The Student Room Group

Long-haired male teachers in secondary schools... will I be prejudged?

(edited 11 years ago)
No. Short hair for men but that's for me imo. :tongue:
Usually if you are good with students, they will like it and see it as a part of your idenity. Form my experience, long haired male teachers have been seen as cool :smile: as long as it's tied back or at least smart and professional (which you describe anyway) so you will be fine.

Good luck, I went to secondary school in Exeter! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Cut your hair, it reflects badly on you. You are an adult now, why are you still ''rebelling'' it isn't cool any more
Reply 4
Yes! I had 2 or 3 male teachers with long hair, one was very conservative and strict but walked around with a little pink bobble tying up his hair :smile:
As for interviews/schools minding, I don't know but you can ask when you get there.

so i think you will be fine, if you receive jibes you can make a lighthearted joke about it!
and good luck with your interview.
Reply 5
To be honest, I don't think long hair on blokes ever looks smart and professional (not that I've always had short hair!). We did have one long haired teacher at my school (RE as it happens), he didn't last long. Not sure if it was anything to do with the hair!
Reply 6
Original post by Straggler
My interview for PGCE Secondary RE at Exeter is ever-looming and I'm fretting over what I shouldn't be fretting so much about. I'm a bloke and I've sported long locks ever since leaving school at 16. My hair isn't hugely long any more as I recently had it cut and really tidied up. It looks smart and professional tied back. Will schools care? Are the interviews at Exeter likely to care?

How many teachers rock long ginger locks? I know I'll have to endure a few jibes from some of the children at first... but hey, I'll be teaching RE - folks'll expect a bit of quirkiness.

Do you know of any long-haired male teachers?

I've just finished my PGCE. A man on the course (aged approx 23) had long hair and a beard (bit like biker look) and got a job in a nice school quite early on in course too. With his hair tied back and a good suit on, he looked as smart as anyone else.
Teacher at my old school with long hair, everyone loved him.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
(edited 11 years ago)
Or you could grow a beard, dye it all brown and say you're Jesus.

Well you are going to be teaching RE. It would give you massive teach cred. :tongue:
Reply 12
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
You're not from Plymouth are you? >.>

Had a teacher with long hair when i was in school, i don't recall it ever being an issue or mentioned.

However the teacher we had with a cleft chin had the nickname (behind his back ...though i'm sure he knew) of Mr Bum chin ... ahh we were so witty :rolleyes:

I don't get how people can think of it as rebellious or immature, its not like your joining the military (who i believe need to chill the **** out about male hair length anyway).
Reply 14
A friend of mine is a physics teacher and he has long hair, so it certainly isn't an automatic barrier.

Just pull out all the stops for smartness in other aspects for your interview (ie: wear a suit not just shirt and trousers), and hopefully it'll balance out.

If they like you enough, your hair won't matter and it's not worth worrying too much about these things.

I was unsure about ear piercings other than the ear lobe and considered taking a piercing out for an interview, but when I got there I was relieved to see that one of the teachers interviewing me had a nose stud!
I'd say you look just fine man, looks tidy and cared for so good luck I say.
Reply 16
Original post by Straggler
My interview for PGCE Secondary RE at Exeter is ever-looming and I'm fretting over what I shouldn't be fretting so much about. I'm a bloke and I've sported long locks ever since leaving school at 16. My hair isn't hugely long any more as I recently had it cut and really tidied up. It looks smart and professional tied back. Will schools care? Are the interviews at Exeter likely to care?

How many teachers rock long ginger locks? I know I'll have to endure a few jibes from some of the children at first... but hey, I'll be teaching RE - folks'll expect a bit of quirkiness.

Do you know of any long-haired male teachers?

Hi!

Totally off point and topic, but, I was wondering how the interview went? What kind of things did you have to do? I'm looking at PGCEs for next year.

Thanks!
Reply 17
Haha random, I was gonna start a thread asking if my 'long' hair would be an issue for an LSA job interview and Primary Education degree interview :P Mine isn't looong-long, probably a bit longer than classic Zac Efron :P
Reply 18
I've only ever had one male teacher with long hair and then he cut it off for charity.

Anyway I don't think it's a problem, you just need to impress them with your personality.
Reply 19
There was a Maths teacher at our school with long brown hair and a beard, since teenagers aren't too creative, it was obvious he was Jesus. Apparently he also played in a rock band, he had some serious street cred in our school!

I have no idea about the recruitment side but certainly kids love a teacher with a "thing". You know, their trademark quirk. Like my History teacher who had an obsession with Johnny Depp except less concerning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending