The Student Room Group

Immigrants coming to the UK with no jobs?

Why are we basically allowing people to enter this country who have no work? Which retard allowed this?

Why are we not only allowing people who have highly-valued skills? Does the fact we're in the EU mean any unskilled EU national can come here to claim benefits? If this is the case, surely all EU benefits should be the same (inflation adjusted) so that it is not profitable to visit other countries whilst jobless just to receive generous benefits????

Is this another disadvantages to belonging to the EU??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And why is this so upsetting to you?

Posted via TSR iPhone App
Reply 2
The same retard who discovered Tourism, and that it generates a lot of money.
Original post by billydisco
Why are we not only allowing people who have highly-valued skills? Does the fact we're in the EU mean any unskilled EU national can come here to claim benefits? If this is the case, surely all EU benefits should be the same (inflation adjusted) so that it is not profitable to visit other countries whilst jobless just to receive generous benefits?????
The freedom of movement laws don't apply if you're jobless.

"To be fully covered by the European right of free movement, the EEA citizen needs to exercise one of the four treaty rights:
working as an employee (this includes looking for work for a reasonable amount of time),
working as a self-employed person,
studying,
being self-sufficient or retired."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_2004/38/EC_on_the_right_to_move_and_reside_freely

In practice EU states don't tend to interrogate other EU member citizens on why they're entering the country, so I could easily go to live in another state without proving self sufficiency (as indeed I have done several times). If I then tried to claim benefits it would be up to that government as to how to deal with me, but they'd not have any obligation to support me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Kinda hard to get a job in a country you don't even live in.
Reply 5
Well we're in a recession, the more unemployed who enter, the poorer we come as our GDP per capita will decrease!
Reply 6
Original post by MancStudent098
In practice EU states don't tend to interrogate other EU member citizens on why they're entering the country, so I could easily go to live in another state without proving self sufficiency (as indeed I have done several times). If I then tried to claim benefits it would be up to that government as to how to deal with me, but they'd not have any obligation to support me.

Then this is completely stupid.

The EU only seems to benefit the crap eastern block countries! How has it benefited us? We could trade with the EU through the EFTA!
Reply 7
It depends on each person. Let me explain and sorry about my spelling mistakes.

I'm spanish and I'm in my last year of my university degree I've been thinking about what to do now so I thought about doing an internship in a foreign country such as UK. Because of that my university (in Spain) has a schoolarship in order to make easy this project.
This is a way to improve our CV, knowledge, idiom, met new people...

So IMO it depends on each person :smile:
Reply 8
Erm... How exactly are you supposed to take your job with you? Pretty sure Ryanair doesn't allocate any extra space for it.
If this is the case, surely all EU benefits should be the same (inflation adjusted) so that it is not profitable to visit other countries whilst jobless just to receive generous benefits????

This sounds like an excellent idea. I will suggest it to the European Commission.

Brussels should set benefit rates not individual countries. Britain should have the same rates as Germany.
Being in the EU allows the freedom of movement of labour, not just any Tom, Dick or Harry.

In theory.
Reply 11
Well we're in a recession, the more unemployed who enter, the poorer we come as our GDP per capita will decrease!

I totally agree with you dude.
My family moved to England in 2001 and i believe that we have contributed to this society by paying our share amount of tax (My mums in the 45% income tax bracket).
I don't like how the Eastern Europeans can just come over and claim benefits, the government is limiting the number or people it allows to come in from outside of EU but i think the real problem is the number of people that are coming in from the EU.

No party currently wants to take this issue up in-case they get branded "racist"
Original post by bahjat93
I totally agree with you dude.
My family moved to England in 2001 and i believe that we have contributed to this society by paying our share amount of tax (My mums in the 45% income tax bracket).
I don't like how the Eastern Europeans can just come over and claim benefits, the government is limiting the number or people it allows to come in from outside of EU but i think the real problem is the number of people that are coming in from the EU.

No party currently wants to take this issue up in-case they get branded "racist"

Or because only working EU citizens are allowed to live anywhere, so there is no problem of Europeans coming here and claiming benefits.
There are two Stigmatisms: "Coming over here stealing our jobs"
And now we are in a recession
"Coming over here stealing our benefits"
Both are false.
Thur tckin ur juurrrrbs!!!!!
Reply 14
Original post by marshymarsh
Or because only working EU citizens are allowed to live anywhere, so there is no problem of Europeans coming here and claiming benefits.
There are two Stigmatisms: "Coming over here stealing our jobs"
And now we are in a recession
"Coming over here stealing our benefits"
Both are false.

I think the only one that is false it the "Coming over here stealing our jobs"

How many people from Eastern Europeans have you seen in professional carriers like Economists, Engineers, Doctors?
1 in every 1million
Reply 15
Why are we basically allowing people to enter this country who have no work? Which retard allowed this?

Why are we not only allowing people who have highly-valued skills? Does the fact we're in the EU mean any unskilled EU national can come here to claim benefits? If this is the case, surely all EU benefits should be the same (inflation adjusted) so that it is not profitable to visit other countries whilst jobless just to receive generous benefits????

Is this another disadvantages to belonging to the EU??

Yes I think so. No point ranting on TSR, it would be better if you talked to a Mr Cameron/Ms May.......

How many people from Eastern Europeans have you seen in professional carriers like Economists, Engineers, Doctors?
1 in every 1million

The issue isn't professional careers... It's with the basic jobs in supermarkets, garages, and the like.

Put bluntly, there's not enough jobs to go around everyone in England. There are people in England who'd gladly do jobs that immigrants do. We have a large immigrant force that comes here to work.

The "they're taking our jobs!" spiel used to be crap, until there was a shortage of jobs and you couldn't find something despite asking in every shop in your city.
Reply 17

1 in every 1million

While they do no doubt contest for jobs, many of the jobs they do because UK citizens dont want to do them. They would rather sit at home than earn minimum wage, so what do you expect to happen? Someone else does the job and the guy sat at home complains about it.
Reply 18

1 in every 1million

I know quite a few. there are also thousands of students from EE at unis in the UK. so better get used to the fact that there is more than 1 in every 1million of them in professional careers (yes, careers not carriers).
Come on UKIP! Come on UKIP!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending