The Student Room Group

UK Border Force

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Regarding the online tests for Border Force Officer- what is the second test, the so-called "checking" test about?
Reply 1381
Original post by Zvyezda
Regarding the online tests for Border Force Officer- what is the second test, the so-called "checking" test about?

You are given a table of facts and you have to point out incorrect entries at the bottom by checking. You will be able to do a practice session before the actual test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1382
Original post by MrsD147
Hello zoas :smile:

Day two finished. It was good, great in fact as they do not overload you with stuff. Next three weeks will be more intense, but hey, we are all bright, willing human beings and we'll get through it :wink: My group is quite cool so I'm happy. Trainers are wicked too and very supportive.
Good luck next week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bet you are the coolest one there. I would of loved to do training with you. Just have to meet you at Heathrow!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1383
Original post by zoas
I bet you are the coolest one there. I would of loved to do training with you. Just have to meet you at Heathrow!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww, thanks for the compliment. Well, I can confirm I am the silliest one amongst us all :wink: And yes, we will have to meet for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1384
Hi, How long have you had to wait from offer to training start date. I am still waiting and hoping for a Feb start date. Interview is a distant memory now lol back in October!
If any of you guys are moving here on or around Feb 1st and looking for a room-mate and prepared to pay sufficient money per month to not live in a complete dive then feel free to contact me. I'm already working at heathrow but my initial short-term rent contract is almost up and I have no intention of renewing it.

Only looking at areas on the heathrow connect line. That basically means Ealing Broadway.
Reply 1386
Just did my online tests. Not bad actually & I telly enjoyed the checking test. (sad arn't I!)

Fingers crossed it went ok, now to wait for the results. What's the next step? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1387
Original post by Jennie_H
Just did my online tests. Not bad actually & I telly enjoyed the checking test. (sad arn't I!)

Fingers crossed it went ok, now to wait for the results. What's the next step? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I quite liked it too lol. Which position have you applied to? Was face-to-face interview next for me
Reply 1388
Original post by cazmaz
Hi I'm starting the same date eton .. I asked a similar question to the recruitment manager when I spoke to him and his answer was it depends if other slots are available on another location but if you had hounslow down as a choice its unlikely unless yo delay your training and go the next training slot in marcha and then try and be based at croydon ..

Hello
i too am waiting for an IO start date, security has cleared now so hoping to finally be on the feb 25th course - is everyone on the same course going to based at the same place though? Maybe I am inferring too much from what you said! I had 1st choice London bridge, 2nd Croydon - I already live in London so hounslow/feltham would be a nightmare for me to get to...
x
Reply 1389
Hi Everybody,

Not been on here for a while. I was offered the IO Role back in Oct but decided not to take it as I had been offered a team support role with UKBA closer to home. I have been waiting ever since for my security to come through which is any day now.

I have however had a change in personal circumstances and decided to take the IO Role after all. I have contacted them and I have been given an offer today and they have today contacted my references. I am also hoping my security clearance which is due any day for the other role can be transferred.

I just have a few questions about training. Where is it? And how long is it for etc.??

Thanks guys
Reply 1390
Training is at Custom House, near Heathrow. Training is both there and Heathrow. It's for 8 weeks and you are not allowed to take leave during training. You will get more info 2 weeks before training starts and also when your training starts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1391
Hello

i thought I'd write some quick advice for all future colleagues in the ukba who are relocating from outside London...congrats first of all! It is a wonderful place, but it can be daunting. I moved here around 7 years ago from the midlands so hope it qualifies me to help...

firstly - where to look. I have only found two website that were any good - gumtree and spareroom.co.uk - the latter is definitely worth paying the one month membership fee (they have a money back guarantee if you don't find a place to live). I'm not on a commission I promise!

Areas - this is the trickiest task if you're new to London. If you have time then nothing beats walking around to get a feel for an area. Best place to start is with transport links - look at where you'll be based, then the tfl/train websites and trace where is easy to get to. The closest places aren't necessarily the easiest!

Who to live with - in terms of your day to day happiness this is prob the most important thing. You won't feel settled if you don't get on with your housemates. Consider their lifestyles and what they like to do at home - hide in their rooms/party and how this fits in with yours. This is much more important than finding people with identical interests. Do you want to live and work with your colleagues?

Different set-ups - what do I mean by that? Basically if you're not sure about the housemates you're moving in with then be careful about what contract you're signing as you don't want to be hasty and stuck somewhere for 6-12 months. Consider somewhere more flexible for a few weeks and then look for a home once you're here. By flexible I mean consider lodging with a family, or close to Heathrow (and gatwick) there are loads of guesthouses catering to cabin crew/pilots for around £15 per night. I know we'll be studying but there'll still be time to look around.

My best tip - find an empty flat/house you like (either from a private listing on the websites above or from an estate agency) and then find the people you want to live with, by asking around or putting up your own advert. I cannot stress enough how much nicer it is to find lovely like-minded people, and a property that you like, than to try to fit in with an existing set up. It's only my option but far fewer compromises are involved. Plus a fresh place for all tenants is a really nice way to start off.

i hope that helps at least one person a little bit. I am happy to provide individual advice about areas etc (south and west London I know v well, east and north less so) or any other aspects of moving to London - feel free to send me a pm if you prefer :smile:

x
Reply 1392
Original post by Keystone
Hello

i thought I'd write some quick advice for all future colleagues in the ukba who are relocating from outside London...congrats first of all! It is a wonderful place, but it can be daunting. I moved here around 7 years ago from the midlands so hope it qualifies me to help...

firstly - where to look. I have only found two website that were any good - gumtree and spareroom.co.uk - the latter is definitely worth paying the one month membership fee (they have a money back guarantee if you don't find a place to live). I'm not on a commission I promise!

Areas - this is the trickiest task if you're new to London. If you have time then nothing beats walking around to get a feel for an area. Best place to start is with transport links - look at where you'll be based, then the tfl/train websites and trace where is easy to get to. The closest places aren't necessarily the easiest!

Who to live with - in terms of your day to day happiness this is prob the most important thing. You won't feel settled if you don't get on with your housemates. Consider their lifestyles and what they like to do at home - hide in their rooms/party and how this fits in with yours. This is much more important than finding people with identical interests. Do you want to live and work with your colleagues?

Different set-ups - what do I mean by that? Basically if you're not sure about the housemates you're moving in with then be careful about what contract you're signing as you don't want to be hasty and stuck somewhere for 6-12 months. Consider somewhere more flexible for a few weeks and then look for a home once you're here. By flexible I mean consider lodging with a family, or close to Heathrow (and gatwick) there are loads of guesthouses catering to cabin crew/pilots for around £15 per night. I know we'll be studying but there'll still be time to look around.

My best tip - find an empty flat/house you like (either from a private listing on the websites above or from an estate agency) and then find the people you want to live with, by asking around or putting up your own advert. I cannot stress enough how much nicer it is to find lovely like-minded people, and a property that you like, than to try to fit in with an existing set up. It's only my option but far fewer compromises are involved. Plus a fresh place for all tenants is a really nice way to start off.

i hope that helps at least one person a little bit. I am happy to provide individual advice about areas etc (south and west London I know v well, east and north less so) or any other aspects of moving to London - feel free to send me a pm if you prefer :smile:

x

Hi

Thanks for the info very useful trust me.... As like you I'm coming from Midlands and not familiar with West London (Hounslow) at all. What do u work as? And what's UKBA like as organisation as flexibility to move back to midlands if ever I wanted too? Is that possible
Reply 1393
Original post by Keystone
Hello
i too am waiting for an IO start date, security has cleared now so hoping to finally be on the feb 25th course - is everyone on the same course going to based at the same place though? Maybe I am inferring too much from what you said! I had 1st choice London bridge, 2nd Croydon - I already live in London so hounslow/feltham would be a nightmare for me to get to...
x

Hi, the training locations are Croydon and hounslow. You get to choose, well I did lol. Was offered March 11th at Croydon but I declined and instead went for 1st April at hounslow. During the phone call where I got my offer, he also asked what my first choice was- it is London bridge.

I hope this helps.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1394
Original post by derbybar
Hi Everybody,

Not been on here for a while. I was offered the IO Role back in Oct but decided not to take it as I had been offered a team support role with UKBA closer to home. I have been waiting ever since for my security to come through which is any day now.

I have however had a change in personal circumstances and decided to take the IO Role after all. I have contacted them and I have been given an offer today and they have today contacted my references. I am also hoping my security clearance which is due any day for the other role can be transferred.

I just have a few questions about training. Where is it? And how long is it for etc.??

Thanks guys

Training is 8 weeks. The last 3 weeks is the arrest course. Like I said above, you should get to choose between Croydon and hounslow.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1395
Hi, can any one give me tips on passing the first online tests of ukba officer, These as far as know are made up of verbal testing and a checking test both consisting of 16 questions each. Are they hard as the one l have been practicing online. well any advice is most welcome cse l want to hit the ground rolling and atleast proceed on the next selection process. Mine are due by next week to be done at home. Thanks alot guys
Reply 1396
Original post by nippon
Hi, can any one give me tips on passing the first online tests of ukba officer, These as far as know are made up of verbal testing and a checking test both consisting of 16 questions each. Are they hard as the one l have been practicing online. well any advice is most welcome cse l want to hit the ground rolling and atleast proceed on the next selection process. Mine are due by next week to be done at home. Thanks alot guys

They are very similar to the practice ones, structure is the same.
Reply 1397
Original post by jahuss65
I quite liked it too lol. Which position have you applied to? Was face-to-face interview next for me

I've applied for Border Force Assistant Officer, Thames Gateway area. How about you? Felt quietly confident after the tests, now just to wait for the results x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1398
Original post by nippon

They are exactly the same as the practice ones they provide x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1399
Original post by Jennie_H
I've applied for Border Force Assistant Officer, Thames Gateway area. How about you? Felt quietly confident after the tests, now just to wait for the results x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same role but at heathrow. Next will be interview then, it's just competencies no presentation or anything else at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending