The Student Room Group

Strategic Five Marketing- Help

Hi did you email them back? I applied, and got a phone call and email asap, i mean they rang like half an hour after i applied, and we made an appointment for the next day. The woman i spoke to sounded very smart and 'posh'. I was really looking forward to the prospect of working again after so long :\ sigh **
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by samsuji
Hi did you email them back? I applied, and got a phone call and email asap, i mean they rang like half an hour after i applied, and we made an appointment for the next day. The woman i spoke to sounded very smart and 'posh'. I was really looking forward to the prospect of working again after so long :\ sigh **

Same here, i emailed them instead and they assigned me an interview for today but i also have been reading that this is commission work :s
Even though i have applied for the customer service role x

PLEASE HELP :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mameha1990
Same here, i emailed them instead and they assigned me an interview for today but i also have been reading that this is commission work :s
Even though i have applied for the customer service role x

PLEASE HELP :frown:

You apply for customer service roles or admin roles (the ones I have fallen for normally state they are looking for graduates).

You go to the interview and they will tell you about the wonderful career development and earning up to £600 per week.... they will offer you the job but with an unpaid training day to "show you the ropes" and at this point the training day is going door to door selling X or Y... If you were likely to earn over the min wage for the hours you worked then the job would pay min wage.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Politics Student

Yeah i attended my interview and the director said that its so much as commission based but it is :s

Bit of a let down in all honesty cuz im 22 on 80 hrs a month @ £2.65ph apprentice wage with starting a family on my mind too so yea :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I worked at Strategic Five Marketing for a month and a half. It is a real business but it is door-to-door! The hours at 10am-11pm so be prepared for 13 hour days! As well as this, you have to work 6 days a week.
If you do decide to go to the interview/observation day, they take you out for a day and do door-to-door sales with you standing next to them. On lunch, they will show you the 'break-down'. This is them showing you a business model which shows that you will get to leadership in 2-4 weeks, and management in 8-10 months. I was in the company 6 weeks and was not even close to leadership, this is a definate lie!
I used to see at least 30 people a waiting for an interview, and loads of people started and lasted a day!
I was desperate for a job at the time, but it ended up costing me more money to get there than I was making. It is commission based, and you get 20 pound a sale, but I worked there 6 weeks and didnt get a penny! I made around 20 sales and they said there is a delay before it goes into your bank account, but I didn't see a penny of it!

Message me if you are considering going for the interview, but I strongly recommend you don't waste your time!
Hi Claire

I have just had my observation day and really liked the business plan. It showed progression. The thing is as you said it is comission based and you are self employed. This i do not like so much lol.

Having worked there for 6 weeks, did you actually recieve any money at all or get told by another colleague how much they have been paid. My account manager who i went out with yesterday made 4 x sales which equals £20. Having read this feed i am not to sure this is the job for me.

I mean progression is the most important thing to me but you need to earn along the way some sort of minimum.

Original post by claire478
I worked at Strategic Five Marketing for a month and a half. It is a real business but it is door-to-door! The hours at 10am-11pm so be prepared for 13 hour days! As well as this, you have to work 6 days a week.
If you do decide to go to the interview/observation day, they take you out for a day and do door-to-door sales with you standing next to them. On lunch, they will show you the 'break-down'. This is them showing you a business model which shows that you will get to leadership in 2-4 weeks, and management in 8-10 months. I was in the company 6 weeks and was not even close to leadership, this is a definate lie!
I used to see at least 30 people a waiting for an interview, and loads of people started and lasted a day!
I was desperate for a job at the time, but it ended up costing me more money to get there than I was making. It is commission based, and you get 20 pound a sale, but I worked there 6 weeks and didnt get a penny! I made around 20 sales and they said there is a delay before it goes into your bank account, but I didn't see a penny of it!

Message me if you are considering going for the interview, but I strongly recommend you don't waste your time!
Reply 6
Original post by mattwild2005
Hi Claire

I have just had my observation day and really liked the business plan. It showed progression. The thing is as you said it is comission based and you are self employed. This i do not like so much lol.

Having worked there for 6 weeks, did you actually recieve any money at all or get told by another colleague how much they have been paid. My account manager who i went out with yesterday made 4 x sales which equals £20. Having read this feed i am not to sure this is the job for me.

I mean progression is the most important thing to me but you need to earn along the way some sort of minimum.

If progression is the most important thing to you, why would you want to do a door-to-door sales job on commission? Think you need to rethink that!
Reply 7
Hey! On Wednesday I went for one of the assessment days and basically i got the job but it seems like nonsense to me. the girl who was supervising me said they travel around London. That put me off because I'm a student and even getting the weekly travel card is a lot so i don't see why i should i pay money to travel to every zone in London and not end up even getting a penny by the end of the day! :confused:
Reply 8
Original post by MandyA
Hey! On Wednesday I went for one of the assessment days and basically i got the job but it seems like nonsense to me. the girl who was supervising me said they travel around London. That put me off because I'm a student and even getting the weekly travel card is a lot so i don't see why i should i pay money to travel to every zone in London and not end up even getting a penny by the end of the day! :confused:

It's a nonsense position that'll do you no good. You'll make no money out of this and it's worthless experience for a CV. My advise would be to just walk away from it now and start searching again. Good luck :redface:
Reply 9
Original post by M1011
It's a nonsense position that'll do you no good. You'll make no money out of this and it's worthless experience for a CV. My advise would be to just walk away from it now and start searching again. Good luck :redface:

i definitely will! Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 10
hello claire, Today i applied for a job at Strategic Five Marketing and in around after 2-3 hrs they called me saying they were impressed with my CV and the application and stuff (plus i m 17). . i m really looking for a job but the problem is it is very far from where i live .... im considering going for the interview but i don't know .. looking at peoples past experience at Strategic Five Marketing i really dont know what i should do.....
Reply 11
Original post by MrAjThp
hello claire, Today i applied for a job at Strategic Five Marketing and in around after 2-3 hrs they called me saying they were impressed with my CV and the application and stuff (plus i m 17). . i m really looking for a job but the problem is it is very far from where i live .... im considering going for the interview but i don't know .. looking at peoples past experience at Strategic Five Marketing i really dont know what i should do.....

Don't waste your time. I'd always suggest young people take whatever job they can find to get a bit of experience, however this in my eyes is not a job. It's you walking door to door to sell **** on commission. Would rather be unemployed.
Reply 12
Hi everyone,

No I wouldn't waste your time. They act like a con company if you're asking me...and I can just tell that from talking to the person on the phone: a really patronising northerner who said 'my manager saw you uploaded your cv to career builder', and was I like yeh and....(in my head!), and then she was like 'is this something you remember doing? Basically you go onto it, and press this and upload your cv' bla bla bla, and I was like yes ok! lol...Then when she finally got round to talking properly it was just a load of balls saying about how successful and fast paced the company is and that they recruit in all sorts of sectors (so does everyone). And she didn't even arrange a meeting with me in the end but maybe that's for the best I'm thinking! Realised I'd sussed the company out probably.

And yeh they are literally all about free labour/working for peanuts. And do they even exist..said opposite Revolution in Reading...well I cant find them! Lol.
Hi,
Just wondered, because some of these posts are quite old. if anyone knows if the company are still the same? Had an email asking me to ring them to arrange an interview but reading this has put me off quite a bit! Any new info would be appreciated! ta :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Bookworm95
Hi,
Just wondered, because some of these posts are quite old. if anyone knows if the company are still the same? Had an email asking me to ring them to arrange an interview but reading this has put me off quite a bit! Any new info would be appreciated! ta :smile:

To quote my own post from above;

Original post by M1011
Don't waste your time. I'd always suggest young people take whatever job they can find to get a bit of experience, however this in my eyes is not a job. It's you walking door to door to sell **** on commission. Would rather be unemployed.
Reply 15
I applied for a job just like this in Nottingham. Sounds exactly the same to the T! As far as I know is was fully commission based, but when I started the company, other people there told me that they got basic wages. Have you guys even asked if you could do this?? I found out in the end that pay is always negotiable. People that apply for sales only roles actually prefer to work on commission which is why they offer it ( because to sales people its a good thing), but the reality is that if you just ask them, they can actually offer a basic! I asked and literally the next week I was sorted. After a couple of weeks though I actually decided to go on commission because I could actually earn so much more but I guess when I started I hadnt done anything like retail sales, or events or any kind of promotion work so I was so nervous. Worked out sound in the end. It actually funded me as I went through Uni.
The same thing has basically just happened to me today, they called me and said they were impressed and I got an interview for tomorrow, not sure if it's even worth me going if it's commision based
Reply 17
I got an interview and when I got there a woman said it is commission based but each time I get a sale I'll also get a fat suck of her so I took it.. Still no suck
****in waste of my time
Self employed.

Incredibly avoidance on the wage. Had to ask five times before a straight answer

Applied for customer support, told them repeatedly yet they kept talking about progression of the other role.

No basic, "guaranteed £250 weekly" Commission based. The application said 14500-15500 salary. Not self employed.

Slimy manager trying to connive like a snake to line his own pockets. Should have just walked out. Instead just showed i was bored.
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought I would share my experience from yesterday and today.
So on Thursday (25/06/2015) I applied for the role of 'Trainee Marketing Sales and Branding Assistant' - the online vacancy proposed a busy office based role with exciting opportunities to attend well established events. It said full training would be given and I felt like that would be a good role to be offered, hard to get a job these days as it is especially if you haven't had formal training or relevant experience. So as you can imagine I was thrilled to receive an email and phone call the next day and to hear that I had been personally selected and shortlisted by the MD himself. And they arranged for my interview that very same day. At the interview they still gave the perception it was an office role, but were now more vague about the wages. Online it said a basic salary of £16,000 which improves with progression and bonuses included. But at my initial interview they dodged the question and said it depended on hours etc. At that point I thought I wasn't doing well in the interview and that was why they were being discrete about company information. But to my surprise ten minutes after I left they called me and asked me to attend an open day at their office the following day (saturday). So in the space of three days I had applied, had an interview and the chance of an open day.
I arrived at the office on the saturday to find that the open day consisted of travelling out of the liverpool office and to southport, I was under the impression we were travelling to a business were they would demonstrate how they liaise with clients and produce new brand ideas - instead I shadowed a pubescent twit who was convinced he was going to be as big as the boss in 6 months, and the rest, I had to follow him around an estate while he knocked on peoples doors and tried to get them to set up a direct debit to support a charity. It was at the point an elderly, frail woman came to the door - frightened because she thought we were the police - when I realised the whole company was a sham - the advertisement online was not true in description and I had no intention on being a cold caller that prayed on the vulnerable, so I told the guy I didn't want to continue with the open day and he left me stranded in this residential area. I had to find a bus stop to get back to Southport to get the train back to Liverpool. I was not being paid for the open day and I had to spend £10 of my own money for travel - which no one had mentioned the previous day.
What you should be aware of is that there are other companies linked with this company that share offices - these are SKYLINE MARKETING AND ATLAS. They also mentioned another service called PLATFORM. Avoid these companies, they do not offer what they say they do, there is no basic salary, you receive £20 for every person that sets up a direct debit for a charity, which they said is 3 - 5 out of a 100 in every residential area. so if you want £60 for walking around 9 hours (shifts are 11 - 8pm) with no facilities and having to pay for your own transport, and that money is only guaranteed if you can con the elderly into subscribing - then go for it, but otherwise stay clear from these deceitful companies.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending