University of York
York

York Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by RyanAAustin
Subject: Politics & Philosophy
GCSE: 3A* 6A 2B
AS Level: Politics A [199/200], Law A [173/200], Religious Studies A [167/200], History B, General Studies B
A2 Level Predictions: Politics A*, Law A*, Religious Studies A*, EPQ A, General Studies B
Extras: Advisor at Vinspired [The National Young Volunteers Service] | Advisor at Rethink Mental Illness | Youth Public Services Inspector at Central Bedfordshire Council | Political Writer at Catch 21 Productions | Training Associate at National Children's Bureau | Youth Member of Parliament | Editor of schools political newsletter | Coordinator of a childrens summer camp | Technician at local church | On organising committee for local fireworks display | Technician at local community cinema | Volunteer at a local youth club | Doing an EPQ in the Titanic | Taking part in a national mock trial law competition | Write a blog | Form mentor to year 9's | Work at Waitrose

Might sound a bit stalkerish but Ampthill/Flitwick? I'm from North Bedfordshire.. A mate of mine is taking part in the law competition also. Good luck!
University of York
York
Reply 101
Original post by Sarr

So nervous now though seeing people getting offers for English..

Same here. I've got to the point where I think I'm going to stop looking at TSR, facebook etc. because every time I see anyone else with an offer I feel my chances dwindle.
Original post by Sarr
I'm applying for English Lit too - where else have you two applied? :biggrin:

Oxford, Durham, Leeds and Newcastle. I got an offer from Leeds on Friday.
Reply 103
Original post by Kimiechi
Oxford, Durham, Leeds and Newcastle. I got an offer from Leeds on Friday.

Congratulations! They're rolling in for you now :smile:

I just read this then got an email from Leeds- buuuut it was just an acknowledgement..

Which Durham college have you applied to? I've applied for St Mary's :smile:
Original post by Sarr
Congratulations! They're rolling in for you now :smile:

I just read this then got an email from Leeds- buuuut it was just an acknowledgement..

Which Durham college have you applied to? I've applied for St Mary's :smile:

I know right! Two in as many days, I was like wow!! :P

Aww, got your hopes up there :/ but if they've only just received it then it'll take a little while for them to come to a decision

St Chad's :smile:
Just got an offer for Politics and International Relations - it's made me deliriously happy.
Reply 106
Just got an offer for English!! So did another girl in my school, so I guess they just sent out a batch :smile:
Reply 107
Does anyone know how to log onto the "Chemistry@York" site? I can't figure out what I'm supposed to use as my username or password... :confused:
Original post by EllyR
Does anyone know how to log onto the "Chemistry@York" site? I can't figure out what I'm supposed to use as my username or password... :confused:

When I applied last year, I had an email sent to me with a username and password. You can change your password later so don't worry about that.

Should you choose to actually study at York, you'll keep the same username and your new password for the entire duration of your study. :smile:
If you come here, you lot are going to have a lot of fun. I'm a first year. Any Questions - just ask!

Politics is brilliant. The first three lectures of the International Relations module are: Hitler, Gorbachev and Xiaoping. Can't beat it.
Original post by Eboracum
If you come here, you lot are going to have a lot of fun. I'm a first year. Any Questions - just ask!

Politics is brilliant. The first three lectures of the International Relations module are: Hitler, Gorbachev and Xiaoping. Can't beat it.

What college are you at? Derwent for me. :biggrin:
Original post by Holby_fanatic
What college are you at? Derwent for me. :biggrin:

So you are applying to Derwent for next year?

I am in James College catered. I love having my dinners made for me as I can't cook. I spend most of my time in Derwent as that's where the Politics department is. Every day almost, I venture to those parts.

What will you be studying? And why Derwent?
So you are applying to Derwent for next year?

I am in James College catered. I love having my dinners made for me as I can't cook. I spend most of my time in Derwent as that's where the Politics department is. Every day almost, I venture to those parts.

What will you be studying? And why Derwent?

I'm a first year Chemist. :smile: I was just wondering what college you were in, haha! I could NEVER do catered!

GO FOR DERWENT GUYS, YOU'LL HAVE THE BEST TIME!
I'm a first year Chemist. :smile: I was just wondering what college you were in, haha! I could NEVER do catered!

GO FOR DERWENT GUYS, YOU'LL HAVE THE BEST TIME!

