then your essay would look so good with that ^ analysis !

Thank God! I was getting worried i had done it wrong and yes i did relate it to children affected by war. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending