The Student Room Group

A2 Lang/Lit - Is this a metaphor or a similie or both?

This is driving me a little crazy so thought I'd just post on here to get confirmation haha.

In Wuthering Heights, Heathcliff says (about Edgar) :

"Cathy, this lamb of yours threatens like a bull!"

What exactly is this?

Because the man Heathcliff is referring to is definitely a man, not a lamb, so in that sense it's a metaphor. But he's saying he threatens like a bull, so that is a similie? Right?

Is there an actual term for this? Or am I thinking in to this way too much?
A simile is a metaphor, however not all metaphors are similes so you are thinking about it too much. Keep it basic or you'll end up confusing yourself.
I do A2 English lit. :smile:
Heathcliff is basically saying (though I've never read the text) that Edgar appears to be a "lamb" when he "threatens like a bull". Therefore, there is a metaphor-- Edgar being the lamb, but also a similie in comparing him to threaten like a bull. My guess is that he is saying that although Edgar seems gentle on the surface, he has the capability to pose a serious threat to other characters and bring destruction yadda yadda yadda. (I may have the total wrong end of the stick here, as I've never managed to get through the first ten pages of Wuthering Heights!)

Bit of both really, I think you were right in the first place. Not sure if there is a technical term for the use of both words, but I agree, best not to overthink things, you'll only confuse yourself. :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you both!
Reply 4
I think the metaphor is Heathcliff describing Edgar as a lamb, and the simile is the description of the action of "threatening" :smile: Hope that helps :smile: in short, there's both there :tongue:

What exam board are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending