The Student Room Group

UK Border Force

Scroll to see replies

I've been reading messages here with interest as I had applied but only have just become a member. I had my interview last week, got the offer email on Monday and today sent off my security clearance. So very quick all in all I think.

You don't need experience I don't think in the particular field but you need to provide clear examples that tick all the "boxes" (from the document with the competencies on it). As long as you can provide examples that show you doing what the descriptions of each competency have then it should be OK.
Reply 181
Original post by jellybean55
I really wish they would provide feedback. It was probably nothing you did, they may have just had other applicants with more experience etc. Have you worked in a similar role before? When I went for my interview the other applicants I spoke to all seemed to have relevant experience.

I am an existing civil servant (equivalent grade) in another government dept and have significant investigatory experience in a similar role.
Reply 182
Sometimes, organisations do not internally recruit due to the fact that you are already beneficial in your position and you leaving would weaken a certain aspect of the organisation or difficult to replace.
Reply 183
A lot of people are mentioning that they are worrying about their lack of experience.

The presentation part obviously requires no previous experience.

As for the interview, this is marked against the core competency framework (linked in one of my early posts). As long as you hit all the relevant points and back them up using supporting evidence then you will score well. You do not have to use the same example as on your form, you can tell them you wish to use an alternative.

+If you merely quote your answer from your form word for word you will score badly.
+If add detail to your example but fail to say exactly how you met the framework objectives you will score badly.
+If you do not tailor you answer to the core competency framework the interview will be hard as you will not know that the interviewers are looking for.
+Do not just use the same words as on the core competency framework, if you say you did something and don't back it up you don't get the marks. Use your own words and support what you say.
+If the interviewer interrupts you this means you are getting off topic or that what you are saying is not relevant to the marking criteria. Often their questions will be trying to guide you to the areas where you are lacking marks.

You can use examples from university, from your personal life, from anything. The important thing is to meet the marking criteria.

Don't see your lack of experience as a disadvantage! If you have the skill to communicate how you meet the criteria then you will do well. However, this is a very competitive recruitment campaign so don't be disheartened if you don't get it. Just learn and move on. I sat six different assessment centers for different jobs before I learnt what the employers wanted.

If you get a job offer quickly then you probably scored very highly. If you are waiting for a long time and hear nothing then you are probably somewhere near the pass mark but as it is still early in the assessment stage, they are probably waiting for more assessment centers so they can figure out where to draw the pass line.

Good luck to everyone!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by simon91
the waiting time for a response is killing me, im sorry to hear for those who were unsuccessful.

Also I would've thought they would've replied to people systematically based on when you had your interview, such as mine was on Tuesday but notyouraverage's was also on tuesday and heard a response.

I had my interview on Tuesday and haven't heard anything - it does seem strange that some people have heard really quickly and some people have still not heard from a while back. The waiting is killing me too!
Reply 185
I had my interview on Tuesday and haven't heard anything - it does seem strange that some people have heard really quickly and some people have still not heard from a while back. The waiting is killing me too!

it does but then im not sure, based on k42's recent post, i don't think I may have met all the competencies targeted on the sheet so perhaps they are just delaying the bad news lol. But i guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed!
Original post by simon91
it does but then im not sure, based on k42's recent post, i don't think I may have met all the competencies targeted on the sheet so perhaps they are just delaying the bad news lol. But i guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed!

Same....I wish they would put us out of our misery, lol.
Original post by Krazy81
Hi all,

I used to work for the Border Force and thought i'd get in this time. I gave all he right answers, thought I stood a great chance because I have done the job before for three years at a specific airport.

But I sadly received a email stating I have been unsuccessful.

I really can't believe it that they are not providing feedback. If they are not taking me on, what chance have others got!!!

sorry to hear this - when was your interview if don'y mind me asking?
Reply 188
Original post by simon91

Same....I wish they would put us out of our misery, lol.

Just because you don't meet them all it doesn't mean you won't get the job, it's unlikely many people will hit all of them especially as the majority of candidates wouldn't have even viewed the framework. Each competency is marked out of 5 and you can still get 4 points if you did a good job when explaining the areas you did mention. If you missed 1 or 2 bullet points I wouldn't count yourself out just yet.

Wishing you all the best of luck!

I also saw a few posts further back regarding pay. You get your basic pay plus something called annualised hours working (AHW) which is paid as a percentage of your basic salary. At Heathrow I *think* AHW is around 35%. AHW is paid equally over 12 months so you will get paid the same each month.
Reply 189
Original post by Berkshireboy
I've been reading messages here with interest as I had applied but only have just become a member. I had my interview last week, got the offer email on Monday and today sent off my security clearance. So very quick all in all I think.

You don't need experience I don't think in the particular field but you need to provide clear examples that tick all the "boxes" (from the document with the competencies on it). As long as you can provide examples that show you doing what the descriptions of each competency have then it should be OK.

Hi, congratulations! what day did you have your interview if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 190
Original post by K42
Just because you don't meet them all it doesn't mean you won't get the job, it's unlikely many people will hit all of them especially as the majority of candidates wouldn't have even viewed the framework. Each competency is marked out of 5 and you can still get 4 points if you did a good job when explaining the areas you did mention. If you missed 1 or 2 bullet points I wouldn't count yourself out just yet.

Wishing you all the best of luck!

I also saw a few posts further back regarding pay. You get your basic pay plus something called annualised hours working (AHW) which is paid as a percentage of your basic salary. At Heathrow I *think* AHW is around 35%. AHW is paid equally over 12 months so you will get paid the same each month.

Thanks your input has been assuring and really helpful!
Reply 191
Is anyone still waiting to be interviewed or are the interviews now complete?

Similarly to some of you I'm also still waiting to hear back. I too thought it would be systematic based on when we had our interviews but seems like that isn't the case.

Sorry to hear from those who didnt get through and good luck to all those waiting to hear back. Hopefully it'll be good news!
Original post by Mase_atl
Is anyone still waiting to be interviewed or are the interviews now complete?

Similarly to some of you I'm also still waiting to hear back. I too thought it would be systematic based on when we had our interviews but seems like that isn't the case.

Sorry to hear from those who didnt get through and good luck to all those waiting to hear back. Hopefully it'll be good news!

When I booked mine I think today was the last option but I may be wrong. When was your interview?
Original post by simon91
Hi, congratulations! what day did you have your interview if you dont mind me asking?

I had it on the Wednesday 15th in the afternoon.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 194
When I booked mine I think today was the last option but I may be wrong. When was your interview?

Hope the interview went well for you.

I had mine last Wednesday and when I booked mine the last date appearing on the list was for last Wednesday, but seems like more dates must have been made available at a later date.

Hopefully we'll all hear back some time very soon.

I had mine last Wednesday and when I booked mine the last date appearing on the list was for last Wednesday, but seems like more dates must have been made available at a later date.

They must add them as they go along. When I got the email I immediately went to the website to book and the first available date was last Wednesday, there were plenty of dates this week and right until the end of the month.

Let's hope so! I also have no idea how many positions they're interviewing for and keep hearing different things.
Reply 197
Let's hope so! I also have no idea how many positions they're interviewing for and keep hearing different things.

Im guessing we'll be waiting till next week now to hear anything...assuming they send out emails next week!

I was hoping they'd let us know before tha bank holiday weekend :frown:
Reply 198
Im guessing we'll be waiting till next week now to hear anything...assuming they send out emails next week!

I was hoping they'd let us know before tha bank holiday weekend :frown:

ahh that means we will have to wait till Tuesday next week. the next few days are going to feel like waiting to collect exam results =(
Reply 199
Original post by simon91
ahh that means we will have to wait till Tuesday next week. the next few days are going to feel like waiting to collect exam results =(

Totally agree...Here's hoping we hear something on Tuesday...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending