The Student Room Group

The English Literature (LITB3 - 20/06/12) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Is anybody doing Faustus for Section A?
What do you think will come up?
Original post by Sailingslipelick
Doing the Pastoral. Feel very lonely after seeing everyone talking about Frankenstein/Dracula and the Gothic genre in general.

Good luck to everyone!!
May the odds of a good question coming up, be ever in our favour.

Another pastoral student here!! Good luck for tomorrow :smile: I'm simultaneously dreading and looking forward to this exam!
Reply 982
I hope a good section A question comes up for Wuthering Heights or Doctor Faustus, cannot wait to get this exam pretty much out the way...
Reply 983
Original post by lampshade1
Final Predictions anyone for Macbeth/TBC for Section A?
Section B - I've gathered transgression is a prediction :smile:
Also, how long do you guys spend planning? (if you do at all)

I would spend around a good 5 minutes planning, that way you have a whole 55 to do each question :smile:
I'm doing pastoral too! Good luck everyone. I've barely learned ANY quotes...
Original post by emilynicole
I'm doing Wuthering Heights if I can help I will?

Sorry only just seen this,
as a revision tool i am writing down gothic techniques (blood, terror +fear, sex and sexuality etc.)

Struggling with quotes for
Blood
Terror and Fear (I assure you she is not in pain..? or something)

Stuff like that...
Original post by fishfan01
Uhm, I believe that you CAN, but it's not the best way to go about it as it takes you off task and can lead you down many different routes which aren't necessarily going to answer the question, and under exam conditions, with only a limited amount of time, it's better to stick to stuff that is actually directly related to the question :smile:

Original post by ACityOnAHill
Is that a past question?

I probably would say that its slightly of tangent because the questions asks you how rather then "explore" or "to what extent" but its a weird question because it doesn't really allow for a decent argument?

Original post by riamj21
As long as you relate it to the latter part, so say actually characters are more important in presenting gothic themes, then I think it's ok :smile:

I'm confused now haha, it wasn't a past question but settings have never come up so I'm a little worried it may and this was a practice question we got given. Not sure how I could agree/disagree just on setting!
Reply 987
we havent been taught about trangression either!!!

so its just going beyond the limits of boundaries and whats socially acceptable etc?? so it TBC could you talk about Carter reversing gender roles???

Faustus - going beyond the boundaries of knowledge?:s-smilie:

Dracula- dont even know.

so worried all ive done tonnes of revision for TBC :frown:
Reply 988
Original post by ashleighdaviess
Sorry only just seen this,
as a revision tool i am writing down gothic techniques (blood, terror +fear, sex and sexuality etc.)

Struggling with quotes for
Blood
Terror and Fear (I assure you she is not in pain..? or something)

Stuff like that...

blood quotes - "i pulled its wrist on to the broken pane, and rubbed it to and fron till blood ran down" - bit with lockwood and cathys ghost! perfect gothic scene!
terror - "intense horror of nightmare" - same scene
la-dauphine8216217
I'm doing pastoral too! Good luck everyone. I've barely learned ANY quotes...

Same :/ I hope something in my brain tomorrow unlocks my subconscious memory of all the texts but I doubt that will happen so i've just got to blag...
Original post by bregetabond
Ah right thank you! Really questioning the abilities of my teachers reading this thread haha. I'm doing Dracula, Macbeth & Frankenstein.

You're welcome, I'm doing Doctor Faustus, The Bloody Chamber and Wuthering Heights so can't help any further, sorry!
Original post by Perseverance
I'm confused now haha, it wasn't a past question but settings have never come up so I'm a little worried it may and this was a practice question we got given. Not sure how I could agree/disagree just on setting!

You would'nt need to neccesary need to have a strict agree and disagree on such questions. Gothic settings are relevant to exam 'elements of the gothic' - so relate it to how it makes a significance to characters, intentions, events, mood etc... Provide alternative views of the language used, imagery...
How is everyone learning to revise with longer texts such as Dracula?

P.S: Predictions on Macbeth questions?
Reply 993
Anyone else feel like they've done so much it feels like nothings going in anymore , ahhh I hope it comes out in the exam .....LAST EXAM thoughhh woo ...
Reply 994
I'm using a different technique for this exam. I have banked all my revision on 'one' text, and as each question = 40 marks.

I will spend the first 30-40 mins planning for Macbeth question A, and put all the quotes and ideas down relevant to the question.

Then carefully write it out as neatly as possible for the examiner and go for a high mark in the next hour or so.
Original post by bethq
we havent been taught about trangression either!!!

so its just going beyond the limits of boundaries and whats socially acceptable etc?? so it TBC could you talk about Carter reversing gender roles???

Faustus - going beyond the boundaries of knowledge?:s-smilie:

Dracula- dont even know.

so worried all ive done tonnes of revision for TBC :frown:

Dracula transgression: breaking the social and psychic limits

Count embodies transgression - he is a vampire (stuck between life and death) he is undead (he is absent and present) and he is a shapeshifter with no boundaries.

Trangression allows social boundaries placed on characters to be released - Lucy for example says the effect the Count has on her is both "very sweet and very bitter". Jonathan also enjoys his encounters with the female vampires - "i felt in my heart a wicked, burning desire that they would kiss me with those red lips" and he succumbs to this "wickedness" when he waits in "an agony of delightful anticipation."

When Mina is forced to drink from Dracula's breast, this is a form of transgression. It's a "perverse" sexual act whereby roles of nurturing are reversed. Worst bit is that Mina says she "did not want to hinder him."
Reply 996
Transgression would be an awesome question to come up I think :biggrin:

When was the last time you guys read the texts? I haven't bothered re-reading them since before Christmas!
Reply 997
my bet is religion and supernatural for dracula
Original post by nikkib12
blood quotes - "i pulled its wrist on to the broken pane, and rubbed it to and fron till blood ran down" - bit with lockwood and cathys ghost! Perfect gothic scene!
Terror - "intense horror of nightmare" - same scene

thankyou!!
Reply 999
Original post by Char Wari
I'm using a different technique for this exam. I have banked all my revision on 'one' text, and as each question = 40 marks.

I will spend the first 30-40 mins planning for Macbeth question A, and put all the quotes and ideas down relevant to the question.

Then carefully write it out as neatly as possible for the examiner and go for a high mark in the next hour or so.

ohh thats a big risk...if you really dont feel confident with the other texts why dont you spend 1 hour and 2o minutes on the section a question (forget your handwriting it wont get you any marks)...10-20 minutes planning and an hour of writing
.and thne spend 40 minutes on section B ...you will atleats be abel to write about the one text you know well (10 minutes) and then give 5 minutes each to your other texts (you will remember some things even if its jsut a paragraph)... this way you shoudl get good marks on setcion a and soem makrs for section b.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending