How much have you spent on prom?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by i<3cats69
i think the cost of my whole outfit was £2943 :/

WOAH :eek: how did you even manage that? :tongue:
Dress £115
Bag £50
Shoes £22
(I've already worn the whole outfit for something, and I'll use it again)
Hair £30
Transport £7
Prom ticket £30
Original post by mandi21
How can any of you justify spending the amount of money you have or are for a couple of hours?!
I'm not trying to come across rude but I honestly don't know how people are spending all this money?

I bought my suit for weddings/job interviews/Forces events etc, so i could justify paying lots for the suit
tumblr_m4bjliQMXI1qmpdmdo1_500.jpg
travelled in that, for free :smile:
Reply 84
My ticket was £35 and I haven't bought anything else yet. :colondollar: I can't seem to find I dress I like, but I will probably nick a pair of my mum's shoes.

Knowing me, I'll probably end up getting to bus to the hotel because I am proper classy! And to see the faces of the people on there seeing some girl in a ball gown. :rolleyes:
Original post by somac
I understand where you're coming from , I don't want to seem like I'm making excuses but I have always paid fully for school trips etc. and my parents both work however the school offered me the funding to go to prom and as we are always struggling moneywise I accepted it.

you don't have to justify yourself to that idiot, the reality is that whatever the school pays for your prom ticket (and the few others who won't be able to afford theirs) is an INCREDIBLY small percentage of the government's money which the school has chosen to spend in this way.

enjoy your prom, you'll have a lovely time :smile:
Was quite a few years ago but I spent £20 on my dress lol it was from a bridal shop and they had a whole rail of bridesmaidy/prom dresses they were trying to get rid of. I bought two dresses, both 20 quid, one was reduced from 275, the other was originally 215. My shoes were £30 from a different bridal shop and my bag was vintage and given to me by my mum. There are ways around spending hundreds of pounds on your proms without compromising on quality. You just have to shop around a little bit.
About 80 Pounds.
Original post by . .
Yes it should be spent of free school meals and educational trips to supplement your education.
Not on prom.

Couldn't agree more!
Original post by Bellissima
you don't have to justify yourself to that idiot, the reality is that whatever the school pays for your prom ticket (and the few others who won't be able to afford theirs) is an INCREDIBLY small percentage of the government's money which the school has chosen to spend in this way.

enjoy your prom, you'll have a lovely time :smile:

It's simpletons like you who are too narrow-minded to possibly conceive the economic mess that this country is in. At a time when nurses and teachers are being made redundant it is incredibly foolish of you to consider it right that the taxpayer should fund 90% of someone's school prom! People suggest that it is unjust not to fund it, as the disadvantaged individuals will miss out, but these people really ought to wake up and realise how fortunate they are; many children in the world are sent off to work at the age of 9!

You are evidently a total moron with no understanding of the world around you; it would do you a lot of good to realise how privileged every child who is fortunate enough to have an education is! Wake up and open your eyes!
Reply 90
Swear there is somebody going around negging everyone haha.
Agreed ^ :L

My dress is £150. My prom ticket is £40. I'm not sure about the rest yet.
Reply 92
Original post by recurring500
It's simpletons like you who are too narrow-minded to possibly conceive the economic mess that this country is in. At a time when nurses and teachers are being made redundant it is incredibly foolish of you to consider it right that the taxpayer should fund 90% of someone's school prom! People suggest that it is unjust not to fund it, as the disadvantaged individuals will miss out, but these people really ought to wake up and realise how fortunate they are; many children in the world are sent off to work at the age of 9!

You are evidently a total moron with no understanding of the world around you; it would do you a lot of good to realise how privileged every child who is fortunate enough to have an education is! Wake up and open your eyes!

I know i said i'd leave it at that, but your attitude stinks.
Everyone else but you is narrow minded? Grow up.
Plus, why are you constantly comparing us to those in the 3rd world? The discussion isn't about foreign aid you know.

If you feel so strongly about it, post a thread on it somewhere else, and stop hijacking this one.
Original post by recurring500

they are funding 90% of a TICKET. what is that? like £20 (according to all these people here who seemed to have extortionate prom ticket prices :s-smilie: ours were £10) per person who isn't able to pay... i doubt there would be many who fall into that category. that's a tiny amount compared to the money each school recieves... and a minute percentage of the total amount of money the government has.

maybe you should start looking at all the other areas where the government wastes huge amounts of money rather than begrudging a school giving small change to a 15/16 year old so they can have the same experience as their friends... most of which will probably be covered by the other students tickets anyway.
Reply 94
Well said Bellissima. Small things like that make a difference.

BRING ON THE NEGS
Reply 95
Original post by JLXP
I bought my suit for weddings/job interviews/Forces events etc, so i could justify paying lots for the suit

Yeah a suit is fair enough you can wear that for many occasions. :smile:
My comment was mainly aimed at dresses as some dresses will not be suitable for a lot of other events especially the ones you just mentioned.
Reply 96
What i say: Oh i spent about £150 on to whole lot dress, hair, make-up, shoes and the ticket. Can't wait to go it's gonna be great:biggrin:
What i really mean: £3:50 down the local kebab shop and £2:20 on ben and jerry's(it's on offer) gonna watch a chick flick
God i need to get out more......
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97
they are funding 90% of a TICKET. what is that? like £20 (according to all these people here who seemed to have extortionate prom ticket prices :s-smilie: ours were £10) per person who isn't able to pay... i doubt there would be many who fall into that category. that's a tiny amount compared to the money each school recieves... and a minute percentage of the total amount of money the government has.

maybe you should start looking at all the other areas where the government wastes huge amounts of money rather than begrudging a school giving small change to a 15/16 year old so they can have the same experience as their friends... most of which will probably be covered by the other students tickets anyway.

A couple of £££'s here a couple there it adds up. It still doesn't detract from the fact that the money could be used elsewhere in society, somewhere it would be more beneficial.
Just because the government wastes money elsewhere doesn't make wasting money on things like prom which is luxury justified.
Original post by . .
A couple of £££'s here a couple there it adds up. It still doesn't detract from the fact that the money could be used elsewhere in society, somewhere it would be more beneficial.
Just because the government wastes money elsewhere doesn't make wasting money on things like prom which is luxury justified.

it's not about prom it's about the people involved.

it's all good saying "this could be spent elsewhere"... but the reality is it wouldn't. that money is allocated to schools to help children who need financial help. they are not going to go in and monitor what each school spends it on for each child, the bureaucracy would cost more than the trivial amount they would gain.
Reply 99
it's not about prom it's about the people involved.

it's all good saying "this could be spent elsewhere"... but the reality is it wouldn't. that money is allocated to schools to help children who need financial help. they are not going to go in and monitor what each school spends it on for each child, the bureaucracy would cost more than the trivial amount they would gain.

The money is given to schools to help children that need financial help with educational trips, school meals and other similar things. Not proms.
Of course they are not going to monitor schools I never said they should. But that doesn't mean they should just go and spend the money on things which are not really needed. The school could keep the money spend it on equipment or old books which will be much more beneficial to the wider society and economy.

Quick Reply

Latest