Oh you are here now. Fair enough. Derwent sucks. This city is ours :tongue:

I know in general the consensus is that people don't want catered. But I can't for the life of me understand why. There's nothing better than coming home after a tiring day of lectures to be able to choose between three or four delicious meals. And breakfast every morning. Tomorrow, I get my arse out of better, walk 2 minutes and then get a lovely fry up.

Honestly. When my email came in at 4:30PM on that day I feared the worst. Then when I realised James Catered was still left I was thrilled!
Oh you are here now. Fair enough. Derwent sucks. This city is ours :tongue:

I know in general the consensus is that people don't want catered. But I can't for the life of me understand why. There's nothing better than coming home after a tiring day of lectures to be able to choose between three or four delicious meals. And breakfast every morning. Tomorrow, I get my arse out of better, walk 2 minutes and then get a lovely fry up.

Honestly. When my email came in at 4:30PM on that day I feared the worst. Then when I realised James Catered was still left I was thrilled!

Woah now! Derwent may look like a complete hell-hole (except D Block. D Block is the place to be) but there's no need to insult us like that. :tongue:
In all honesty though, if you guys want to go to York and live in accommodation that looks nice from the outside, then I probably would recommend somewhere like James, but if you want the social interaction with 19 people on your floor, then Derwent is your place. :smile:

I'm just too fussy to go for catered, but I completely understand why it is becoming more popular. You must have so much free time during the evenings because you don't have to be slaving away over a stove for an hour, haha.
Woah now! Derwent may look like a complete hell-hole (except D Block. D Block is the place to be) but there's no need to insult us like that. :tongue:
In all honesty though, if you guys want to go to York and live in accommodation that looks nice from the outside, then I probably would recommend somewhere like James, but if you want the social interaction with 19 people on your floor, then Derwent is your place. :smile:

I'm just too fussy to go for catered, but I completely understand why it is becoming more popular. You must have so much free time during the evenings because you don't have to be slaving away over a stove for an hour, haha.

I'm only joking Chemist! Haha. You know, inter-college rivalry and all that. The one I like the least is Vanbrugh. That's not individuals, just I've seen them on nights out and they are far too mad for me, we are quite civilised here in James, at least here in B Block anyway.

Every college has it's accommodation to avoid. Ours is N Block which was part of the old Goodricke. I'd also avoid Hes East, I know its new, but it's out of the way and a bit like a lonely hotel complex.

We have very good "social interaction" here also in James.

So how are you finding the studying? And do you like the campus?
I'm only joking Chemist! Haha. You know, inter-college rivalry and all that. The one I like the least is Vanbrugh. That's not individuals, just I've seen them on nights out and they are far too mad for me, we are quite civilised here in James, at least here in B Block anyway.

Every college has it's accommodation to avoid. Ours is N Block which was part of the old Goodricke. I'd also avoid Hes East, I know its new, but it's out of the way and a bit like a lonely hotel complex.

We have very good "social interaction" here also in James.

So how are you finding the studying? And do you like the campus?

Vanbrugh are our arch enemies and I really don't know why. :colondollar: And Goodricke is the equivalent of Hufflepuff, so I wouldn't really recommend it.

At Derwent, D block don't mix with C block (not since they threw eggs all over our kitchen floor anyway). I haven't been to Hes East yet, but it does look a bit bare. I'm told the gym is good though, so if that's your thing you should love it!

There's just more people per block in Derwent. :smile:

I had my first full day in the labs and I came home and cried. Everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong. But apart from that, it's been fine so far. And the campus is really nice, but I did get lost last week, haha. How are you finding it, Mr Politician? :smile:
I think everyone hates Vanbrugh. I've seen them on nights out singing "Vanbrugh till I die" and all that nonsense. What is Derwent known for? Apart from being the department where the future Prime Minister studies in :cool: Here at James we are the "international college" and also the "sport college".

That's a good one...eggs on the floor. We had an incident in another one of the blocks, where they ran in and stole the microwave as there's was knackered. I heard the following night they went back and attempted the fridge, but they didn't get away with that one.

Derwent has some catered if I am correct? We have 16 per block here in James.

I love the campus, it's great walking round the lake and central hall to get to Derwent every day. I find the course very enjoyable, but there is a bloody lot of reading!

I'm off to bed, nice talking to you Welsh girl (another one?). We'll pick this up tomorrow, Night! :tongue:
I think everyone hates Vanbrugh. I've seen them on nights out singing "Vanbrugh till I die" and all that nonsense. What is Derwent known for? Apart from being the department where the future Prime Minister studies in :cool: Here at James we are the "international college" and also the "sport college".

That's a good one...eggs on the floor. We had an incident in another one of the blocks, where they ran in and stole the microwave as there's was knackered. I heard the following night they went back and attempted the fridge, but they didn't get away with that one.

Derwent has some catered if I am correct? We have 16 per block here in James.

I love the campus, it's great walking round the lake and central hall to get to Derwent every day. I find the course very enjoyable, but there is a bloody lot of reading!

I'm off to bed, nice talking to you Welsh girl (another one?). We'll pick this up tomorrow, Night! :tongue:

Derwent has a chant that claims you are a **** if you're not a part of the college. :tongue: We are known for being the most social college and the most outgoing. We are also beginning to be recognised as the most charitable. :smile:

Yeah, it wasn't good cleaning it up. Haha, somehow I'm not surprised they didn't get the fridge, although I'm sure they put in such an effort!

Yep. Blocks E, F, G and H are catered. But half of the fun is having a kitchen disaster, (like my lasagne last week). And per block, you can expect around 60 students, so that's where we become more socially interactive.

The lake is so pretty! The ducks can be vicious sometimes though so if any of you York hopefuls do come on a visit day, don't try and feed them. They bite. :frown: I have 4 people doing Politics on my floor (2 are doing PPE, 1 is doing Politics and Philosophy and the other is just doing straight Politics). I am amazed at the difference in contact hours we have. A Chemist can expect to have around 22 contact hours a week (this is including a full day in the labs) whereas you guys have so much less!

There's another Welsh girl? Point me in her direction please! I feel so alone as I am yet to meet another Welsh person, male or female. Good night, college rival! :tongue:
Derwent has a chant that claims you are a **** if you're not a part of the college. :tongue: We are known for being the most social college and the most outgoing. We are also beginning to be recognised as the most charitable. :smile:

Yeah, it wasn't good cleaning it up. Haha, somehow I'm not surprised they didn't get the fridge, although I'm sure they put in such an effort!

Yep. Blocks E, F, G and H are catered. But half of the fun is having a kitchen disaster, (like my lasagne last week). And per block, you can expect around 60 students, so that's where we become more socially interactive.

The lake is so pretty! The ducks can be vicious sometimes though so if any of you York hopefuls do come on a visit day, don't try and feed them. They bite. :frown: I have 4 people doing Politics on my floor (2 are doing PPE, 1 is doing Politics and Philosophy and the other is just doing straight Politics). I am amazed at the difference in contact hours we have. A Chemist can expect to have around 22 contact hours a week (this is including a full day in the labs) whereas you guys have so much less!

There's another Welsh girl? Point me in her direction please! I feel so alone as I am yet to meet another Welsh person, male or female. Good night, college rival! :tongue:

I'd dispute that claim. I've heard us called the most sociable and outgoing college.

We obviously have a different idea of what fun is. For me, I'm not really a food person - food is just hassle. I'd rather be a vampire and not have to eat to be honest. So I like minimum fuss, getting it made for me. We have catered Monday to Friday breakfast and dinner, so I get annoyed at weekends and sometimes at lunch time when I'm hungry. I can't be doing with cleaning up and cooking. For those reading this who agree, you should apply to Grey College at Durham University. You get 3 meals 7 days a week, and a packed lunch if you can't make it. My brother did it last year, what a dream! :colondollar:

Last night one of my housemates was cooking a late night egg and it exploded and went everywhere haha. What kind of things do you cook? I just do pasta and stuff at weekends.

When you say contact time, what do you mean? Do mean lectures and seminars, or just like office hours? We don't get that much thinking about it, most of Politics is about reading in your own time, which I did in the library till 11PM last night! :colondollar:

You make a good point on Ducks. I was given two very important pieces of advice by a second year when I started. One was don't sleep with your housemates as it gets awkward and causes fights, and two was don't feed the Ducks and all other birds around campus as they get very very violent. 2013 Freshers if you follow this advice you'll be fine.

I must say I am surprised. Two of my mates from Politics are Welsh, a girl in James I know is Welsh, and one of my housemates is Welsh. Although they all sound English. I fully expect all Welsh people to sound like Imogen Thomas or Bryn from Gavin and Stacey haha :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending