The Student Room Group
Reply 1
kungfuchris
Any suggestions on how I should go about building up to becoming a commercial airline pilot? I'm hoping for a career in the RAF but if that fails this is my backup! I know it's expensive but if anyone has any idea how, please let me know.

Thanks.

Im interested also. as far as i know you need to be mega fit, do maths a-level and physics a-level to have even half a chance. the raf is not so difficult. try signing up to your local raf school and join the youth setups they have
Reply 2
Cloudey
Im interested also. as far as i know you need to be mega fit, do maths a-level and physics a-level to have even half a chance. the raf is not so difficult. try signing up to your local raf school and join the youth setups they have

Sorry, what are you talking about? RAF school?

You don't have to be mega fit. You need A levels, but not definately maths or physics. By all means try the Air Cadets. Join a UAS if you have one.

To become a commercial pilot, throw money at it. You need to go PPL, night rating, instrument rating, CPL, ATPL. Then you join the dozens of guys with frozen JAR ATPLs and no job; and some of them have a type rating and 2000 hours 737 or the suchlike. Hard world to get into, even now.
Reply 3
i meant air cadets, couldnt remmeber the terminology
Reply 4
Wzz
Sorry, what are you talking about? RAF school?

You don't have to be mega fit. You need A levels, but not definately maths or physics. By all means try the Air Cadets. Join a UAS if you have one.

To become a commercial pilot, throw money at it. You need to go PPL, night rating, instrument rating, CPL, ATPL. Then you join the dozens of guys with frozen JAR ATPLs and no job; and some of them have a type rating and 2000 hours 737 or the suchlike. Hard world to get into, even now.

That's the thing, I can't join a UAS now... too old and too late! Need to know everything that will make me the most appealing prospect to an employer! Who knows what that might be!!! Better pray for that dream position in the RAF!

Thanks for the input though.
Reply 5
Cloudey

I don't think it has to be those qualifications but a degree is most definitely required! Look at the easyjet website.. at least a 2:2 to be considered. And then there's the experience you must gain but then there are hundreds of wannabes out there! Just gotta appeal more than the rest! Gonna be hard whatever!!
Reply 6
kungfuchris
I don't think it has to be those qualifications but a degree is most definitely required! Look at the easyjet website.. at least a 2:2 to be considered. And then there's the experience you must gain but then there are hundreds of wannabes out there! Just gotta appeal more than the rest! Gonna be hard whatever!!
Reply 7
I have my student pilot permit and I am working my way to my private licence and then maybe IFR or night but i'm just doing it for fun.. What you guys need to do is ground school, then get your private licence, they night, then ifr, then commerical rating and probably your instructor licence. Build up hours as an instructor then work for a small regional carrier and work your way up... It would probably be easier to join air force and they train you and you build up hours quickly and then get the needed licences to go into commercial flying.
There are 3 ways of getting in:

1) going through the RAF

2) paying about £50,000 for training

3) an airline sponsering you, very very VERY tough competition and even then you still have to pay somerhing like £20 k
Reply 9
MuniE
I have my student pilot permit and I am working my way to my private licence and then maybe IFR or night but i'm just doing it for fun.. What you guys need to do is ground school, then get your private licence, they night, then ifr, then commerical rating and probably your instructor licence. Build up hours as an instructor then work for a small regional carrier and work your way up... It would probably be easier to join air force and they train you and you build up hours quickly and then get the needed licences to go into commercial flying.

Cheers, that's very helpful. If I get into the RAF I'm staying there so my problem would be solved anyway! So the RAF ain't really an option for commercial flying. I know it's just gonna cost me loads but hey, I wanna fly!

Can anyone think of any other careers that are in piloting? I can only think of commercial, instructor and the RAF! Cheers.
the best way is definately through the RAF
Reply 11
DazYa
the best way is definately through the RAF

Why?

16 years of work, to come out with a few thousand hours, and still have to pay to do your ATPL exams? If you go fast jet then your hours are only worth maybe 20 or 30 mins each for conversion purposes? You have no type rating, and you compete with guys virtually half your age?

The RAF's a career, not a shortcut into another. If you're happy with a pay CUT when you're nearly 40, then it can be possible to switch over, but it's by no means guaranteed and more people fail than manage it!

Even if you fly ME aircraft your whole life, you still don't get a "free" ATPL; and you're still going to have to convince an airline to take you.

If you want to be a commercial pilot, don't apply to become a military pilot.
Reply 12
Thought I would clear up a few misconceptions on here. My dad is a commercial pilot (BA). He left school at 16 with no A levels, and did an aprentiship (sp?)as a ground engineer with BA and then made his way up to a flight engineer. Then (when he was about 35) BA paid him to do a pilots training course.

So I'm just saying you don't HAVE to have maths and physics A levels. Although, things are different now and it would probably be much quicker and easier if you do.
thats interesting sam ..... my dad left school with like 1 CSE and about 2 A levels ( did a levels when he was an adult ) and hes on a good salary now as he worked his way up
Reply 14
~Sam~
Thought I would clear up a few misconceptions on here. My dad is a commercial pilot (BA). He left school at 16 with no A levels, and did an aprentiship (sp?)as a ground engineer with BA and then made his way up to a flight engineer. Then (when he was about 35) BA paid him to do a pilots training course.

So I'm just saying you don't HAVE to have maths and physics A levels. Although, things are different now and it would probably be much quicker and easier if you do.

This doesn't happen now. The airline market is still rather flooded; look at the back of a flying magazine, you'll see a lot of people advertising for pilots requiring as much as a type rating and 2000 hours.

Nowadays, airlines aren't looking to recruit from within as much in the sense you mention. If you genuinely want to do it, you're likely to have to suck it up, take out a £40000 career development loan, and pay for an ATPL. Then prostitute yourself to airlines.
Reply 15
kungfuchris
Any suggestions on how I should go about building up to becoming a commercial airline pilot? I'm hoping for a career in the RAF but if that fails this is my backup! I know it's expensive but if anyone has any idea how, please let me know.

Thanks.

I can only speak for civilian flying here, there seems to be much confusion over becoming a commercial or airline pilot. The best method to approach this is:

1.) Find a small flying club that offers PPL training, you will learn a lot more here than any other 'flying school'
2.) Once you have a PPL go straight to CPL do not attempt going night rating / IMC or for the full IR (assuming you want to go commercial)
3.) The CPL will open up your options to a certain degree, but then you need to gain experience, although rather challenging do the 'Instructors Rating' and try working for a flight school doing instruction - see where this path takes you

This is the most cost effective way and the most sensible approach, do not look to far ahead to soon.

Latest

Trending

Trending