The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE AQA (poetry) May 24th, Higher tier

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katflap
Oh gosh, I know! Everybody seemed to compare it to Bayonet Charge! And everybody that didn't compare it to Bayonet Charge did the other question! Still, I think that it is a good poem to compare it to! What did you write? I talked about how COtheLB glorifies war and portrays all the soldiers (including the said person who 'blundered') as heroic and brave, whereas next to of course god america i sort of portrays war and conflict as a whole as cowardly, and makes a mockery of glorifying the soldiers and the war by the way cummings sarcastically says 'by gosh by gee by gum' ect.. If you get my drift ha. I just wanted to discuss it because everybody else did a different question!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I wrote about how Tennyson portrays the obedience of the soldiers, and the erroneous order of "blunder's", how the poem ends with "noble six hundred" etc. In Futility, I wrote about how precious life is and how the narrator sympathises with the fragile soldier, and the poet's contempt towards the meaning of life if it can be easily destroyed etc. :smile:
Reply 581
Original post by katflap
Did anyone do the conflict cluster? And if so, which question did you choose? I did the one about The Charge of the Light Brigade (something like 'compare how bravery is represented in Charge of the Light Brigade and one other poem') and I compared it to next to of course god america i by e.e cummings... But everyone else that I've spoken to seems to have chosen the other question about Mametz Wood and I'm just wondering why everybody seemed to pick that question...

I did conflict, I compared Mametz Wood with Futility

I believe I did quite well on this test.
Reply 583
Original post by katflap
Did anyone do the conflict cluster? And if so, which question did you choose? I did the one about The Charge of the Light Brigade (something like 'compare how bravery is represented in Charge of the Light Brigade and one other poem') and I compared it to next to of course god america i by e.e cummings... But everyone else that I've spoken to seems to have chosen the other question about Mametz Wood and I'm just wondering why everybody seemed to pick that question...

Wow, I thought I was the only one in the whole of the UK to compare those two exact poems. I thought they were very easy to compare both poems and talk about structure and attitudes

Reply 584
Original post by Shakz
1) compare the power of ozymandias with another poem.
or
2) explain the language techniques in checkin out me history with another poem

First of all, the Checkin Out Me History was the first question right? and Ozymandias was the second question.

Also, I compared Checkin Out Me History and Singh Song as they both were written in the first person and dealt with race and culture.

Although, I wrote about the use of repetition in both poems, I also focused on the structure and tone. Would I get any marks for mentioning structure and tone even though the question about language.
Reply 585
Original post by Kwaku_96
First of all, the Checkin Out Me History was the first question right? and Ozymandias was the second question.

Also, I compared Checkin Out Me History and Singh Song as they both were written in the first person and dealt with race and culture.

Although, I wrote about the use of repetition in both poems, I also focused on the structure and tone. Would I get any marks for mentioning structure and tone even though the question about language.

Mark Band 6
31-36 marks
In response to the task, candidates demonstrate:
6.1 insightful exploratory response to text
6.2 close analysis of detail to support interpretation
6.3 evaluation of writers’ uses of language and/or structure and/or form and effects on readers
6.4 convincing/imaginative interpretation of ideas/themes
6.5 evaluative comparison of ideas and/or meanings and/or techniques
6.6 evaluative selection of a range of telling details into comparison
Information is presented clearly and accurately. Writing is fluent and focused. Syntax and spelling are used with a high degree of accuracy
Reply 586
Original post by Coke1
Mark Band 6
31-36 marks
6.3 evaluation of writers’ uses of language and/or structure and/or form and effects on readers
Information is presented clearly and accurately. Writing is fluent and focused. Syntax and spelling are used with a high degree of accuracy

Well, that's good.

From my memory, I wrote that most of the stanzas in 'Singh Song' were short especially when the man was describing his non-traditional wife. That's structure right?

Sorry, I'm just curious and worried.
Original post by Coke1
Mark Band 6
31-36 marks

Hey, I'm pretty sure I did well on this, but what is the maximum mark you can get for the unseen if you didn't discuss the effects on the reader at all? x
How did everyone do? :smile:
Original post by holly12345

Got an A overall and an A* in the exam, and I'm targetted a C! Guess those CGP books worked! You :smile:
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Got an A overall and an A* in the exam, and I'm targetted a C! Guess those CGP books worked! You :smile:

Well done ^_^ I'm happy for you!

I found it brilliant, I got an A*, 69/70, and I was super happy! Yourself?!
Original post by Anny Smiles
Well done ^_^ I'm happy for you!

I found it brilliant, I got an A*, 69/70, and I was super happy! Yourself?!

I got an A (59/70) Which I was really happy with!!:biggrin:
I got an A (59/70) Which I was really happy with!!:biggrin:

Wooo! :biggrin: Well done :biggrin: ^_^
70/70 :biggrin:

I wasn't confident with my response for the unseen, but I obviously did better than I thought.

Only got an A overall for lit though, despite getting full mark in the controlled assessment as well.
LOL. I got C in this exam, but A overall in English literature.
I really want to retake, but I'll probably end up getting worse than I already did xD
Reply 595
Just managed to scrape an a* in eng lit overall with 66/70 in this exam!
Reply 596
I guess my risk actually paid off by choosing next to of course god America I and comparing it to charge of the light brigade. I got 61/70 but curious how far off was I to an A*?

Reply 597
what was the grade boundaries for an A*? I got an A* in this exam WOOHOO but an A overall. V. happy. :biggrin:
Well done to all!
Reply 598
I got full marks on both English lit papers which was so unexpected. I really want to see my paper now haha
Original post by mintbear
what was the grade boundaries for an A*? I got an A* in this exam WOOHOO but an A overall. V. happy. :biggrin:
Well done to all!

37/54!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending