The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Exam 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
For question 1, can i write my answer like:

The group were "rafting" on a trip "down the collorado river, through the grand canyon"

or like this:

The group travelled on on an exhilerating trip down the magnificent Collarado river and through the Grand Canyon.

??
Reply 41
Original post by tomaird
nope it works fine for me!

Ugh.:frown: Well that's weird. At least you guys have an operable mark scheme though.:smile:
Reply 42
http://store.aqa.org.uk/resourceZone/pdf/english/AQA-4700-4705-W-TRB-STARWNFT.PDF This might be useful? The past papers and mark schemes are all coming up blank for me but they are here on the AQA website, hopefully they work for you: http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/english/english-language-materials.php?
I can't help much with that because I don't know what the mark schemes ask for, (trying to find now, can I ask if this: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp...W-MS-JAN11.PDF is blank for anyone else, or is it just me?) but presentational devices are the ways in which the story has been presented to attract attention and interesting an audience. For example, the photo has got bright, vibrant colours which bring the inital attraction to the story. On closer inspection you see the photo depicts an elderly woman running which breaks social convention so that'll interest the reader. I think you can also point out the obvious, so pick up on the fact that the heading is bold, things like that.

Thankyou for the response :smile:

Hi, I think they meant the person who posted about aphorisms etc as their post was quite unrelated. I believe aphorisms are general statements loosely based on truth, sorry I can't think of any good examples. Sentence fragmentation would be sentences which aren't coherent, they're not linked together properly so they don't flow or make sense. I wouldn't worry atm about finding texts about the jubilee or olympics- for one, we're not completely sure it will come up so you could be wasting your time, and also, I think it's more productive to revise the techniques we need to use in the test, e.g. persuasive techniques such as statement dressed as fact. My teacher told me you don't need to know real facts, you can put in fabricated ones and use them to back up your argument, you'll still get marks for doing that.

OH GOD! i feel like an idiot now, very embarrased. Knew i should of kept my mouth shut haha!
Reply 44
Hi! i have my English exam on that date too, and same exam board *hi5* LOL! but, i seriously don't get how are you meant to revise for an English exam... i have done some past paper but I'm still really struggling with the time, i aint that quick writer. :afraid: also, the whole class was given a higher Jan 2011 script that contained a candidates answers who got a grade of A*, therefore, i will be following the same structure of the answers that the candidates had wrote... but in he/she's plan for qs.4 (comparing source 3 and source 1 or source 2) they wrote LIST - which i have no clue it means, except L means lang and S means structure I THINK! But, do you know what the I and the T mean? I'm hoping that you would know... :/ thank you... :wink:
Reply 45
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE GRADE BOUDARIES FOR LITERATURE AND LANGUAGE???

My teacher said 76% A* and other sources say 90% i am really worried which is it???????
Original post by A193
the first 15 mins they just help you to read the texts, but if you want (like me), just start doing the exam paper when it starts - at least that's what our school does

:O i didn't know you were allowed to start right away - our teacher just said we're only allowed to look at the texts - Thats awesome XD imma start right away

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Arshii
Hi! i have my English exam on that date too, and same exam board *hi5* LOL! but, i seriously don't get how are you meant to revise for an English exam... i have done some past paper but I'm still really struggling with the time, i aint that quick writer. :afraid: also, the whole class was given a higher Jan 2011 script that contained a candidates answers who got a grade of A*, therefore, i will be following the same structure of the answers that the candidates had wrote... but in he/she's plan for qs.4 (comparing source 3 and source 1 or source 2) they wrote LIST - which i have no clue it means, except L means lang and S means structure I THINK! But, do you know what the I and the T mean? I'm hoping that you would know... :/ thank you... :wink:

Arshii,

*hi5* back at you, as my English teacher tells our class like every day, the only way you can revise for this exam is by being able to identify various devices, and also utilize them in your own work.

Good Luck
Aidan
Original post by Clare2012
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE GRADE BOUDARIES FOR LITERATURE AND LANGUAGE???

My teacher said 76% A* and other sources say 90% i am really worried which is it???????

Hi Clare,

Believe it or not, both are correct but the 90% will always stay static as it is in what is known as UMS.

UMS grade boundaries equate to this,

A* - 90%
A - 80%
B - 70%
C - 60%
D - 50%
E - 40%
F - 30%
G - 20%
U - 0%

The raw mark boundaries are relative to how good or bad people do, so they are prone to fluctuation.

E.G. In 2011, 47/50 Raw = A* = 100 UMS, but in 2012, 43/50 Raw = A* = 100 UMS.....

If you need any more help with this, feel free to message, and if you are sitting ENL01 on Tuesday, GOOD LUCK!

Aidan
Reply 49
I'm so worried about this exam, I'm supposed to get an A* but I got a C in my mock, so scared! good luck everyone :/
Original post by aidan.steer112
Hi Clare,

Believe it or not, both are correct but the 90% will always stay static as it is in what is known as UMS.

A* - 90%
A - 80%
B - 70%
C - 60%
D - 50%
E - 40%
F - 30%
G - 20%
U - 0%

The raw mark boundaries are relative to how good or bad people do, so they are prone to fluctuation.

E.G. In 2011, 47/50 Raw = A* = 100 UMS, but in 2012, 43/50 Raw = A* = 100 UMS.....

If you need any more help with this, feel free to message, and if you are sitting ENL01 on Tuesday, GOOD LUCK!

Aidan

Are you sure the whole paper is out of 50?? Looking at the mark scheme, I remember it was 80. I'm doing AQA and on the same date as you.
Reply 51
Original post by aidan.steer112
Hi Clare,

A* - 90%
A - 80%
B - 70%
C - 60%
D - 50%
E - 40%
F - 30%
G - 20%
U - 0%

Aidan

Sorry but I am still really confused as i was looking at the raw/ums mark thing on the internet but it doesnt make much sense to me.

I really want to get an A in this exam but i mucked up one of the 30 mark texts literature questions as i couldnt decide which question to choose and ended up rushing it and it was literally the worst essay (if you can call it that) i have ever written :frown:. I got 36/40 for the controlled assesment and the poetry went fine so do you think its possible to get an A??

80% seems pretty high and i doubt i will get more than 10/30 for the lit question that went wrong :/

Thanks so much :smile:
I did it in January and got an A*, which was a shock because I thought I messed up a lot. Basically just make sure you time it right, I did question 4, the comparison one last and I barely had anytime to go into depth, so timing is definitely one of the most important aspects. For section B being quite descriptive and well structured seems to work effectively, I have a habit of being TOO descriptive when it isn't necessary though, suppose everyone's different. Good luck to everyone doing it :smile:
Original post by Starrstruck
Are you sure the whole paper is out of 50?? Looking at the mark scheme, I remember it was 80. I'm doing AQA and on the same date as you.

Deep Infernal Boll*cks..... That is roughly how it went for my Science.....

Thanks for pointing it out

A
Original post by Clare2012
Sorry but I am still really confused as i was looking at the raw/ums mark thing on the internet but it doesnt make much sense to me.

I really want to get an A in this exam but i mucked up one of the 30 mark texts literature questions as i couldnt decide which question to choose and ended up rushing it and it was literally the worst essay (if you can call it that) i have ever written :frown:. I got 36/40 for the controlled assesment and the poetry went fine so do you think its possible to get an A??

80% seems pretty high and i doubt i will get more than 10/30 for the lit question that went wrong :/

Thanks so much :smile:

A very wise teacher once told me this,

To get a C you need confidence, To get a B you need Belief, To get an A you need all of them.

Just believe in your own ability, and be confident about the exam.... You will do fine.

You have 60?% above an A, so you are fine at the moment, just remember to eat brainfood on the day of your exam, take a bottle of water in with you and don't stress about it. Remember to put the higher mark questions first, and ace those.

Once again, you will do fine!

Aidan
Original post by lizz-ie
I'm so worried about this exam, I'm supposed to get an A* but I got a C in my mock, so scared! good luck everyone :/

I was once told;
To get a C you need confidence, To get a B you need Belief, To get an A you need all of them.

Just believe in your own ability, and be confident about the exam.... You will do fine.

Remember to eat brainfood on the day of your exam, take a bottle of water in with you and don't stress about it. Remember to put the higher mark questions first, and ace those.

Once again, you will do fine!

Aidan
Reply 56
Original post by hypanx
For question 1, can i write my answer like:

The group were "rafting" on a trip "down the collorado river, through the grand canyon"

or like this:

The group travelled on on an exhilerating trip down the magnificent Collarado river and through the Grand Canyon.

??

The first way definitely- you get more marks if you keep embedding quotes in your sentences. Just remember to talk about what the reader learns from these particular quotes too. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 57
Hey, you guys...this AQA have the past papers i need but for the language paper there is only a question booklet,,,where can i get the booklet with the texts and items in it?
I did it in January and got an A*, which was a shock because I thought I messed up a lot. Basically just make sure you time it right, I did question 4, the comparison one last and I barely had anytime to go into depth, so timing is definitely one of the most important aspects. For section B being quite descriptive and well structured seems to work effectively, I have a habit of being TOO descriptive when it isn't necessary though, suppose everyone's different. Good luck to everyone doing it

How do you (or did you) structure both responses?
My teacher told me there was two that wouldn't come up in the Higher Paper this year. Does anyone know what they are as I didn't write them down? I know that one of them was Writing to Advise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending