The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Exam 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jas1
I'm exactly the same as you - I find science and maths so much easier :smile:

I messed the timing of that exam up so badly that I only had 35mins for section B :/ oh well...I'm defo gonna have to retake that one next year!

I can't re-take mine as I'm in year 11 but I did it in january and got 1 off a b
Original post by L_Vieru
I'd say todays paper was slightly harder. I took this paper in January, although my English skills were worse, I must say the sources were much more easier to work with, much easier. This one had really crap articles, so I assume it's going to be harder for a lot of people. When we were in class we were told you needed 64 out of 80 for an A*. I got a C in Jan exams, so I must have got about 50 marks. For a B you would need around 55 marks imo

In january it was 47/80 for a b grade:smile:
The reading was alright, the comparison was a bit crappy. I was talking about language techniques+feelings in the feelings question .. as in how the lang techniques show the feelings, is that okay? UHM i compared source 2 and 3. I only said one or two things about the 2nd source as to the 3rd where I rambled on and on. Also for the writing describe question, it said no more than 2 and a half. I have big handwriting so I wrote 3 and a half sides. Hm, I also just was describing and I forgot to add how I overcame this uncertainty so I just added a concluding paragraph talking about how to over come it. So i wrote 3 pages describing and 1 para just saying how I overcame the unsure-NESSSSS. Uhm, the argue question wasn't too bad this time.

I'm thinking I probably got 60/80 ish - just a rough guess - what grade is that usually?
Original post by letsbehonest
The reading was alright, the comparison was a bit crappy. I was talking about language techniques+feelings in the feelings question .. as in how the lang techniques show the feelings, is that okay? UHM i compared source 2 and 3. I only said one or two things about the 2nd source as to the 3rd where I rambled on and on. Also for the writing describe question, it said no more than 2 and a half. I have big handwriting so I wrote 3 and a half sides. Hm, I also just was describing and I forgot to add how I overcame this uncertainty so I just added a concluding paragraph talking about how to over come it. So i wrote 3 pages describing and 1 para just saying how I overcame the unsure-NESSSSS. Uhm, the argue question wasn't too bad this time.

I'm thinking I probably got 60/80 ish - just a rough guess - what grade is that usually?

In January it was 61/80 for a* but it was slightly harder this year so I'm guessing it will be a*\a
Reply 384
Original post by Melissajanex
In january it was 47/80 for a b grade:smile:

Oh gosh I'm so bad at English......, that's barely half of the paper right....
I swear the examiner was in a bad mood.

How do you think you did? I personally messed up on time...again. The argument question was a mess, used like 2 connectives, a failed semi colon, a crap rhetorical question. Oh my...what a fail
Reply 385
I thought this exam went ok, I did well in the writing part but I don't think I wrote enough for the reading section
Original post by L_Vieru
Oh gosh I'm so bad at English......, that's barely half of the paper right....
I swear the examiner was in a bad mood.

How do you think you did? I personally messed up on time...again. The argument question was a mess, used like 2 connectives, a failed semi colon, a crap rhetorical question. Oh my...what a fail

Tell me about it I only got 46/80 in jan! I think I did a little better this time although like you I timed it wrong but I wrote more than I did last time so here's hoping!:smile:
Reply 387
Original post by beth1995x
I'm sure you did loads better than me! I didnt have time to change mine at all!!! Even if it was to something about God :wink::wink:

So the retakes in Novemeber, do we come back to school to do them or do we take them in college?? I didn't realise we could retake these exams seeing as we're leaving soon!

Hahaha, well they might count the argument about the statement as our opinion... I'm pretty sure English language, along with maths, is one of the few GSCEs offered for retakes- you might have to come back into school, but I'm not entirely sure, you should probably check with your teacher :smile:
I thought it was alright but they could have presented a better argument for the 24 mark question. However, I liked the 16 mark question where you had to write for a blog. I wrote about how a burgular came into my house and I didn't know what to do but eventually hit him with a bat. It was quite cheesy but funny at the same time. What did you guys write about for the 16 mark question?
Reply 389
Original post by CJ-3
Are there!?! This is news to me, are you certain? ( I felt it went horribly, if you haven't guessed)

Not 100% certain- my teacher did reassure me yesterday that there are November retakes, but there is a small chance he may be wrong. I think it's pretty likely that there are retakes for English language though, as well as maths, because they are considered two of the most important gcses... (glad I messed up on this exam then -_-)
I'm sure you did better than you remember- also it seems like a lot of people really struggled (including me), so hopefully this year the grade boundaries will plummet :smile:
Reply 390
The examiners are mainly looking for the quality of your writing, your style, technique that kind of thing, your subject doesn't matter as much xx
Reply 391
Original post by _hail
Hahaha, well they might count the argument about the statement as our opinion... I'm pretty sure English language, along with maths, is one of the few GSCEs offered for retakes- you might have to come back into school, but I'm not entirely sure, you should probably check with your teacher :smile:

Apparently if we re-take, we have to do all the controlled assessments again too!!!
Reply 392
Original post by osama2
yeah thats what i thought. its YOUR article with YOUR point of view

I think the mark scheme will be quite flexible, if you're writing in the style of a tabloid, its ok to state your opinion, but if you're writing in the style of a broadsheet newspaper you need to stay neutral but include statistics which argue either way
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Guys, I only did 6 points for Question 1 and summarised them briefly; can I still get 8 marks?

For Question 2, I was pretty happy; I just analysed the effectiveness of the picture and headline and linked them to the text with quotes.

For Question 3, I only made three points: they were about 1) Parrado's curious thoughts of what lay ahead, 2) Canessa's feelings of exhaustion, 3) Parrado being scared, but this only increasing his curiosity. Is this okay? According to the examiner report, it shouldn't be treated as a language question but as another inference question of thouhgs/feelings, which I feel I did; but is three points enough?

For Question 4, I had three paragraphs which compared Sources 2 and 3 throughout (so 6 points overall, one compared with another). I looked at vivid imagery and alliteration, basically; because the mark scheme and examiner reports seem to stress that looking for vivid, exciting and evocative phrases is the best thing to do? I also linked in how they both convey feelings of relief (e.g. wet with tears, alliterative 'rescued'), but Source 3 exaggerates this at its purpose is to entertain, whereas Source 2's purpose is to inform so provides a more objective account. I hope this is okay; as Source 3 was a non-fiction book is it okay to say that its purpose is to entertain, even though it is factual? Was question 4 simply to explain Parrado and Canessa's thoughts and feelings, or was it to do with the rescue? I just analysed the thoughts and feelings throughout the extract...

For Question 5, I did an account of me waiting to be picked to perfom a speech for my speaking and listening.. I used some similies and vivid description; ambitious words, and what I hope will be rather light-hearted. This is an uncertain experience, right? I then said that I discovered how to overcome it by having complete confidence in onself: 'I think I can, I think I can.... I KNEW I could'. Hope this is okay.

For Question 6, I was all over the place! However, I used some argumentative techniques (ASPAREFOREST) but not any facts/statistics (don't you think facts/statistics would be irrelevant for an article on role models)? However I made four points, acknowledged the other side (countered it with numerous rhetorical questions) and an intro and conclusion. Not really very logically structured/didn't make sense, but I was tight for time, particularly with only 30 minutes.

Please answer my questions! x

I also used the idea of having confidence in myself for question 5.
For question 6, I didn't really understand why it was an arugment and did I have to add counter arguments in too? :s-smilie:
Apparently if we re-take, we have to do all the controlled assessments again too!!!

Who told you that? I dont think you do as today was my second go at English language and I haven't redone all my controlled assessments :smile:!
For the 16-mark question, I wrote from the perspective of an animal, as our teacher said less people would do that, and is therefore more likely to be unique :smile: Has anybody else done this?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I found the English paper quite challenging. Especially the question on a radio script?? My English teacher didn't teach us about how to write a radio script. Did u guys get that same questions? If so how did you find it?? Is the radio writing script even in the syllabus, jw lol as the teachers didn't think it was!!! I'm so gonna fail this exam without a doubt!!:confused:
Original post by Ashleigh199614
I found the English paper quite challenging. Especially the question on a radio script?? My English teacher didn't teach us about how to write a radio script. Did u guys get that same questions? If so how did you find it?? Is the radio writing script even in the syllabus, jw lol as the teachers didn't think it was!!! I'm so gonna fail this exam without a doubt!!:confused:

No radio script in my paper:smile: did you do foundation ?
For question 5 I wrote about choosing between friends and family. It wasn't very good to be honest:biggrin:
Reply 399

:eek: Really?! That will take so long...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending