The Student Room Group

I don't know where I sit with Syria

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Aj12
Well witnesses on the ground were the ones saying it was a militia affiliated with the regime that carried out the Houla massacre. Whilst these reports should be treated with some scepticism if everyone who saw it claimed it was the regime that did it its difficult to believe anyone else could have been responsible

I've heard conflicting reports thought. I have heard that the men were dressed in military uniform and I have heard that they were masked and not wearing uniform. We know what story the general mainstream media believes and so of course they are going to pick the reports favourable to their general position. I've heard reports that the men spoke with Alawite dialects, but also I have heard reports that it was mostly Alawite people that were killed. Then again I have also heard that they were Sunni and that the attackers came from the direction of Alawite dominated villages.

It is not exactly impossible to believe that a dictator would attack his own people to secure his position but I still find it hard to believe that with the whole international community busting his balls, Assad would be so reckless as to allow massacres such as these. When I make this point, the only real response I get is along the lines of "well he is a murderous dictator and so he doesnt think like a logical person" which I always find a bit lacking. But yeah, I havent made my mind up really on the Syria thing, and I find it difficult to considering the level of misinformation coming from our media, the opposition and of course Assad's government itself and also its allies.
Reply 61
Original post by rawkus
I'm getting a bit annoyed now that nearly every time I post on here, people reply to points I havent actually made. I agree that recording such horror shows the world what, to an extent, is happening. I never said otherwise. I was instead disgusted at the way in which the bodies were treated. Instead of panning the camera across the corpses, they were picked up and shaken about as if they were of a doll as opposed to innocent children who had been caught up in a conflict that they had no participation in.

I agree with your first sentence though. Note how as soon as reports filtered of the massacre, certain leaders were using it as proof of Assad's crimes despite no real clarification having been made as to who was responsible at that time.

I get your point entirely but you need to understand that the people recording it are those who are affected by it directly. We ourselves are feeling great sympathy to the casualties, yet we are not even Syrian, Arab or closely related at all. Do you think that those who are recording would feel any less sympathy, disgust and horror? It is their way of showing the rest of the world what is happening, certainly not less disrespectful. What might have appeared as disrespectful is probably just the mental panic of the time; the outrage that needs to be shown for the rest of the world.

And to clarify about the situation I believe, and it is very widely assumed even by the Russians, that they were committed by Pro-Assad militants rather than ordered directly by Assad. The question thus remains not if Assad is ordering massacres but if Assad is exerting enough of his influence to stop the killings. I believe much violence would stop if he took a direct and strong stand against such acts. Unfortunately he hasn't done so yet and simply blamed it on the other side. (both sides are doing this btw, which is very regrettable)
Reply 62
It definitely is connected to Iraq. Having a strong Shia dominated government in Iraq doesn't sit well with several powers in the Middle east and in other continents. That explains why the Iraqi PM Maliki supports the Syrian regime.
Reply 63
pshttt ,it does really annoy me when i see people saying "its not our problem " ,yeah sure you wouldn't be saying this if you live a second of what these innocent people are going through ,some of you on here need to see horrifying youtube videos of what's happening in Syria right now ,then i dare to write your bull**** again ,last week 99 kids were killed !how would you feel if that was your brother or your child ??
Reply 64
I'd say at least bring the UN in so that it could at least be resolved peacefully.
Reply 65
Original post by zedbrar
I can't comprehend how people can say 'not our problem'?

I mean, that is exactly the same attitude people took during the Rwandan genocide. They shrugged it off until it became too late and 20% of the country were killed. When mass amounts of people are being killed, one should not just ignore it.

This. You are speaking so much sense, friend. I just don't understand how people can see such graphic images of children being killed and simply shrug it off. Sigh, what happened to unity and merely caring for one another?
Reply 66
Original post by M4LLY
I'd say at least bring the UN in so that it could at least be resolved peacefully.

There are 'UN observers'
Reply 67
Original post by s_axo
There are 'UN observers'

Observed merely observe. The next step is to bring in a UN mandated peacekeeping force, not at all different than that sent to theatres such as Kosovo. But only as a last resort and when even Russia knows that the Assad regime completely failed with its attempt to maintain stability.
Reply 68
Original post by Brandmon
Observed merely observe. The next step is to bring in a UN mandated peacekeeping force, not at all different than that sent to theatres such as Kosovo. But only as a last resort and when even Russia knows that the Assad regime completely failed with its attempt to maintain stability.

Yes, it does seem that the UN observers are hardly having a great effect. However, waiting a peacekeeping force until it is a 'last resort' just does not seem right; especially when more and more people are being killed.
Reply 69
I know for some people this is 'just' a petition,but I've seen a lot of the amazing things Avaaz has done:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/syria_will_the_world_look_away_c/?cl=1839302994&v=14764
Reply 70
TH west wont step in the only reason it intervened in libya was it felt the middle east would begin to embrace democracy, now that Islamist have been elected in the countries, the west relaliases helping Syria would only be digging its own grave.

By "Liberating" syria the west would only be cropping up more enemies for the itself.
Reply 71
Original post by rawkus
I've heard conflicting reports thought. I have heard that the men were dressed in military uniform and I have heard that they were masked and not wearing uniform. We know what story the general mainstream media believes and so of course they are going to pick the reports favourable to their general position. I've heard reports that the men spoke with Alawite dialects, but also I have heard reports that it was mostly Alawite people that were killed. Then again I have also heard that they were Sunni and that the attackers came from the direction of Alawite dominated villages.

It is not exactly impossible to believe that a dictator would attack his own people to secure his position but I still find it hard to believe that with the whole international community busting his balls, Assad would be so reckless as to allow massacres such as these. When I make this point, the only real response I get is along the lines of "well he is a murderous dictator and so he doesnt think like a logical person" which I always find a bit lacking. But yeah, I havent made my mind up really on the Syria thing, and I find it difficult to considering the level of misinformation coming from our media, the opposition and of course Assad's government itself and also its allies.

I doubt Assad personally ordered it. I doubt he called in a group of thugs and said go and murder a hundred women and children. But he allowed it to happen. He let these thugs loose and clearly he has told his army to put down the resistance by any means necessary, I doubt he personally signed off on every massacre or even any of them but he is responsible for the forces he has let let loose on the civilians in his country.

I find it very easy to believe the level of brutality being carried out in the country that the opposition are talking about. Think about it Assad has seen that every dictator that compromised or let up against protesters like in Tunisia and Egypt has had to leave in exile or has been put on trial. Assad likely thinks his only option is to put down the rebellion insurgency protests whatever you like to call it with force. He saw his father do it and it worked for him so no doubt Assad thinks he can do the same. Your right though you can't just say he is doing this because he's an evil dictator. He's doing it because it worked in the past and is his only way to keep power. At least thats how I see it.
Reply 72
Original post by s_axo
Yes, it does seem that the UN observers are hardly having a great effect. However, waiting a peacekeeping force until it is a 'last resort' just does not seem right; especially when more and more people are being killed.

People are being killed everywhere; Somalia, Sudan, Colombia etc. Merely intervening just because of casualties is short-sighted. You actually need to be sure that the peacekeeping would actually be effective as most of the time it wouldn't. In this case if just a NATO force tried to enforce peace, then the Assad regime could simply rally his people against what is pretty much an Imperialist invasion. But if he is not only abandoned by his Russian allies, but the Russians themselves are involved in a peacekeeping mission, then their reaction would be much less resistant. And indeed if peacekeeping means keeping their Mediterranean base, then the Russian would be more than cooperative. Such a case would be not too different than how the Russians were involved in KFOR and other Yugoslav task-forces. (The Russians themselves had massive influence with the Serbs as their traditional protector).

Original post by akash11
TH west wont step in the only reason it intervened in libya was it felt the middle east would begin to embrace democracy, now that Islamist have been elected in the countries, the west relaliases helping Syria would only be digging its own grave.

By "Liberating" syria the west would only be cropping up more enemies for the itself.

Islam itself had never been an enemy to the West. Only that the west had made enemies of certain factions of Islam. Hence why it enjoyed a de-facto alliance with Saudi Arabia - the most ardently Islamic of all nations.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
It's pretty simple: evil dictator rules a country (I think no one here is under the illusion that Assad is a democratic, altruistic statesman), has a terrible reputation and after the Arab spring started, dubious islamists and criminals hijacked peaceful demonstrations to wage their own war on the regime which, due to its (rightfully) bad reputation, is an easy target for the media.

Who is on the bad side? Both Assad as well as the militant opposition.
Who is on the good side? No one.

Who is left suffering? The people who initially wanted to initiate a peaceful change.
Reply 74
Original post by akash11
"Islam itself has never been an enemy to the west". :ahee: Islam and the west have been fighting for over a mellieium and yes its Islam the aggressor, no it not Islam mistranslated or "taken out of context" its the real islam. In-fact Islam is an an enemy to all people who are not Muslim, just take a look at its history.

The West has been fighting Islam? Since when did any of us live for a thousand years to identify ourselves as the West? Some moronic religious extremist monarch a thousand years ago sent countless men to the Middle East in order to fight over a piece of land that was holy. Yet apparently we need to maintain the fight? Why? Tradition? Islam is the aggressor, despite the fact that we were murdering Arabs in the Middle East a good 500 years before the Ottoman Empire returned the favour in the Balkans and the Austrian borders. It is a meaningless conflict, fought over a meaningless reason in the name of a deity that simply doesn't exist anyway.

No western country should start pointless hostilities with any Muslim countries, especially out of fear of Muslim democracy (as opposed to our own Christian democracy). And in turn no Muslim country would start hostilities with us. That people can't realise the fact as self evident is simply pathetic.
Reply 75
[QUOTE="Brandmon;37898196"]

No western country should start pointless hostilities with any Muslim countries, especially out of fear of Muslim democracy (as opposed to our own Christian democracy). And in turn no Muslim country would start hostilities with us. That people can't realise the fact as self evident is simply pathetic.

The general fear of the west would more be to do with muslim Theocracy e.g Iran than any Muslim Democracy e.g. Tunisia because in Theocracies you have Religious fundamentalists in control of the state, In Iran's case on the verge of acquiring a nuclear weapon - religious fundamentalists with a nuke, when these people harbour literal beliefs about the end of the world and the return of the messiah it is dangerous them having their fingers on the button no? And have we the west of yet ever declared war on the Entire population of a Muslim country, no we declared war on The Taliban, who in Afghanistan sheltered international terrorists of alkieda and ruled by fear and oppression. The Enemy is the fundamentalist - and what will be seen by them as grounds for hostilities will be such things as educating woman, maintaining a religiously plural society - so if you want avoid hostilities with these people, we the west will have to capitulate a lot before they are happy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 76
Original post by Sir Fox
It's pretty simple: evil dictator rules a country (I think no one here is under the illusion that Assad is a democratic, altruistic statesman), has a terrible reputation and after the Arab spring started, dubious islamists and criminals hijacked peaceful demonstrations to wage their own war on the regime which, due to its (rightfully) bad reputation, is an easy target for the media.

Who is on the bad side? Both Assad as well as the militant opposition.
Who is on the good side? No one.

Who is left suffering? The people who initially wanted to initiate a peaceful change.
This is exactly my opinion on the conflict. The west along with the Gulf states is backing the rebels to seize a geopolitical advantage that Russia, China and Iran are desperate to not lose. This is why balance has gone out the window. Unfortunately I don't think there is any peaceful outcome to this situation for Syrian civilians, we're now in a position where either the dictatorship stays or the country falls under Islamist rule or even worse, a lengthy civil war.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Fatfis
The general fear of the west would more be to do with muslim Theocracy e.g Iran than any Muslim Democracy e.g. Tunisia because in Theocracies you have Religious fundamentalists in control of the state, In Iran's case on the verge of acquiring a nuclear weapon - religious fundamentalists with a nuke, when these people harbour literal beliefs about the end of the world and the return of the messiah it is dangerous them having their fingers on the button no? And have we the west of yet ever declared war on the Entire population of a Muslim country, no we declared war on The Taliban, who in Afghanistan sheltered international terrorists of alkieda and ruled by fear and oppression. The Enemy is the fundamentalist - and what will be seen by them as grounds for hostilities will be such things as educating woman, maintaining a religiously plural society - so if you want avoid hostilities with these people, we the west will have to capitulate a lot before they are happy.

The problem is simply that people are too ignorant to know what the enemy is. Of course we need to completely oppose any fundamentalism. Yet some people are too ignorant to differentiate between genuine Muslims and extremists Muslims, so they consider all Muslims as the enemy. Which is not only wrong, it is also counter-productive since it starts alienating those Muslims who are actually reasonable and simply gives the extremists another ally.
Reply 78
Original post by Brandmon
The problem is simply that people are too ignorant to know what the enemy is. Of course we need to completely oppose any fundamentalism. Yet some people are too ignorant to differentiate between genuine Muslims and extremists Muslims, so they consider all Muslims as the enemy. Which is not only wrong, it is also counter-productive since it starts alienating those Muslims who are actually reasonable and simply gives the extremists another ally.

I would agree, such opinions are detrimental to elimination of fundamentalism when we lump cultures together in a form of Racism, but this excludes genuine critiques that must be made Of Islam as a faith - while a different issue it is Important not to bend over backwards out of fear of offence and rallying Muslims to the fundamentalists so we may criticise where it is due.

Original post by Fatfis

There is absolutely no evidence something like this will happen. This begun as a democratic movement and the Syrian rebels are the most pro-western and democratic out of any of the revolutionaries come out of the Arab Spring. This seems to be a case of 'oh they're Muslim they must be pro-theocracy' when there's no evidence to suggest this is the case. Also highly hypocritical considering Britain has a theocratic head of state who we're currently celebrating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending