The Student Room Group

Is it wise to microwave bacon?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by py0alb
Dear TSR, can I microwaves a fillet steak? idiots answer here. thanks.

microwaving bacon ffs. what is wrong with people? microwaves are for defrosting and reheating, not cooking.

I'm still alive.
Reply 21
Original post by py0alb

microwaving bacon ffs. what is wrong with people? microwaves are for defrosting and reheating, not cooking.

Suppose you won't be purchasing one of these?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microwave-Cook-Book-Readers-Digest/dp/0863184820
Idiots we may be by judging by the massive selection of such books there's a hell of a lot of 'idiots' about.
Oh and before you say anything else I'm pretty good in the kitchen. And that's WITHOUT using a microwave.
Iron yourself some bacon!
[video="youtube;-DsPK7yOH70"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DsPK7yOH70[/video]
Yeesh, most of you people have seriously never microwaved bacon? It's literally the only way my family does it, and it makes bacon a lot crispier and less greasy...which is a good thing, in my opinion.

What to do:

We have this grease-catcher-thing. I honestly don't know the official name. It's basically like a plate, but with raised parallel lines all across it. It looks a lot like the second product on the link htlcy posted, but it's shaped a little differently.

Put two paper towels on top of the grease-cather-thing.
Put as many bacon slices as you can on top of that without overlapping them (number varies based on size of bacon slices).
Put two more layers of paper towels on top of that.
Microwave for at least 2 minutes, check the bacon and either take out or microwave more. Voila!
You have some bomb-ass tasting bacon.
Reply 24
YES! It tastes lovely. Weatherspoons microwave their bacon along with most other big chain pub's that offer breakfasts. Just make sure you do it in a special dish, you can buy the dishes cheaply at matalan . They also do lots of other dishes for example ones that you can microwave a fried egg in. It's also healthier than frying it as all the fat drips of. Happy munchies :smile::smile:
Reply 25
Original post by kate1212
Marco Pierre White says it's the best way :yes:

If Marco Pierre White says do it, don't do it.
Reply 26
It's fine to microwave but it does not taste anywhere near as good as grilled.

Grilled > fried > very big gap > microwaved
Reply 27
Original post by py0alb

i say young man you havent lived prob before you were born microwave cooking was all the rage my mum used to cook us her spag bol in it and famous chefs brought out microwave cook books . Its a wicked way to make desserts to ma used to make us apple crumble from scratch in her mean microwave and if you want to make a large amount of white sauce for a lasange then its quicker to do it it the microwave than it is with a electric whisk . Theres more to em than you think :wink::wink:
Reply 28
Original post by Frazeled
Weatherspoons microwave their bacon along with most other big chain pub's that offer breakfasts.

Which explains why it has the taste and texture of cardboard.

Seriously, you used the fact that Wetherspoons do it as a POSITIVE?
Reply 29
Original post by py0alb
Which explains why it has the taste and texture of cardboard.

Seriously, you used the fact that Wetherspoons do it as a POSITIVE?

yep i love it
Not really. But if it doesn't kill you, it would only make you stronger.
it is definitely safe, check it out here haha :microwave bacon
Reply 32
I don't think so!
You can, but it horrible, stick to a grill

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 34
I microwave bacon often, mainly due to the short time, convenience, and limited washing up. I can't really say I notice much of a difference from fried bacon (to be fair my entire family is notoriously crap at bacon frying) although I do much prefer the grilled variety given the choice. I certainly hope it's safe!

Bacon is bacon. You'd be hard pressed to make it taste bad.
Reply 35
Just about every restaurant does it at peak times. Granted when it is done in a commercial / industrial microwave you generally won't know the difference.
No it is stupid to microwave bacon.
What I find difficult to understand is why you all make your assertions without having a clue how a microwave works.
The microwave in question operates at 2.4Ghz which is the resonant frequency of water.
The microwave works by boiling the water content of anything that is put in.
Put in an empty dish and it doesn't heat up.
A very healthy way of cooking.
Not quite the workings of some witch doctor after all.
Original post by Bulbasaur
...if I can't fry/grill it? The packet doesn't say anything about microwaving it.

Nope mate. If the packet does not say then it is can't be microwaved. It might make you ill if you do .
I've microwaved bacon before and it was perfectly edible. I prefer my bacon crispy so it wasn't my favourite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest